F-70-7-- possible stand-in for C&EI?

Scott Pitzer

In Classic Freight Cars Volume 6 by Maywald (I almost wrote "Henderson") there's C&EI 70-ton flat 42088 and the very similar looking SP 562781. Similar in having 16 stake pockets, with close spacing for the two nearest each end.
Is the C&EI car in the ballpark? I suppose it depends on what league you're playing in. (And I'm taking a chance on whether it was built by the end of our era.)

Scott Pitzer

Ed Hawkins

On Friday, April 29, 2005, at 06:24 AM, Scott Pitzer wrote:

In Classic Freight Cars Volume 6 by Maywald (I almost wrote
"Henderson") there's C&EI 70-ton flat 42088 and the very similar
looking SP 562781.  Similar in having 16 stake pockets, with close
spacing for the two nearest each end.
Is the C&EI car in the ballpark?  I suppose it depends on what league
you're playing in.  (And I'm taking a chance on whether it was built
by the end of our era.)

Scott Pitzer
Scott,
The SP and C&EI cars are of the same design and are both included on
the same AC&F general arrangement drawing. Last year I notified Bill
McClung of Red Caboose about this and sent him a good scan of the C&EI
car along with the painting specs. However, to date I've not seen any
evidence of a C&EI model from RC.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Scott Seders

Ed Hawkins wrote

Scott,
The SP and C&EI cars are of the same design and are both included on the same AC&F general arrangement drawing. Last year I notified Bill McClung of Red Caboose about this and sent him a good scan of the C&EI car along with the painting specs. However, to date I've not seen any evidence of a C&EI model from RC.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins
Ed:

What other roads had cars of this type?

Thanks,
Scott Seders

Ed Hawkins

On Saturday, April 30, 2005, at 08:11 AM, Scott Seders wrote:

Ed:
What other roads had cars of this type?
Thanks,
Scott Seders
Scott,
Just SP/T&NO and C&EI as far as I know.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Apr 30, 2005, at 10:17 AM, Ed Hawkins wrote:

On Saturday, April 30, 2005, at 08:11 AM, Scott Seders wrote:

Ed:
What other roads had cars of this type?
Thanks,
Scott Seders

Scott,
Just SP/T&NO and C&EI as far as I know.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins
Ed:

If there is a stencil drawing for the C&EI cars at the MOT, I'll gladly make decals (soon, too).

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Speedwitch Media
100 14th Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94402
info@speedwitch.com
www.speedwitch.com
(650) 787-1912

Ed Hawkins

On Saturday, April 30, 2005, at 03:54 PM, Ted Culotta wrote:

Ed:
If there is a stencil drawing for the C&EI cars at the MOT, I'll
gladly make decals (soon, too).
Regards,
Ted Culotta
Ted,
Unfortunately, no stencil drawing exists for this car in the MOT
collection. The railroad likely furnished AC&F a drawing of how they
wanted the car to be stenciled. I've got a decent broadside photo that
I could scan and put on the STMFC web site. This photo is from a 35 mm
copy neg, but should be adequate. I don't know about the ends. A lot of
flat cars didn't have any end lettering anyway. I'll send the scan your
way.
Ed

Scott Pitzer

I guess Red Caboose doesn't strive for Six Paint Schemes like P2K does! (C&EI would have given them #3.)
Scott Pitzer

On Saturday, April 30, 2005, at 03:54 PM, Ted Culotta wrote:

Ed:
If there is a stencil drawing for the C&EI cars at the MOT, I'll
gladly make decals (soon, too).
Regards,
Ted Culotta
Ted,
Unfortunately, no stencil drawing exists for this car in the MOT
collection. The railroad likely furnished AC&F a drawing of how they
wanted the car to be stenciled. I've got a decent broadside photo that
I could scan and put on the STMFC web site. This photo is from a 35 mm
copy neg, but should be adequate. I don't know about the ends. A lot of
flat cars didn't have any end lettering anyway. I'll send the scan your
way.
Ed

Yahoo! Groups Links

jerryglow2

Maybe they're trying to justify the relative high price of the car
because they claim it's a one road car. <g>

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Scott Pitzer <scottp459@e...> wrote:
I guess Red Caboose doesn't strive for Six Paint Schemes like P2K
does! (C&EI would have given them #3.)
Scott Pitzer

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

I guess Red Caboose doesn't strive for Six Paint Schemes like P2K does! (C&EI would have given them #3.)
Well, there is pre- and post-1956 lettering for SP and T&NO (that's four) on Class F-70-6, and both SP and T&NO (transfers from Pacific Lines) for Class F-70-7. That's six right there.

Publishers of books on railroad history

CASO <caso@...>

I guess Red Caboose doesn't strive for Six Paint Schemes like P2K does! (C&EI would have given them #3.)
Scott Pitzer

I received the dealer newsletter today from Red Caboose and they will be offering the flat car in C&EI in RTR form only.
RR-32140 for the plastic deck. RR-32141 for the wood deck. 12 car numbers.

Terry Link
Bramalea, Ontario, Canada
trlink@canadasouthern.com
www.canadasouthern.com

jerryglow2

I found this old post of yours while gathering info to do my SP kit.
Are any decals suitable to do it as C&EI or can you provide a pic I can
use to do artwork?

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Ed Hawkins <hawk0621@...> wrote:

The SP and C&EI cars are of the same design and are both included on
the same AC&F general arrangement drawing. Last year I notified Bill
McClung of Red Caboose about this and sent him a good scan of the
C&EI
car along with the painting specs. However, to date I've not seen any
evidence of a C&EI model from RC.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

jerryglow2

Sorry - I meant to send that direct to Ed.

Jerry Glow

On Sep 21, 2008, at 7:02 AM, jerryglow2 wrote:

I found this old post of yours while gathering info to do my SP kit.
Are any decals suitable to do it as C&EI or can you provide a pic I
can
use to do artwork?

Jerry Glow
Jerry,
Red Caboose eventually produced the C&EI model, their catalogue no.
RR-32140 and RR-32141. They are presently shown on RC's web site as
being sold.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

armprem

Jerry,Des Plaines Hobbies released a CE&I boxcar Kit #143 with a Viking roof.They still may have some.Armand Premo

On Sep 21, 2008, at 7:02 AM, jerryglow2 wrote:

I found this old post of yours while gathering info to do my SP kit.
Are any decals suitable to do it as C&EI or can you provide a pic I
can
use to do artwork?

Jerry Glow
Jerry,
Red Caboose eventually produced the C&EI model, their catalogue no.
RR-32140 and RR-32141. They are presently shown on RC's web site as
being sold.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Brian J Carlson <brian@...>

Armand: F-70-7 is a Flatcar.
Brian J Carlson P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

Jerry,Des Plaines Hobbies released a CE&I boxcar Kit #143 with a
Viking
roof.They still may have some.Armand Premo
Brian,Shows you how much I know about the C&IE.Quess I'll check my ORER before I offer to help.Blush,Armand Premo

Jerry,Des Plaines Hobbies released a CE&I boxcar Kit #143 with a
Viking
roof.They still may have some.Armand Premo
Thanks Ed. I couldn't even find the SP or any of the 53" flatcars until
you gave me the kit numbers and did a search.

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Ed Hawkins <hawk0621@...> wrote:

Red Caboose eventually produced the C&EI model, their catalogue no.
RR-32140 and RR-32141. They are presently shown on RC's web site as
being sold.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

jerryglow2

Thanks, Armand. I have one I think I purchased when they first came
out. I think they do still have them as I've been advising my friend a
former narrow guager about steam era freight cars and Des Plains shop.
He was able to stop there earlier this summer and saw them there.

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Armand Premo" <armprem@...> wrote:

Jerry,Des Plaines Hobbies released a CE&I boxcar Kit #143 with a
Viking
roof.They still may have some.Armand Premo

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Guys;

I do not know the details of what you are talking about, but sure would.

What, exactly, does this Des Plaines kit model? And you say they are still
available? Why have I not seen them on their website?

And what was this earlier C&EI kit from RC?

Thanks!

Elden Gatwood

________________________________

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , "Armand
Premo" <armprem@...> wrote:

Jerry,Des Plaines Hobbies released a CE&I boxcar Kit #143 with a
Viking
roof.They still may have some.Armand Premo

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Elden Gatwood asked:
"I do not know the details of what you are talking about, but sure
would. What, exactly, does this Des Plaines kit model? And you say
they are still available? Why have I not seen them on their website?"

Armand has unecessarily muddied the waters on this one. The Des
Plaines kit has absolutely NOTHING to do with the subject line. It's
a model of C&EI 64000-64499, pre-war AAR boxcars with Viking roofs.
The model is a Red Caboose (ex-IMWX) pre-war AAR boxcar with a new
roof casting. More details on the prototype can be found on this
table:
http://www.steamfreightcars.com/prototype/frtcars/1937aarpdfmain.html

"And what was this earlier C&EI kit from RC?"

This is the car in the original message in this thread - it's a group
of SP Class F-70-7 "look-alike" flats owned by the C&EI that Red
Caboose is offering on their HO scale F-70-7 models. Their website
has not been updated to include the F-70-7 in the HO scale kit
listings.

Ben Hom