B-50-22 series question

oliver

Tony,

These cars are listed in the 1993 RMC article as having Klasing
brakes, Apex steel roofwalks and Barber S2 trucks. However, the 1956
freight car roster reprint book published by the SPH&TS lists these as
being equipped with AAR double truss trucks with spring planks (eg:
Accurail truck).

My questions:
1.Which truck is correct? Where some sub groups of the B-50-22s with
the S2 which may not have been listed in the 1956 roster?
2.What are Klasing brakes (I suspect that these are similar to the
Ajax type)?
3. Did all these cars have steel roofwalks?

The P2k cars come with plankless trucks,wood roofwalks and Ajax brakes
as on their A-50-14 series DD cars. Is this combination in any way
correct for either series of cars?

Many thanks in advance
Stefan Lerché
Duncan, British Columbia

Doug Brown <brown194@...>

It appears that the term "double truss" is often misused and
misunderstood in this hobby. See Richard Hendrickson's article on
freight trucks in RPC. The term refers to the construction of a
stiffener in the lower chord of the sideframe. Accurails "Bettendorf"
truck does not have this feature. Kadeee's "Bettendorf" truck does have
this feature and has always been called a double truss truck. Although
not originally labeled as such (correctly), Kadee is now labeling their
T-section and Vulcan trucks as double truss trucks also, which they are
not.

Doug Brown

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Links

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Stefan Lerché wrote:
These cars are listed in the 1993 RMC article as having Klasing
brakes, Apex steel roofwalks and Barber S2 trucks. However, the 1956
freight car roster reprint book published by the SPH&TS lists these as
being equipped with AAR double truss trucks with spring planks (eg:
Accurail truck).
My questions:
1.Which truck is correct? Where some sub groups of the B-50-22s with
the S2 which may not have been listed in the 1956 roster?
Stefan, the Barber S2 feature is a bolster snubber. It is not a
truck. Many truck makers licensed the Barber feature and included it in
their proprietary trucks. Thus a buyer like SP could specify S2 trucks
and only mean trucks with S2 snubbers included. The B-50-22 class,
however, did not have S2 trucks. This is one of several (minor) errors
in the 1993 RMC articles which will be corrected in the box car volume
of my series, now in progress.
"AAR" likewise refers only to the sideframe pattern in a
general way; individual manufacturers implemented it in somewhat
varying fashion as to appearance (which modelers care about), but the
mechanical specs. were AAR. The trucks for this entire class were AAR
double-truss trucks from American Steel Foundries, and they included Simplex spring snubbers. The SP order summary does not mention spring
planks, for the very good reason that at that time (1941) the spring
plank was standard. Spring plankless trucks were unusual and would
merit mention.

2.What are Klasing brakes (I suspect that these are similar to the
Ajax type)?
Klasing is a make of handbrake. They are not the same as Ajax.
See any Cyc in the 1937 to 1953 period.

3. Did all these cars have steel roofwalks?
Yes, Apex as you list.

The P2k cars come with plankless trucks,wood roofwalks and Ajax brakes
as on their A-50-14 series DD cars. Is this combination in any way
correct for either series of cars?
See my volume 3: all three features are wrong for this
class. The cars had AAR trucks with spring planks (half Scullin, half
Bettendorf), Apex steel running boards, and Equipco handbrakes.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

I wrote:
See my volume 3: all three features are wrong for this class. The
cars had AAR trucks with spring planks (half Scullin, half Bettendorf), Apex steel running boards, and Equipco handbrakes.<<

I should have stated that the features described are for Class A-50-14. But obviously these features are equally wrong for B-50-22. In both cases, of course, they are easily corrected.

Publishers of books on railroad history

oliver

Tony,
Ah, now I understand. Thanks for clarifiying that! As often happens
with historical data, an omission (in this case based on common
knowledge at the time)can get one in trouble after the fact!

Unfortunately, that does mean that I've got to get an order in to
Plano for those roofwalks, but the trucks and brake won't be correct
in any case regardless of choice for the B-50-22s. It seems that even
with all the nice trucks and brake sets available there still is room
for more.

Volume 3 is apparently in the mail, so that should help with the
automobile cars!(I must say that my wallet is having trouble keeping
up with your prodigious output;-)

Thanks
Stefan

.. --- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Thompson <thompson@s...> wrote:

Stefan Lerché wrote:
[...]

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@s...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Lee Gautreaux

Stefan,

Hey, that is why they make food stamps! Actually, Tony's Vol III is
indeed an incredible resource and answers many questions about SP's
fleet of auto boxes and early flat cars. It is certainly the most
info packed of the series and whets my appetite for the box car
volume.

Volume 3 is apparently in the mail, so that should help with the
automobile cars!(I must say that my wallet is having trouble
keeping
up with your prodigious output;-)
Tony,

How far will your coverage go? I assume that you will cover all of
the 40 and 50 ton cars. Will you cover any of the early 70 or 100
ton cars?

Lee A. Gautreaux - The RailGoat
http://www.railgoat.railfan.net/

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Lee A. Gautreaux wrote:
How far will your coverage go? I assume that you will cover all of
the 40 and 50 ton cars. Will you cover any of the early 70 or 100
ton cars?
Yes, a bunch of the 70- and 100-ton cars.

Publishers of books on railroad history

jaley <jaley@...>

Will the real B-50-22 please stand up?

The data I have show the REAL B-50-22 as having double-truss spring
plankless trucks, Ajax hand brakes, and wood running boards.

I also see that the B-50-22 has a big "UNION PACIFIC" painted on the side.

:-)

Regards,

-Jeff

--