Chicago & Western Indiana freight cars

Paul Hillman

Anyone know of any photos/info for C&WI freight cars? I grew up along
the C&WI tracks in Chicago and remember seeing about a 36ft wooden
gondola, with either drop-bottom floors, or hinged side-doors. I
measured it and made a drawing of it when I was about 14. Don't have
it anymore.

I have searched the groups & web for any C&WI photos but haven't found
anything. I know the C&WI didn't have much rolling stock.

Paul Hillman

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Paul Hillman wrote:
Anyone know of any photos/info for C&WI freight cars? I grew up along
the C&WI tracks in Chicago and remember seeing about a 36ft wooden
gondola, with either drop-bottom floors, or hinged side-doors. I
measured it and made a drawing of it when I was about 14. Don't have
it anymore.
Sounds like it might be a Hart convertible gondola. You could check ORER entries for such cars, though most railroads did not list MOW equipment there.

Publishers of books on railroad history

proto48er

--- In STMFC@..., "behillman" <chris_hillman@m...> wrote:
Anyone know of any photos/info for C&WI freight cars? I grew up along
the C&WI tracks in Chicago and remember seeing about a 36ft wooden
gondola, with either drop-bottom floors, or hinged side-doors . . .
Paul - I think you can still SEE that car you wrote about!! I think it
is at the Illinois Railroad Museum in Union, Illinois. You might
contact them and ask. It has drop sides and drop floor "doors". I
remember photographing it there in the early 1980's. A.T. Kott

Paul Hillman

Durn,....sounds like that could be the car. I went to the IRM page and found it in their freight car roster. No picture though. Built by, Haskell & Barber, 1913, 40ft, Wood Side Dump Gondola, #1185. Now I just gotta search for Haskell & Barber cars. I'm in Houston, TX. Long way back up to Illinois. Thanks A.T.

--- In STMFC@..., "Paul Hillman" <chris_hillman@m...>
wrote:
Durn,....sounds like that could be the car. I went to the IRM page
and found it in their freight car roster. No picture though. Built by,
Haskell & Barber, 1913, 40ft, Wood Side Dump Gondola, #1185.
Ooops,...I think I found a "typo" in the Illinois RR Museum lit. That
should be Haskell & Barker, (not Barber)? Right?

Paul Hillman

Schuyler Larrabee

Paul Hillman wrote:
Anyone know of any photos/info for C&WI freight cars?
Well, Paul, from the 1935 ORER, I can offer you the entire listing . . .

Line 1
Type RB "Ice" No's 1450 to 1455,
Inside: L 35'-8", W 7'-9", H 6'-2.5" (yes, six feet)
Outside: L 36'-10", W 9'-4" H (from rail), 12'-4" Doors 4'-6"
1704 CF, 5,000 lb

Line 2
Type GDA, H&B Ballast No's 800 to 1399
Inside: L 37'-7", W 8'-6", H 3'
Outside: L 40'. W 9'-1", H (to running board) 4', (from rail) 6'-7"
CF 985, 100000 lb.

Passenger Equipment
MCB: "BA" Baggage No 1, 74' long, one only

MCB: "CA" Coach & Baggage, No 2, seats 30, 74' long, one only

MCB: "PA" Coach, No 15, seats 100, 74' long, one only

MCB: "PB" Coach, Nos 86-388, seats 72, 60' long, eight thus.

11 total passenger cars.

SGL

Paul Hillman

Schuyler,

That's a pretty unusual roster. 6 Ice Cars, 11 Passenger cars, and 600 gondolas. By the description, "H&B Ballast" would be "Haskell & Barker"?

Where does one get ORER's? I may still have a paperback book in storage, given to me 40 years ago, by a railroad man, which listed every U.S. railroad, officers, offices, mileage, cars, engines, etc. It is about 4" wide, 5" tall & about 3" thick. It also had lots of ads for railroad parts & materials. It was published around the late 40's I believe. It didn't list cars by class, etc., only "total freight cars", etc..

(I'm in a slow process of moving homes.)

Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
Well, Paul, from the 1935 ORER, I can offer you the entire listing . .

Line 1
Type RB "Ice" No's 1450 to 1455,
Inside: L 35'-8", W 7'-9", H 6'-2.5" (yes, six feet)
Outside: L 36'-10", W 9'-4" H (from rail), 12'-4" Doors 4'-6"
1704 CF, 5,000 lb

Line 2
Type GDA, H&B Ballast No's 800 to 1399
Inside: L 37'-7", W 8'-6", H 3'
Outside: L 40'. W 9'-1", H (to running board) 4', (from rail) 6'-7"
CF 985, 100000 lb.

Passenger Equipment
MCB: "BA" Baggage No 1, 74' long, one only

MCB: "CA" Coach & Baggage, No 2, seats 30, 74' long, one only

MCB: "PA" Coach, No 15, seats 100, 74' long, one only

MCB: "PB" Coach, Nos 86-388, seats 72, 60' long, eight thus.

11 total passenger cars.

SGL

Yahoo! Groups Links

Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...>

Paul Hillman asked:
"Where does one get ORER's?"

The most reasonably priced option is offered by Al Westerfield, who has
ORERs scanned on CD for $20 each:
http://www.westerfield.biz/cg040001.htm

The NMRA offers reprints of the 1943 and 1953 ORERs.
Members:
http://www.rrhistorical.com/cgi/NMRA_Store/nmra-store.cgi?ORDER_ID=111133996
&thispage=page5.html&ACTION=NEXT+PAGE
Non-Members:
http://www.rrhistorical.com/cgi/NMRA_Store_NonMembers/nmra-store.cgi?ORDER_I
D=112583808&thispage=page2.html&ACTION=NEXT+PAGE

Originals can still be found on eBay and at railroadiana shows, but be
prepared to pay premium prices for pre-1960 issues. Keep in mind also that
these were never meant as archival publications, and after 40-50 years, the
pages may be very fragile and will not stand up to regular use as a
reference.

Ben Hom

Schuyler Larrabee

Where to get ORERs? I can't really tell you, but when I have encountered them older than 1950, I have simply BOUGHT them,
regardless of what that meant to other expenditures. Bob of Bob's Photos showed up at an ELHS meeting a few years back with
a stack of about 30 of them, with red buckram hard covers, more or less one per year. IIRC, they were in the neighborhood of
$50 each for the 1930's copies, and more (a lot more) for the earlier years. That pretty well removed my discretionary
spending for a couple months (or more) but I came away with four, and I know who bought several others. I've seen them at
shows like Springfield, but (fortunately) they've been 1960's or so. I do have a few from the 60s/70s that I do not recall
how I came to be the owner.

SGL