Interesting IC boxcar 162099 photo

oliver

Can someone comment on this Steve Wzdeck photo of IC #162099. Who
built/ how does one describe this type of boxcar end?

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ic/ic162099asw.jpg

thanks
Stefan
Duncan, BC

Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...>

Stefan Lerche asked:
Can someone comment on this Steve Wzdeck photo of IC #162099? Who
built/ how does one describe this type of boxcar end?
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ic/ic162099asw.jpg

This is a Van Dorn end, applied to an indeterminate number of house cars in
the teens. I'm not sure how many railroads built cars with this end; a
builder's photo of PRR 63837, a Class XL built in 1912 is on page 18 of the
Summer 2000 Keystone (which extensively covers Class XL with articles by
Gary Rausch, Bob Johnson, and Al Westerfield).
http://www.club-e-stores.com/store/product51.html

Ben Hom

Westerfield <westerfield@...>

The photo is the AC&F builders photo. This is the only series of cars to my knowledge that was built in quantity with Van Dorn ends. As I recall (I looked it up many years ago) there were 300. There were 25 XLs with the end. SP had at least one B-50-4 with the end (pictured in a Cyc - 1916?) and MILW had at least one - I have a photo. I've been intending to do the end for several years. In fact I had decals made for the XL but always seem to run out of time. - Al Westerfield

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Al Westerfield wrote:
The photo is the AC&F builders photo. This is the only series of cars to my knowledge that was built in quantity with Van Dorn ends. As I recall (I looked it up many years ago) there were 300. There were 25 XLs with the end. SP had at least one B-50-4 with the end (pictured in a Cyc - 1916?) and MILW had at least one - I have a photo. I've been intending to do the end for several years. In fact I had decals made for the XL but always seem to run out of time.
The SP car was shown in the 1912 CBD and I am pretty sure there was only one of them. It will, of course, be covered in my Volume 4.

Publishers of books on railroad history

George Gounley <gounleys@...>

Further on Van Dorn:

1. The Railway Age for April 12, 1907 has a note titled, "The Van Dorn
Steel Box Car" with a view of what is probably the 1/10th full size model
discussed in the text. The end looks like the IC car except without the
corner triangles, each side sheet has a large bullseye at top and bottom
with two smaller, side by side bull's-eyes in between, and the roof panels
sound like corrugated iron between a flat area at the running board and an
angle at the sides.

2. Railway Master Mechanic, Vol. 36, p. 565 (Dec 1912?) has a picture of
5 CRI&P box cars (end one is 32556, all 5 cars look to be the same design)
which were rebuilt with Van Dorn ends. The article mentions, "Nearly three
years ago a Southern Pacific car was equipped with a Van Dorn . . ." and, ".
. . is in use on a number of roads, including the Illinois Central, the
Southern Pacific and the Rock Island."

3. Railway Master Mechanic, Vol. 37, p. 485 (Oct 1913) states, ". . . the
Illinois Central, after having an end in use for two years, recently placed
orders for 600 one-piece ends." (presumably for the 300 furniture cars) It
also has a drawing of a two-piece end, with the bullseye shallower and
elongated into concentric ovals, the triangles in the corners being replaced
by horizontal extensions of the outermost oval.

4. Railway Master Mechanic, Vol. 37, p. 573 (Dec 1913) has plan,
elevation and end views of the 50ft IC furniture cars pictured at
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ic/ic162099asw.jpg

George Gounley

Doug Brown <brown194@...>

Another unusual thing about the car is the doors. There are two on each
side and they BOTH open to the right.

Doug Brown

The photo is the AC&F builders photo. This is the only series of cars
to my knowledge that was built in quantity with Van Dorn ends. As I
recall (I looked it up many years ago) there were 300. There were 25
XLs with the end. SP had at least one B-50-4 with the end (pictured in
a Cyc - 1916?) and MILW had at least one - I have a photo. I've been
intending to do the end for several years. In fact I had decals made
for the XL but always seem to run out of time. - Al Westerfield

Yahoo! Groups Links

Walter M. Clark

--- In STMFC@..., "Benjamin Hom" <b.hom@w...> wrote:
Stefan Lerche asked:
Can someone comment on this Steve Wzdeck photo of IC #162099? Who
built/ how does one describe this type of boxcar end?
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ic/ic162099asw.jpg

This is a Van Dorn end, applied to an indeterminate number of house
cars in
the teens. I'm not sure how many railroads built cars with this end; a
builder's photo of PRR 63837, a Class XL built in 1912 is on page 18
of the
Summer 2000 Keystone (which extensively covers Class XL with articles by
Gary Rausch, Bob Johnson, and Al Westerfield).
http://www.club-e-stores.com/store/product51.html

Ben Hom
Ben (or anyone else),

Is there a reasonably accurate model of the Van Dorn end available in HO?

TIA

Walter M. Clark
Time stopped in November 1941
Riverside, California