Naiperville or Cocoa beach

Greg Martin

Brian you wrote:

If I have only enough money to attend one of the above events which would be
better? I have not been to either but want to attend one of them this year.
Which would offer more bang for the buck for a serious 50's modeler? I
realize our listmaster is biased here, and Florida in January sounds real good to
this Buffalonian but I thought I'd ask the question.

Brian J Carlson P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

Brian,

Both are very worthy of your travel dollars and January in Florida is a real
draw for me. I find that the seminars being broke up by a ½ hour is a
definite plus. Starting a seminar on the hour every hour is problematic especially
if the presentation goes over... Now try to find a seat in the next seminar.
The venues are equal and the company is great. The travel for me is no more
costly to either, but if I had restricted travel dollar to me I would head
south... This year I will not make Naperville but I shall make Cocoa Beach.

Greg Martin

Brian J Carlson <brian@...>

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On May 27, 2005, at 8:28 PM, Brian J Carlson wrote:

If I have only enough money to attend one of the above events which would be
better? I have not been to either but want to attend one of them this year.
Which would offer more bang for the buck for a serious 50's modeler? I
realize our listmaster is biased here, and Florida in January sounds real
good to this Buffalonian but I thought I'd ask the question.
They're both quite good. Florida in January is always a draw. The one great thing about Naperville for many who have not attended is the ability to buy Sunshine kits without the wait (well, the wait in line may be annoying, but it doesn't take six months!) The clinics at both are top notch.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Speedwitch Media
100 14th Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94402
info@...
www.speedwitch.com
(650) 787-1912

Jeff English

--- In STMFC@..., Ted Culotta <tculotta@s...> wrote:
Florida in January is always a draw.
Since three out of three posts have made basically the same statement,
I have to respond, if only for balance's sake, that I subscribe to the
Garrison Keillor philosophy, i.e., I resist the whole culture
of "Florida is better than northern winters".

Secondly, the timing of Cocoa Beach, so soon after the holidays, just
does not work for me.

I'll see you all in cool, crisp autumn Naperville.

Jeff English
Troy, New York

eci305@...

I have only been to the Cocoa Beach Meets, but from what I hear it is a more
diverse meet,
having both Std. and NG and different scales from N to O.

Lou

jaley <jaley@...>

On May 27, 11:28pm, Brian J Carlson wrote:
Subject: [STMFC] Naiperville or Cocoa beach
If I have only enough money to attend one of the above events which
would be
better? I have not been to either but want to attend one of them this
year.
Which would offer more bang for the buck for a serious 50's modeler? I
realize our listmaster is biased here, and Florida in January sounds
real
good to this Buffalonian but I thought I'd ask the question.

Brian J Carlson P.E.
Cheektowaga NY
Brian,

I am biased (I'm the Clinic Chair for Prototype Rails in Cocoa
Beach), and I've never been to Naperville, so take my comments with a
grain of salt.

I believe that Naperville is a bit larger than Prototype Rails,
but we are growing. I think we're pushing for 300 people this year. I
think we draw a lot of top-notch modelers, including many of the "big
names" from the magazines and from this list; I'm sure you'll find most of
the same folks (and more) at Naperville.

Naperville, of course, is basically Chicago, with all of the
things that go with it -- some fine hobby shops, railfanning, non-rail
museums etc. Cocoa Beach is, of course, in Florida, and the hotel is
literally on the beach. It is also very close to Kennedy Space Center,
and the resorts of Orlando (Disney, et al.). I have found that being on
the beach makes it very easy to convince my wife to come along. If you
have a wife and/or kids, you may wish to consider this.

Then there's the weather. Mr. English is entitled to his contrary
opinion, but most of the folks from the Northeast who came down this year
left home in a blizzard and arrived to 80 degree sunshine. I'll let you
guess if they were reluctant to go home :-)

I don't think you can go wrong with either meet. I hope you'll
come to Florida so that I can meet you in person (wanna give a clinic? :-)
)

Regards,

-Jeff

--