Combine Cars attached to Freight trains

birdbiz2003 <birdbiz2003@...>

What kits are available to model the end of passenger era in the early
1950's of extremely rural America that had combination passenger./
baggage cars which were usually one or two pre 1930's ones in small
freight trains. These ran from the 1880's 1956 era some attached to the
early road diesel trains pulled by GP-7 RS-1 and S-2. The combine cars
close out passenger service on the branch lines and small towns of the
C & O by 1955. Want a model in HO of one of the ones now in a museum
or tourist RR that ran in revenue service till 1953-1954.
Am considering a 1954 era diorama of a freight train with USRA to 1952
built freight cars.

Sincerely,

Tyler Turpin

pierreoliver2003 <pierre.oliver@...>

Tyler,
You didn't seem to be road specific, so let me direct you to one
company that makes a very nice heavy-weight combine.
http://home.cogeco.ca/~bgrgroup/index.html
They offer a CNR combine which is a pleasure to build. Hope this helps.
Pierre Oliver
http://www.elgincarshops.com/

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "birdbiz2003" <birdbiz2003@y...> wrote:

What kits are available to model the end of passenger era in the early
1950's of extremely rural America that had combination passenger./
baggage cars which were usually one or two pre 1930's ones in small
freight trains. These ran from the 1880's 1956 era some attached to the
early road diesel trains pulled by GP-7 RS-1 and S-2. The combine cars
close out passenger service on the branch lines and small towns of the
C & O by 1955. Want a model in HO of one of the ones now in a museum
or tourist RR that ran in revenue service till 1953-1954.
Am considering a 1954 era diorama of a freight train with USRA to 1952
built freight cars.

Sincerely,

Tyler Turpin

Paul Hillman

Tyler,

Labelle Woodworking has HO & O wooden combine kits, plus freight cars.

www.labellemodels.com

Paul Hillman

Andy Miller <asmiller@...>

PRR PB70 combines are available RTR from Bachmann and as kits from Eastern
Car Works. Walthers offers a RTR CNW short combine. The ECW kits are
undec. The Bachmann and Walthers cars come in a wide variety of roads, all
bogus except for the PRR and CNW.
Bethlehem Car works may also offer combines for the Reading or CNJ. I don't
recall offhand.

regards,

Andy Miller

What kits are available to model the end of passenger era in the early
1950's of extremely rural America that had combination passenger./ baggage
cars which were usually one or two pre 1930's ones in small freight trains.
These ran from the 1880's 1956 era some attached to the early road diesel
trains pulled by GP-7 RS-1 and S-2. The combine cars close out passenger
service on the branch lines and small towns of the C & O by 1955. Want a
model in HO of one of the ones now in a museum or tourist RR that ran in
revenue service till 1953-1954.
Am considering a 1954 era diorama of a freight train with USRA to 1952
built freight cars.

Sincerely,

Tyler Turpin

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What
would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2xaSZB/SOnJAA/Y3ZIAA/9MtolB/TM

Eric Hansmann <ehansmann@...>

--- Andy Miller wrote:
PRR PB70 combines are available RTR from Bachmann and as kits from
Eastern
Car Works. Walthers offers a RTR CNW short combine. The ECW kits
are
undec. The Bachmann and Walthers cars come in a wide variety of
roads, all
bogus except for the PRR and CNW.
Bethlehem Car works may also offer combines for the Reading or
CNJ. I don't
recall offhand.

In addition to these, there are the older styled Pullman Palace line
from MDC/Roundhouse. I have been working on a few for this same type
of service on our club layout. These are an early 20th century
prototype with wood sheathing and truss rods.

While these are nice kits, there is a buildup of flash on the window
areas. At first I thought is was the window frame, then I realized
it was heavy flash. It seems the mold and die do not fit as well as
they once did, allowing plastic to ooze a bit at some locations.

Still a decent car for $13. And it does look great trailing a mixed
freight of pre-WWII cars.

Eric Hansmann
Morgantown, W. Va.

Scott Pitzer

older styled Pullman Palace line
from MDC/Roundhouse. I have been working on a few for this same type
of service on our club layout. These are an early 20th century
prototype with wood sheathing and truss rods.

Still a decent car for $13. And it does look great trailing a mixed
freight of pre-WWII cars.

Eric Hansmann

I've thought that a section of one of these cars, on the ground, would make a nice shelter/storage building next to a yard full of pre- or even post-WWII freight cars.
Scott Pitzer

Paul Hillman

Before Mike gets mad about an OT passenger car subject;.........since combination-cars carried LCL, etc., freight, wouldn't they be considered as being, at least, a pseudo freight-car?

Paul Hillman