Roofwalks on Southern PS-1 boxcars

Mark Heiden

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know what style of steel roofwalk was used on Southern 40'
PS-1 boxcars in the series 23487-26486, 3,000 cars built in 1948?

Thanks,
Mark Heiden

Garth Groff <ggg9y@...>

Mark,

AFAIK, all PS-1s had steel running boards, regardless of roads. I believe they were required to be steel on all new construction by that time.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Mark Heiden wrote:

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know what style of steel roofwalk was used on Southern 40' PS-1 boxcars in the series 23487-26486, 3,000 cars built in 1948?

Thanks,
Mark Heiden

Fred in Vt. <pennsy@...>

Garth,

Apex "seems" to please most orders; however, you cannot assume which maker. Take a careful look at overhead shots published in the mags or books; then compare the proto pix to the different ones available.
Blawknox--Apex---and the one with round holes, which name escapes me at the moment.

Fred Freitas

Mark Heiden wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>Does anyone know what style of steel roofwalk was used on Southern 40'
>PS-1 boxcars in the series 23487-26486, 3,000 cars built in 1948?
>
>Thanks,
>Mark Heiden

Andy Miller <asmiller@...>

"Morton" ?

regards,

Andy Miller

Apex "seems" to please most orders; however, you cannot assume
which maker. Take a careful look at overhead shots published in the mags or
books; then compare the proto pix to the different ones available.
Blawknox--Apex---and the one with round holes, which name escapes
me at the moment.

Fred Freitas

Fred in Vt. <pennsy@...>

Andy,

Next time I go out parts buying I'm taking you along. Every time I head out alone I get a case of C.R.S.; then leave before the vital parts are in the bag. Thanks for the note.

Fred Freitas

Apex "seems" to please most orders; however, you cannot assume
which maker. Take a careful look at overhead shots published in the mags or
books; then compare the proto pix to the different ones available.
Blawknox--Apex---and the one with round holes, which name escapes
me at the moment.

Fred Freitas

Garth Groff <ggg9y@...>

Fred,

True, true. I don't know if Pullman pushed whatever "specialties" were cheapest, or if choice was entirely up to the buyer. I know that nearly all WP PS-1s, both 40' and 50', used Morton running boards (a brand with the "round holes" you mention). This sounds like customer a specification to me. I have the order documentation on some AC&F gondolas the WP ordered for their Tidewater Southern subsidiary, and nearly all the components seem to have been open to negotiation.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Mark Heiden wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>Does anyone know what style of steel roofwalk was used on Southern 40' PS-1 boxcars in the series 23487-26486, 3,000 cars built in 1948?
>
>Thanks,
>Mark Heiden

SamClarke

Hello Mark Heiden,

All of the photos that we have of this series of PS-1s have the Morton
running board, which has the round holes. The brake step is a Morton with
round holes.
Also note that there are 3000 cars in this series and with that many cars
in a lot it certainly is "possible" that there is more than one type of
running board used, like they do with hand brakes.

Sam Clarke
Kadee Quality Products

Does anyone know what style of steel roofwalk was used on Southern 40'
PS-1 boxcars in the series 23487-26486, 3,000 cars built in 1948?

Thanks,
Mark Heiden

Yahoo! Groups Links

Mark Heiden

Hi Sam,

Thanks very much!

Mark Heiden

--- In STMFC@..., <mail@k...> wrote:
Hello Mark Heiden,

All of the photos that we have of this series of PS-1s have the
Morton
running board, which has the round holes. The brake step is a
Morton with
round holes.
Also note that there are 3000 cars in this series and with that
many cars
in a lot it certainly is "possible" that there is more than one
type of
running board used, like they do with hand brakes.

Sam Clarke
Kadee Quality Products

Does anyone know what style of steel roofwalk was used on
Southern 40'
PS-1 boxcars in the series 23487-26486, 3,000 cars built in 1948?

Thanks,
Mark Heiden

Yahoo! Groups Links

Allen Cain <allencain@...>

Mark,

I am looking at the fine work by George Eichelberger titled "Southern
Railway Equipment Drawings and Photographs - Volume 1, Book 1 - 40'
All-Steel Box Cars" which I really recommend if you are doing detail
modeling of Southern box cars. I note this as I am NOT an expert on running
boards but only off this to help.

On page 146 reference is made to "steel Morton products longitudinal and
latitudinal running boards (roof walks)."

On page 156 there is a detailed drawing of the running boards also
referencing Morton as the supplier. On this drawing it shows a close up of
the boards showing an arrangement of larger circles surrounded by six
smaller circles.

I hope this helps.

Allen Cain

Mark Heiden

Hi Allen,

Yep, that does help! Thank you!

Mark Heiden

--- In STMFC@..., "Allen Cain" <allencain@c...> wrote:
[...]

mike turner <yardcoolieyahoo@...>

According to the SRHA 40' steel boxcar book, all had Morton running boards. This was SOU standard until the mid 50s.

Mike Turner
Simpsonville, SC

mike turner <yardcoolieyahoo@...>

According to the SRHA 40' steel boxcar book, all PS-1s had Morton running boards. This was SOU standard until the 60s when they became unavailable.

The standards were wood walks and Alan Wood (AW) Super Diamond 5/16 steel brake steps through 1939. During and after 1940, Morton steel walks and brake steps were the standard.

Mike Turner
Simpsonville, SC