PRR Freight Car Color (was PRR BOXCAR RED)

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Bill Keene asked:
"I am about ready to apply paint to a Tichy X26 50-ton USRA single
sheathed box car and as this is my first PRR freight car modeling
effort (hard to believe with over 25 years of modeling) I find that
am not sure as to what paint color PRR Boxcar Red might be. Can
someone offer suggestions, formulas, etc?"

Some manufacturers aren't sure either! ;-)

What shade to use depends on when the car was repainted. Generally,
cars painted before 1945 were a more orange shade of Freight Car
Color. In the late 1940s, changes in the paint formula resuled in a
darker shade.

My preferences in Polly Scale is Zinc Chromate Primer for the pre-
1945 FCC, and Special Oxide Red for the post-1945 FCC. Other
listers will chime in with what works best with other paint brands.

Whatever you do, don't paint your model any paint labeled "Tuscan
Red." Pennsy modelers may not agree on what's the correct shade of
FCC, but they'll agree on that point.

Ben Hom

armprem

A couple of my earliest resin models are showing signs of paint
blistering.Obviously they were not thoroughly cleaned to remove all the mold
release medium. Any ideas on how one would go about stripping a resin
model ?Armand Premo

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Links

Bruce Smith <smithbf@...>

On Jun 24, 2005, at 5:07 AM, Armand Premo wrote:

A couple of my earliest resin models are showing signs of paint
blistering.Obviously they were not thoroughly cleaned to remove all the mold
release medium. Any ideas on how one would go about stripping a resin
model ?Armand Premo
Armand,

A lot depends on the paint you used. The solvent type paint strippers like ELO etc are also pretty good at removing ACC bonds <G> and may affect the resin (although i have no direct experience there. If you used an acrylic paint, I would suggest either 90% ethanol or ammonia (windex). These will strip with a minimum fuss, although you might want to test them on the resin first just to be sure (like somewhere on the underframe). Alternative, a grit blaster can really do this nicely, with no chemicals at all, but you do need to be somewhat careful. Some resins are softer than other and you may blast off rivets etc if you are not careful.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

__
/ &#92;

Bruce Smith <smithbf@...>

On Jun 24, 2005, at 4:35 AM, benjaminfrank_hom wrote:

Bill Keene asked:
"I am about ready to apply paint to a Tichy X26 50-ton USRA single
sheathed box car and as this is my first PRR freight car modeling
effort (hard to believe with over 25 years of modeling) I find that
am not sure as to what paint color PRR Boxcar Red might be. Can
someone offer suggestions, formulas, etc?"

Some manufacturers aren't sure either! ;-)

What shade to use depends on when the car was repainted. Generally,
cars painted before 1945 were a more orange shade of Freight Car
Color. In the late 1940s, changes in the paint formula resuled in a
darker shade.

My preferences in Polly Scale is Zinc Chromate Primer for the pre-
1945 FCC, and Special Oxide Red for the post-1945 FCC.
My pre-1945 FCC is a 50/50 mix of zinc chromate and special oxide. To my eye it is a perfect match to the Red Caboose early FCC, which has been been called "the gold standard of FCC" on models (too bad they changed it in some of the latest runs...). If you use Greg Martin's +red, +orange panel weathering approach, this gives you the perfect series of paints to do this as the zinc chromate is +orange and the special oxide is +red.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

__
/ &#92;
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Greg Martin

Ben,

GAve you his favorites and he uses acrylic based enamels I ue solvent based enamels so my preference for a good base PRR FCC is Floquil Zinc Chromate Red as the old stand-by, then weather from there. The point I think is we all have favorites but a good safe "color" is a Red Oxide color. I also mix some colors to my taste with Testors in the little ¼ oz. bottles.

Greg Martin

[...]

Montford Switzer <ZOE@...>

Greg:

Doesn't Scalecoat make a color specifically for this? How does it stack
up?

Mont Switzer

[...]

OK,What color do you use for B&O?Armand Premo

[...]

Mont,

Yes, although I don't use much Scalecoat they do offer a Rich Oxide Red which many Pennsy Modeler stand firmly behind.

The strongest point I can make is that in my modeling the in "base" color is just that. Like Richard Hendrickson has always reminded me the color can and likely should vary somewhat as no two colors look the same regardless if they were painted the same day or not just becasue of the way they weather. One car heads south and hits heavy rains and one car wanders west and hits dry arid weather and the sun can bleach and dull the finish rather rapidly. So choose your poisen and remember that the base color doesn't have to be a dead match for any color ship unless you plan to create a "builders photo" model.

I ahve always taken a different path to my weathering and the base color is present and the "tone" is the same but the finished car could never match a color ship.

Greg Martin

[...]

pennsylvania1954

Bill and Mont: Ben and Greg gave good advice as always. Here are a
couple of other paints to start with:

Scalecoat II: PRR Freight Car Red

Modelflex: Light Tuscan Oxide Red

I don't who thought up this name at Modelflex, but it is the one (and
only!!) paint with "Tuscan" in the name which can be used on a PRR
freight car.

Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Bill Keene asked:
"I am about ready to apply paint to a Tichy X26 50-ton USRA single
sheathed box car and as this is my first PRR freight car modeling
effort (hard to believe with over 25 years of modeling) I find that
am not sure as to what paint color PRR Boxcar Red might be. Can
someone offer suggestions, formulas, etc?"

William Keene <wakeene@...>

Hello all,

A big THANK YOU to those that have responded to my request. The
appreciated.

-- Bill Keene

On Jun 24, 2005, at 8:12 PM, pennsylvania1954 wrote:

Bill and Mont: Ben and Greg gave good advice as always. Here are a
couple of other paints to start with:

Scalecoat II: PRR Freight Car Red

Modelflex: Light Tuscan Oxide Red

I don't who thought up this name at Modelflex, but it is the one (and
only!!) paint with "Tuscan" in the name which can be used on a PRR
freight car.

Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

> Bill Keene asked:
> "I am about ready to apply paint to a Tichy X26 50-ton USRA single
> sheathed box car and as this is my first PRR freight car modeling
> effort (hard to believe with over 25 years of modeling) I find that
> am not sure as to what paint color PRR Boxcar Red might be. Can
> someone offer suggestions, formulas, etc?"

Yahoo! Groups Links
To visit your group on the web, go to:

Service.