McKean 40' PS-1 combo door box car

Bill McCoy <bugsy451@...>

I picked up a McKean Master Series undecorated 40' PS-1 combination
plug and sliding door box car kit in April. The car has an 8'
youmgstown silding door and a 7' smooth riveted plug door. There are
cast on door stops for the plug and sliding door and complete 15'
door tracks. The sides are welded. The ends are 5-4 with the small
horizontal rib at the top and the 6 vertical ribs below the roof
walk. It has the riveted seam between the upper and lower end
halves. The roof is the PS-1 roof but with out roofwalk supports
which may make this car too modern for this group but it's hard to
imagine a 40' box after 1966 when roofwalks started dissapearing
from new cars. The side sills tabs appear to be PS-1 at the bolsters
and there is a side sill reinforcement running the length of the 15'
door opening.

A couple of months ago I posted to the group and got a number of
trying again. The Milwaukee and Rock Island were close but still
have differences in side sill detail and I believe are ACF cars.

Thanks in advance for any help identifying this car.

Bill McCoy
Jax

Mark Heiden

Hi Bill,

According to the NEB&W website, 40' PS-1 boxcars were still in
production after 1966. In 1966 Atlantic Coast Line received 800
cars, in 1967 Seaboard Coast Line received 950 cars, and in 1968,
the final year listed for 40' PS-1 construction, the Milwaukee
received 25 cars. However, all of these cars were built with single
doors.

The Milwaukee did have 40' PS-1s with combination doors, series
29000-29499, 500 cars built 1958. A solid side sill ran the length
of the car, with a drop section spanning from bolster to bolster. I
couldn't find a reference to such a Rock Island car.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a ready prototype for your
car, but side sills can be modified with strip styrene.

Mark Heiden

--- In STMFC@..., "Bill McCoy" <bugsy451@c...> wrote:
[...]

Mark, Thanks. I'll go with the MILW 29000s with the side sill mods.
Any suggestion for a picture source? Also there was an outfit that
advertised roofs and separate roofwalk supports which I'll need.
This was recent and the roof got good reviews and the company name
has left me. Anyone got any idea who it is?

Bill McCoy
Jax

--- In STMFC@..., "Mark Heiden" <mark_heiden@h...> wrote:
[...]

Doug Brown <brown194@...>

12-82 MM has a photo of MILW 29000 combo door PS-1 built 7-58. Reprinted
in The Best of Mainline Modeler's FREIGHT CARS, Book 1, Phoenix
Publishing, 1991.

Doug Brown

[...]

Garth Groff <ggg9y@...>

Bill,

Are you thinking of the Molco roof? It is a 50' diagonal panel type, and not at all suitable for a PS-1. Intermountain roofs, underframe and ladder/brake detail parts are available in some shops in four packs (try Caboose Corner in Bellows Falls, I think he will take phone orders and ship). If not, you can order directly from Intermountain by phone.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Bill McCoy wrote:

[...]

A couple of months ago I posted to the group and got a number of responses but still didn't get an exact match for the car so I'm trying again. The Milwaukee and Rock Island were close but still have differences in side sill detail and I believe are ACF cars.

Thanks in advance for any help identifying this car.

Bill McCoy
Jax

Yahoo! Groups Links

Bill McCoy <bugsy451@...>

That's the one. They advertised their roof walk supports as a
separate item. Thanks a million.

Bill McCoy
Jax

wrote:

[...]

Doug, Thanks. I have the MM book and that's the car. The side sill
mods shouldn't be too bad but will need rivets transplanted.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Biill McCoy
Jax
--- In STMFC@..., "Doug Brown" <brown194@t...> wrote:
[...]

Fred in Vt. <pennsy@...>

Bill,

Garth is correct about Caboose Corner; Bob Cook keeps a large supply of kitbasher / scratch builder parts on hand. He will ship anywhere, try
802-463-4575, Wed thru Sun, noon till 8:00pm.
I'm always adding to his retirement fund !!!

Fred Freitas / Pres
New England Capter/ PRRT&HS
Bennington, Vt.

Bill McCoy wrote:

>Mark, Thanks. I'll go with the MILW 29000s with the side sill mods.
>Any suggestion for a picture source? Also there was an outfit that
>advertised roofs and separate roofwalk supports which I'll need.
>This was recent and the roof got good reviews and the company name
>has left me. Anyone got any idea who it is?
>
>Bill McCoy
>Jax
>
>--- In STMFC@..., "Mark Heiden" <mark_heiden@h...> wrote:
>

>>Hi Bill,
>>
>>According to the NEB&W website, 40' PS-1 boxcars were still in
>>production after 1966. In 1966 Atlantic Coast Line received 800
>>cars, in 1967 Seaboard Coast Line received 950 cars, and in 1968,
>>the final year listed for 40' PS-1 construction, the Milwaukee
>>received 25 cars. However, all of these cars were built with
>>

>single
>

>>doors.
>>
>>The Milwaukee did have 40' PS-1s with combination doors, series
>>29000-29499, 500 cars built 1958. A solid side sill ran the
>>

>length
>

>>of the car, with a drop section spanning from bolster to bolster.

>>couldn't find a reference to such a Rock Island car.
>>
>>Unfortunately, I don't think there is a ready prototype for your
>>car, but side sills can be modified with strip styrene.
>>
>>Mark Heiden
>>
>>--- In STMFC@..., "Bill McCoy" <bugsy451@c...> wrote:
>>

>>>I picked up a McKean Master Series undecorated 40' PS-1
>>>

>>combination
>>

>>>plug and sliding door box car kit in April. The car has an 8'
>>>youmgstown silding door and a 7' smooth riveted plug door. There
>>>

>>are
>>

>>>cast on door stops for the plug and sliding door and complete
>>>

>15'
>

>>>door tracks. The sides are welded. The ends are 5-4 with the
>>>

>small
>

>>>horizontal rib at the top and the 6 vertical ribs below the roof
>>>walk. It has the riveted seam between the upper and lower end
>>>halves. The roof is the PS-1 roof but with out roofwalk supports
>>>which may make this car too modern for this group but it's hard

>>>imagine a 40' box after 1966 when roofwalks started dissapearing
>>>from new cars. The side sills tabs appear to be PS-1 at the
>>>

>>bolsters
>>

>>>and there is a side sill reinforcement running the length of the
>>>

>>15'
>>

>>>door opening.
>>>
>>>A couple of months ago I posted to the group and got a number of
>>>trying again. The Milwaukee and Rock Island were close but still
>>>have differences in side sill detail and I believe are ACF cars.
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance for any help identifying this car.
>>>
>>>Bill McCoy
>>>Jax
>>>

>Yahoo! Groups Links

Train travel in italy North american

armprem

Fred,I thought Caboose Corner had closed,Armand Premo

Bill McCoy wrote:

>Mark, Thanks. I'll go with the MILW 29000s with the side sill mods.
>Any suggestion for a picture source? Also there was an outfit that
>advertised roofs and separate roofwalk supports which I'll need.
>This was recent and the roof got good reviews and the company name
>has left me. Anyone got any idea who it is?
>
>Bill McCoy
>Jax
>
>--- In STMFC@..., "Mark Heiden" <mark_heiden@h...> wrote:
>

>>Hi Bill,
>>
>>According to the NEB&W website, 40' PS-1 boxcars were still in
>>production after 1966. In 1966 Atlantic Coast Line received 800
>>cars, in 1967 Seaboard Coast Line received 950 cars, and in 1968,
>>the final year listed for 40' PS-1 construction, the Milwaukee
>>received 25 cars. However, all of these cars were built with
>>

>single
>

>>doors.
>>
>>The Milwaukee did have 40' PS-1s with combination doors, series
>>29000-29499, 500 cars built 1958. A solid side sill ran the
>>

>length
>

>>of the car, with a drop section spanning from bolster to bolster.

>>couldn't find a reference to such a Rock Island car.
>>
>>Unfortunately, I don't think there is a ready prototype for your
>>car, but side sills can be modified with strip styrene.
>>
>>Mark Heiden
>>
>>--- In STMFC@..., "Bill McCoy" <bugsy451@c...> wrote:
>>

>>>I picked up a McKean Master Series undecorated 40' PS-1
>>>

>>combination
>>

>>>plug and sliding door box car kit in April. The car has an 8'
>>>youmgstown silding door and a 7' smooth riveted plug door. There
>>>

>>are
>>

>>>cast on door stops for the plug and sliding door and complete
>>>

>15'
>

>>>door tracks. The sides are welded. The ends are 5-4 with the
>>>

>small
>

>>>horizontal rib at the top and the 6 vertical ribs below the roof
>>>walk. It has the riveted seam between the upper and lower end
>>>halves. The roof is the PS-1 roof but with out roofwalk supports
>>>which may make this car too modern for this group but it's hard

>>>imagine a 40' box after 1966 when roofwalks started dissapearing
>>>from new cars. The side sills tabs appear to be PS-1 at the
>>>

>>bolsters
>>

>>>and there is a side sill reinforcement running the length of the
>>>

>>15'
>>

>>>door opening.
>>>
>>>A couple of months ago I posted to the group and got a number of
>>>trying again. The Milwaukee and Rock Island were close but still
>>>have differences in side sill detail and I believe are ACF cars.
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance for any help identifying this car.
>>>
>>>Bill McCoy
>>>Jax
>>>

>Yahoo! Groups Links

Train travel in italy North american

Service.

----

Yahoo! Groups Links

Bill McCoy <bugsy451@...>

I'll check with the Caboose Corner. All I need are roofwalk supports
since the car has the PS-1 roof. I believe they were offered by
Molco separately. Thanks to all.

Bill McCoy
Jax

wrote:

>>>I picked up a McKean Master Series undecorated 40' PS-1
>>>

>>combination
>>

>>>plug and sliding door box car kit in April. The car has an
8'
>>>youmgstown silding door and a 7' smooth riveted plug door.
There

>>are
>>

>>>cast on door stops for the plug and sliding door and
complete

>15'
>

>>>door tracks. The sides are welded. The ends are 5-4 with the
>>>

>small
>

>>>horizontal rib at the top and the 6 vertical ribs below the
roof
>>>walk. It has the riveted seam between the upper and lower
end
>>>halves. The roof is the PS-1 roof but with out roofwalk
supports
>>>which may make this car too modern for this group but it's
hard

>>>imagine a 40' box after 1966 when roofwalks started
dissapearing
>>>from new cars. The side sills tabs appear to be PS-1 at the
>>>

>>bolsters
>>

>>>and there is a side sill reinforcement running the length
of the

>>15'
>>

>>>door opening.
>>>
>>>A couple of months ago I posted to the group and got a
number of
so I'm
>>>trying again. The Milwaukee and Rock Island were close but
still
>>>have differences in side sill detail and I believe are ACF
cars.

>>>Thanks in advance for any help identifying this car.
>>>
>>>Bill McCoy
>>>Jax
>>>

>Yahoo! Groups Links

Train travel in italy North american

c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
Terms of
Service.

---------
----

Yahoo! Groups Links

7/12/05

Richard Dermody <ddermody@...>

Bill,

Garth is correct about Caboose Corner; Bob Cook keeps a large supply of
kitbasher / scratch builder parts on hand. He will ship anywhere, try
802-463-4575, Wed thru Sun, noon till 8:00pm.
I'm always adding to his retirement fund !!!

Fred Freitas / Pres
New England Capter/ PRRT&HS
Bennington, Vt.
Fred,

Too late.

Caboose Corner has been sold. They had a final sale that ended July 3rd and
are scheduled to close on the property tomorrow, July 13th.

John (not Bob) and Sally will be moving to the Northeast Kingdom, where
they'll build a new home. Rutland caboose 36 will be going with them.

Sorry you missed the final sale - John would have welcomed your additions to
his retirement fund, especially now that he's really retired (for the
moment, anyway).

Dick

Fred in Vt. <pennsy@...>

Dick,

Thanks for the unhappy news, guess that's what you get for not going to the LHS every month!
Now I'll have to haul over to NY to the last 2 shops in the 50 mile zone.
All the donations to Mr Cook's retirement over the past 8 years was money well spent, no complaints. Surprises me that they WANT to resettle above 45 deg. No. Lat.; it's cold enough at this end of the state! Must be more modelers in the Burlington & Essex Jct. area. I wish them well.

Fred Freitas

> Garth is correct about Caboose Corner; Bob Cook keeps a large supply of
> kitbasher / scratch builder parts on hand. He will ship anywhere, try
> 802-463-4575, Wed thru Sun, noon till 8:00pm.
> I'm always adding to his retirement fund !!!
>
> Fred Freitas / Pres
> New England Capter/ PRRT&HS
> Bennington, Vt.

Fred,

Too late.

Caboose Corner has been sold. They had a final sale that ended July 3rd and
are scheduled to close on the property tomorrow, July 13th.

John (not Bob) and Sally will be moving to the Northeast Kingdom, where
they'll build a new home. Rutland caboose 36 will be going with them.

Sorry you missed the final sale - John would have welcomed your additions to
his retirement fund, especially now that he's really retired (for the
moment, anyway).

Dick

Garth Groff <ggg9y@...>

Oh, poop! I was expecting to drop by his store when I was on my mandatory visit with the relatives this September. Can anyone recommend any other decent hobby shops in the area? The three I know of in central New Hampshire are pretty bad.

Isn't there something in Rutland?

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Richard Dermody wrote:

[...]

Tim O'Connor

Central N.H.?? There's Perkins Road Depot in Londonderry, but
that's in southern N.H.

Oh, poop! I was expecting to drop by his store when I was on my
mandatory visit with the relatives this September. Can anyone recommend
any other decent hobby shops in the area? The three I know of in central
New Hampshire are pretty bad.

Isn't there something in Rutland?

Kind regards,
Garth G. Groff

Fred in Vt. <pennsy@...>

Garth,

With respect to the builders pieces question, finding another shop that keeps an inventory like Mr Cook did is a tough one. Heard the same comments about the shops in NH, so no help there. Mohawk in Schenectady has lots of parts, just not the car builders pieces.
Where about are you starting from, maybe the list can find an appropriate "rest stop" on your route. Can't hurt to try at this point.

Fred Freitas

Richard Dermody wrote:

>>Bill,
>>
>> Garth is correct about Caboose Corner; Bob Cook keeps a large supply of
>>kitbasher / scratch builder parts on hand. He will ship anywhere, try
>>802-463-4575, Wed thru Sun, noon till 8:00pm.
>>I'm always adding to his retirement fund !!!
>>
>>Fred Freitas / Pres
>>New England Capter/ PRRT&HS
>>Bennington, Vt.
>>

>Fred,
>
>Too late.
>
>Caboose Corner has been sold. They had a final sale that ended July 3rd and
>are scheduled to close on the property tomorrow, July 13th.
>
>John (not Bob) and Sally will be moving to the Northeast Kingdom, where
>they'll build a new home. Rutland caboose 36 will be going with them.
>
>Sorry you missed the final sale - John would have welcomed your additions to
>his retirement fund, especially now that he's really retired (for the
>moment, anyway).
>
>Dick
>

>Yahoo! Groups Links

Garth Groff <ggg9y@...>

Fred,

We travel from Charlottesville, VA to Ashland, NH in two jumps with an overnight stop in Oneonta, NY. The return trip will take three days as we are going to stop for the Pioneer Tunnel in Pennsylvania on the way back (I don't know where Sally has us booked for an overnight, but its somewhere near Frackville). Stops along the way are unlikely, unless they are close to where we are overnighting.

I know of three shops in central New Hampshire (Intervale, Wolfboro Falls, and maybe there's still one in Laconia; all are dogs as far as advanced models and parts are concerned). I don't know what's down in Corcord or beyond, but I might head south on a day trip once we're there.

I understand there is a pretty good shop in Rutland. Steam Shack? Is this the same as the guy who offers the resin kits under that name. The ads suggest the store is only open by appointment.

I'm glad I stockpiled a lot of stuff from Caboose Corner on previous visits. Some of it didn't have a use for, but bought just to make sure I'd have it if I ever wanted same. Looks like its going to be time for another quantity order from Intermountain.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Fred in Vt. wrote:

Garth,

With respect to the builders pieces question, finding another shop that keeps an inventory like Mr Cook did is a tough one. Heard the same comments about the shops in NH, so no help there. Mohawk in Schenectady has lots of parts, just not the car builders pieces.
Where about are you starting from, maybe the list can find an appropriate "rest stop" on your route. Can't hurt to try at this point.

Fred Freitas

Fred in Vt. <pennsy@...>

Garth,

Please contact me off list for info---