Monon Bucyrus crane

bierglaeser <bierglaeser@...>

I recently acquired a small photo that shows a MONON Bucyrus crane, the
kind with the 'fishbelly' side sills & arch bar trucks. According to
the information available to me this was Bucyrus serial number 182
delivered in May or June 1912. The crane had a 100-ton capacity.

Is the foregoing correct? Did the Monon number this crane? If yes,
what number? When was it retired? What color was it painted? My
photo show the crane lettered "MONON" along the bottom edge of the
cab. Approximately when would or could this lettering have been first
applied?
Thanks in advance to all who have info and respond.
Gene Green

Michael Aufderheide

Gene,

The derrick is likely SWD 1. The following is
information I have from a MOW dept. report written
June 8, 1946:

Car No.: SWD #1
Kind: Wrecking Derrick.
Underframe: Steel.
Body: Steel.
Trucks: 7 x 12 [journals]
CI&L acquired: new 1912.
Notes:
-Capacity 100 tons.
-8 wheel trucks [?]
-Self propelled.
-Equipped with electric lights furnished by Pyle
National generator.
-Manufactured by Bucyrus Co., Milwaukee Wis.

It was first numbered X-1. Renumbered to SWD 1 prior
to mid 30's. Renumbered to 80001 mid 50's. I'm
relatively sure it lasted until the end (1971). I
have the diagram for it as well if you want it. The
diagram lists the serial number as #1452. I think this
derrick was stationed at Shops and the other (150 ton)
derrick was at Bloomington. Mont?!?!?

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

--- bierglaeser <bierglaeser@...> wrote:

I recently acquired a small photo that shows a MONON
Bucyrus crane, the
kind with the 'fishbelly' side sills & arch bar
trucks. According to
the information available to me this was Bucyrus
serial number 182
delivered in May or June 1912. The crane had a
100-ton capacity.

Is the foregoing correct? Did the Monon number this
crane? If yes,
what number? When was it retired? What color was
it painted? My
photo show the crane lettered "MONON" along the
bottom edge of the
cab. Approximately when would or could this
lettering have been first
applied?
Thanks in advance to all who have info and respond.
Gene Green

__________________________________
Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html

bierglaeser <bierglaeser@...>

Mike,
Thank you. Will spend 3 weeks in August at a secret location making
a drawing of a Bucyrus 75-ton crane. Wonder what differences there
were between 75-ton version and 100-ton version.
Gene Green

--- In STMFC@..., Mike Aufderheide <mononinmonon@y...>
wrote:
Gene,

The derrick is likely SWD 1. <snip>

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

--- bierglaeser <bierglaeser@y...> wrote:

I recently acquired a small photo that shows a MONON
Bucyrus crane, the
kind with the 'fishbelly' side sills & arch bar
trucks. <snip>
Gene Green

Montford Switzer <ZOE@...>

Gene and others:

From the railroad records, photos, my notes as well as from personal
recollections I can tell you that during the late steam era the Monon
operated two heavy steam wreckers. They were originally numbered S.W.D.
(Steam Wreck Derrick?) 1 and S.W.D. 3. Some time around the end of WW
II they were renumbered X-1 and X-3 respectively. Another renumbering
occurred in the late 1950's when the received numbers 80001 and 80003
respectively as part of a general renumbering of non-revenue rolling
stock at that time.

Both derricks were steam powered Bucyrus-Erie units built in 1912 and
1929 respectively. Derrick #1 weighed 210,000 lbs and had a main hoist
capacity of 100T. Derrick #3 weighed 237,000 lbs with a main hoist
capacity of 150T. Derrick 1 rode on arch bar trucks with friction type
bearings. Derrick #3 had cast steel side frame trucks that looked a lot
like the Andrews design with roller type bearings.

Both units were painted black and usually had white lettering of the
style currently in use by the railroad so there were quite a few changes
over the years. During the period that the railroad was painting
freight cars black with yellow lettering at least one of the derricks
received these colors. Reflective end striping was also used in later
years.

Both wreckers made it to 1971 and the L&N merger, but because they were
old and steam powered did not last long after that. I'm not sure of
their final disposition.

Photos seem to verify that SWD 1 was kept at Shops (Lafayette, IN) and
SWD 3 at McDoel (Bloomington, IN). Naturally whey were used for
clearing wrecks, but were also called out for bridge and other heavy
work along with their support cars. I've seen photos of them being used
in earlier years by the Stores Department for handling bundles of axles.

The Monon also operated a Locomotive Crane that I've always known as
LC-2. It weighed 109,000 lbs with a maximum lifting capacity of 42,800
lbs. It was built by the Browning Co. in 1916 and explains why there
was not an SWD 2, it being LC-2 instead. The last time I saw it it had
a diesel engine radiator sticking out of it so you can guess the rest.

Within the past three years the Monon Society's THE HOOSIER LINE ran an
article on these cars written by George Lortz. It was much more
informative that what I have written here and had a number of very
interesting photos. Contact me off line if you would like more
information on this issue of THL or Monon Society membership.

Mont Switzer