Tichy PFE Reefers

Paul Lyons

Just about finished with three Tichy PFE reefer kits that we are going to
make R-40-4's. The only picture I can find is in one of Richard H.'s old PFE
articles where the caption reads "ARA U section" trucks. The builder's photo is a
little dark so I can't do my normal physical search of model trucks. Can
anyone convert this statement to a model truck or simply tell me what model truck
best represents what would be under PFE R-40-4 class cars in 1950. Sorry that I
am so bad on truck identification!
Paul Lyons
Laguna Niguel, CA

Paul Lyons

Thanks Tim, The photo is exactly what I needed. The trucks are different than
the Builder's photo I spoke of in the earlier post. Maybe in the 51
reconditioning the original trucks were changed out. No matter, the Accurails work for
me based on the photo of #71737. Tony is such a joy! He knows d%*n good and
well I have his PFE book. The photo on page 117 is what sent me looking for
other documenation. When I can't see the truck spring pack with a #7 Optisor lens
it is time to move on. Tony, I will say you have shamed me into buying the
revised version as my book only has 433 pages. I know, you need the money....
Paul Lyons
Laguna Niguel, CA

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Paul Lyons wrote:
Just about finished with three Tichy PFE reefer kits that we are going to
make R-40-4's. The only picture I can find is in one of Richard H.'s old PFE
articles where the caption reads "ARA U section" trucks. The builder's photo is a
little dark so I can't do my normal physical search of model trucks. Can
anyone convert this statement to a model truck or simply tell me what model truck
best represents what would be under PFE R-40-4 class cars in 1950. Sorry that I
am so bad on truck identification!
Much as I love RIchard H's old PFE articles, I do tend to look at the PFE book to answer questions like this. On page 117 is an okay photo showing trucks on R-40-4, and on page 434 we learn that these were Columbia Steel trucks. The ARA U-section (and spring planks) tells you all the rest of what you need to know. I will let others opine about the closest model truck match.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

Tony Thompson wrote

Much as I love RIchard H's old PFE articles, I do tend to look
at the PFE book to answer questions like this. On page 117 is an okay
photo showing trucks on R-40-4, and on page 434 we learn that these
were Columbia Steel trucks. The ARA U-section (and spring planks) tells
you all the rest of what you need to know. I will let others opine
about the closest model truck match.

I sent Paul a better photo... I told him the Accurail Bettendorf was a
good match. But there's nothing really wrong with using the Tichy trucks
(of the same name) either.

Tim O.

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Paul Lyons wrote:
Thanks Tim, The photo is exactly what I needed. The trucks are different than
the Builder's photo I spoke of in the earlier post. Maybe in the 51
reconditioning the original trucks were changed out.
Trucks were often changed, as PFE record cards show.

Tony is such a joy! He knows d%*n good and
well I have his PFE book. The photo on page 117 is what sent me looking for
other documenation. When I can't see the truck spring pack with a #7 Optisor lens
it is time to move on. Tony, I will say you have shamed me into buying the
revised version as my book only has 433 pages. I know, you need the money....
I could, if asked, have provided a scan of the page 117 photo and better-contrast versions of the other photos in that section. What was asked was the best model truck, since Richard's listing of the ARA truck pattern was already known.
As for the money, with three authors on the PFE book and with nearly all sales at wholesale, not retail, my royalty on one book won't buy a latte at Starbucks.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Paul Lyons

In a message dated 7/16/2005 12:24:05 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
thompson@... writes:
What
was asked was the best model truck, since Richard's listing of the ARA
truck pattern was already known.
Tony, Sorry for the shot, but your Professor approach to things sometimes
drives me nuts! I asked about "best model truck" in hopes of short cutting the
process. With that said, let's see if I can "learn" something prototypical from
this tread. If I know it is an ARA truck, that automatically tells me how the
spring pack is arranged and spaced? If I know it is an ARA truck I know there
is only ONE side frame shape? I ask because the side frame shape of the ARA
U-section side frame truck shown on page 39 of CYC #4 is very different from the
side frame shape of the truck pictured on the car on page 117 of your PFE
Book. Your help is appreciated!
Paul Lyons
Laguna Niguel, CA

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Paul Lyons said:
I asked about "best model truck" in hopes of short cutting the
process. With that said, let's see if I can "learn" something prototypical from
this tread. If I know it is an ARA truck, that automatically tells me how the
spring pack is arranged and spaced?
Not necessarily, though there were not many variations for a given tonnage capacity.

If I know it is an ARA truck I know there
is only ONE side frame shape? I ask because the side frame shape of the ARA
U-section side frame truck shown on page 39 of CYC #4 is very different from the
side frame shape of the truck pictured on the car on page 117 of PFE book.
No. If you look in a Cyc for ARA or AAR truck specifications (at the front of the truck section) you will find a set of dimensional parameters to permit interchangeable parts, but NOT a particular truck side frame pattern. Different truck manufacturers DID offer their own (modest) variations on side frame shapes, with different degrees of top curvature, etc. But since many car owners changed out trucks as needed, after a time in service, cars of a particular group (class or part of a class) often would have different trucks from each other.
Big roads (SP is one example) had a list of "okay" or approved truck patterns, called out by pattern number or drawing number (often a supplier drawing), and suppliers of trucks on a car order could supply anything that was approved. There are instances of truck orders being spread over six truck makers for a single boxcar class, with the only proviso being "ARA trucks" or "AAR trucks" to be supplied.
As Richard Hendrickson pointed out in his two articles on freight trucks, we are a long way from having a very full set of model trucks from which to match particular prototypes. But nowadays we can usually come close on sideframe pattern and presence or absence of spring planks, along with some spring package patterns.

Publishers of books on railroad history

rwitt_2000 <rmwitt@...>

Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@c...> wrote:

I sent Paul a better photo... I told him the Accurail Bettendorf was a
good match. But there's nothing really wrong with using the Tichy
trucks (of the same name) either.
FWIW, I recall that Richard H. has stated in the past that the size of
the journals on the Tichy truck are closer in size of those for 40-ton
trucks while the journals on the Accurail truck represent those for a
50-ton truck. The "bulk" of the truck frame and journal size maybe
more important for some modelers to capture the "right" look than the
particular shape of the side frame.

Bob Witt

Tim O'Connor

Bob, you're correct. But since R-40 means "40 ton" and R-30 "30 ton",
what size journal do you think is better, Tichy or Accurail?

As an aside, I like to use the Kadee "Bettendorf" to represent 70 ton
journals...