Gondolas and the Steel Industry (was Flat Cars as per the 4/1949 ORER)

Gatwood, Elden <Elden.Gatwood@...>

Tim;
I am in a similar situation, and thinking that maybe Charlie is
referring to a specific mill/stretch of railroad in his modeling.

At USS' mills in Pgh, I have been told that they required 40% of their
cars in finished product shipment service to be 65' gons, undoubtedly
because of the length of steel structural shapes being shipped. Their
use of boxcars was very low, with a few here and there probably needed
for spare parts, electrical equipment, and etc., and a group assigned to
bagged ammonium sulfate service. There just wasn't enough other use to
require a lot.

Yard shots I have in my possession of yards that serviced the mills show
a huge proportion of gondolas, and only a scattering of boxcars. There
is a great shot of PRR's 30th Street Pgh yard on the Pitt digital
library site that shows this. Plus some in the Morning Sun URR book,
their P&LE books, and others. It is an interesting subject of study,
which I tried to cover in my "RRs and the steel industry" presentation I
gave recently. It is one that I also do not claim to fully grasp.

This gon comes as great news to me, as I was not too happy about using
the ECW kit to represent non-PRR 65-footers, and am unable to afford
many of those PSC brass models. I am looking forward to the additional
roads these should come out in, and Richard's article to fill me in on
the history.

This issue also brings up a very interesting article I read from one of
the old magazines dedicated to the RR industry, in which there was an
analysis of what cars the industry was looking for most. Much of the
focus was on gons, which the industry folks were complaining that the
RRs did not have enough of to satisfy their needs. 65-footers were high
on that list. I have since wondered if this did not have to do with the
RRs hatred for maintenance (and thus, perhaps purchasing effort) on that
car type. I know the PRR detested having to do so much work all the
time on keeping their fleet in service, an unfortunate outgrowth of
sitting astride the biggest steel-producing region in the country (at
that time).

What are your thoughts on this?

Elden Gatwood