Intermountain ACF TYPE 27 Tank car

Gary E. Ray <garyeray@...>

I model 1926 and was wondering if the Intermountain ACF type 27 10000 gallon
car (which appears to have forge welded tank sheets) can be modified by
changing brake gear, adding additional rows of rivets, and perhaps modifying
dome to represent a slightly older version with the courses riveted on (such
as the Kanotex Refining Co. car on page 62 of Ed Kaminski's AC&F Co. book.

Same question about converting an 8000 gallon model to riveted courses
rather than forge welded - I'm not a rivet counter and would like a suitable
standin for the earlier ACF cars.

Thank you in advance for your advice,

Gary Ray

I model 1926 and was wondering if the Intermountain ACF type 27 10000 gallon
car (which appears to have forge welded tank sheets) can be modified by
changing brake gear, adding additional rows of rivets, and perhaps modifying
dome to represent a slightly older version with the courses riveted on (such
as the Kanotex Refining Co. car on page 62 of Ed Kaminski's AC&F Co. book.

Same question about converting an 8000 gallon model to riveted courses
rather than forge welded - I'm not a rivet counter and would like a suitable
standin for the earlier ACF cars.

Thank you in advance for your advice,

Gary Ray

Gary E. Ray <garyeray@...>

Thank to those who gave a quick reply. I do have several of the type 21's.

Gary

D. Scott Chatfield

Gary Ray asked:

I model 1926 and was wondering if the Intermountain ACF type 27 10000 gallon
car (which appears to have forge welded tank sheets) can be modified....

First off, the ACF Type 27 gets its name from being introduced in 1927, thus it is one year too late for you. And if memory serves, Intermountain's version is a later production model with AB brakes and only two straps holding the tank to the frame.

Life-Like's Type 21s model ACF's design produced from 1921 into the late '20s (I gather there was some overlap in production of Type 21s and 27s, Richard or Ed?), so you need those.

Lastly, the Intermountain Type 27 models (both 8,000 and 10.000 gallon versions) most definitely represent riveted prototypes. Their prototypes have three longitudinal courses (sheets) that make up the tank body, so there are double rows of rivets at the 12 o'clock, 4 o'clock, and 8 o'clock positions. They might not be visible in some photos of the models, but they are most definitely there.

Scott C

bierglaeser <bierglaeser@...>

Backdating AB brakes to KC on any car is simplicity itself. Remove all
three AB components and mount the KC triple valve/reservoir/cylinder
where the AB cylinder was with the KC cylinder in the same orientation
as was the AB cylinder. Add a mounting bracket for the triple valve
end.

The brake levers remain unchanged. The 'train line' remains
unchanged. Run a branch pipe from the branch pipe Tee on the 'train
line' to the triple valve on the KC brake outfit. If you care to model
them there should be a cut-out cock and dirt collector in that order
between branch pipe Tee and triple valve. I can send a diagram to
anyone interested.

In the case of the Life-Like tank car, the cylinder and cylinder lever
are too far apart making it appear that the brakes are applied and then
some. The drawing of the ACF Type 21 in the 1928 Car Builders' Cyc
shows the car with brakes applied. Those with access to the 28 CBC can
see that Life-Like mounted their brake cylinder too close to the middle
of the car. Move the brake cylinder (whether AB or KC) towards the
cylinder lever by a distance sufficient to halve the cylinder's piston
rod. Again, I can send a diagram if anyone is interested.

One final improvement will have the Life-Like foundation brake gear
looking pretty good. (Foundation brake gear is the rods and levers.)
The top rods (the levers that attach to the trucks) should terminate
about 11 scale inches short of the bolster center line and about 11
inches to the side of the car center line. Looking at this another
way, the top rods should be pretty close to parallel to the center sill.
Gene Green

Gary,
The IRC Type 27s are too long for your time period. The model you
should focus on is the Life-Like Type 21 as they make both 8K and 10K
gallon versions and are accurate models. The models come with AB
brakes, so they will require backdating with KC brakes.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Ed Hawkins

On Friday, July 22, 2005, at 02:22 PM, Gary E. Ray wrote:

[...]

Rob Kirkham <rdkirkham@...>

Gene, can you post that diagram to the files section. I'd like to see it.

Rob Kirkham

bierglaeser <bierglaeser@...>

--- In STMFC@..., Rob Kirkham <rdkirkham@s...> wrote:
Gene, can you post that diagram to the files section. I'd like to
see it.

Rob Kirkham
I can and I shall. Gotta remember how to do that. Gimme some time.

Do need to clarify something apparently. The Life-Like tank car has AB
brakes as it comes from Life-Like. I was offering drawings to back-
date the car to use KC brakes.

While checking my sources and comparing them to the Life-Like model I
noticed that the brake cylinder on the Life-Like car is a little too
far towards the car's center. I'll post a drawing showing where the
brake cylinder - whether AB or KC - should be located.

Gene Green

bierglaeser <bierglaeser@...>

I have added a photo album entitled "K brake diagrams" to the photo
section of STMFPH, not this group but the other group. It contains
information on K brakes in general and one photo that shows the
specific alterations needed to improve the Life-Like tank car whether
back-dating to K brakes or keeping the AB brakes. If the posted
diagrams don't answer your questions, please ask for more information.
Gene Green

--- In STMFC@..., "bierglaeser" <bierglaeser@y...> wrote:
--- In STMFC@..., Rob Kirkham <rdkirkham@s...> wrote:
Gene, can you post that diagram to the files section. I'd like to
see it.

Rob Kirkham
I can and I shall. Gotta remember how to do that. Gimme some time.

Do need to clarify something apparently. The Life-Like tank car has
AB
brakes as it comes from Life-Like. I was offering drawings to back-
date the car to use KC brakes.

While checking my sources and comparing them to the Life-Like model I
noticed that the brake cylinder on the Life-Like car is a little too
far towards the car's center. I'll post a drawing showing where the
brake cylinder - whether AB or KC - should be located.

Gene Green

Schuyler Larrabee

Thanks Gene!

SGL

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Links

Gary E. Ray <garyeray@...>

Hi Gene,

Thanks for posting the diagrams, however I cannot seem to find them. By
other group "STMFPH", I assume this means Steam Freight Photos but when I
did a search of Yahoo groups, I could not find "STMFPH". Could someone post
a link or share how to find and join this group.

Thank you,

Gary Ray

I have added a photo album entitled "K brake diagrams" to the
photo section of STMFPH, not this group but the other group.

_____

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Gary Ray asked:
"...but when I did a search of Yahoo groups, I could not
find "STMFPH". Could someone post a link or share how to find and join
this group?"

Ben Hom