Topics

More From the Florida Archives.

Michael Aufderheide

Thanks to whoever posted the Florida archive photo.
These sites are always interesting! I dug around and
found several other shots of interest for the list:

http://fpc.dos.state.fl.us/commerce/c006422.jpg

Cucumbers, 1947:

http://fpc.dos.state.fl.us/commerce/c008278.jpg

Pulpwood, n.d.:

http://fpc.dos.state.fl.us/reference/rc12382.jpg

More pulpwood, 1956:

http://fpc.dos.state.fl.us/commerce/c024087.jpg

Veggies, 1928:

http://fpc.dos.state.fl.us/prints/pr00028.jpg

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide
Chicago

http://mail.yahoo.com

Miller,Andrew S. <asmiller@...>

Florida and not a FGE car among them. BREX (close), MDT, and PFE.

regards,

Andy Miller

Bruce Smith <smithbf@...>

On Jul 27, 2005, at 10:03 AM, Mike Aufderheide wrote:

Thanks to whoever posted the Florida archive photo.
These sites are always interesting! I dug around and
found several other shots of interest for the list:

http://fpc.dos.state.fl.us/commerce/c006422.jpg
BREX 75767

Cucumbers, 1947:
http://fpc.dos.state.fl.us/commerce/c008278.jpg
MDT
Veggies, 1928:
http://fpc.dos.state.fl.us/prints/pr00028.jpg
PFE 15110 A PFE reefer! How could you post that? Don't you know that loaded PFE reefers only ran left to right!! Oh the humanity! I think a warning label might have been in order as some list members may be unduly shocked by seeing that photograph ;^)

Of course, I LOVE it as it supports a mix of reefers hauling Florida produce north, which would have included PFE, MDT, and FGE/BRE/WFE (although that PFE date of 1928 is quite a bit earlier than the other two)

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

__
/ &#92;
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Brian J Carlson <brian@...>

word of caution on the PFE reefer. The photo does not show direct evidence
the car is being loaded like the other two (BREX and MDT). It only shows a
produce truck in front of the reefer. Are there other photo's on the site
that show the car being loaded. I realize I may be nit-picking.

Brian Carlson

that On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:36:08 -0500, Bruce Smith wrote
[...]

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -
Benjamin Franklin __
/ &#92; __<+--+>________________&#92;__/___

Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...>

Bruce Smith wrote:

Of course, I LOVE it as it supports a mix of reefers hauling Florida produce north, which would have included PFE, MDT, and FGE/BRE/WFE (although that PFE date of 1928 is quite a bit earlier than the other two)
Bruce,

While probably not from Florida (probably Mobile or New Orleans, instead), on September 27th, 1946 there was a 43 reefer block loaded with bananas northbound on the Southern's Washington Division (Monroe VA to Pot Yard). The road names of the 43 reefers included: - FGEX group (9 - FGEX; 2 - BREX; 2 - WFEX; and 1 CX); 11 - PFE; 7 - MDT; 4 - ART; 3 - SFRD; 2- URTX; 1 - NP; and 1 Indecipherable.

I imagine that the SOU got the business only instead of banana boats usually arriving in Baltimore or further north because many of those banana boats were being retrofitted for civilian service after WW II: - the Gulf Ports allowing a quicker turnaround than the North Atlantic Ports.

Tim Gilbert

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Bruce Smith wrote:
PFE 15110 A PFE reefer! How could you post that? Don't you know
that loaded PFE reefers only ran left to right!! Oh the humanity! I
think a warning label might have been in order as some list members
may be unduly shocked by seeing that photograph ;^)

Of course, I LOVE it as it supports a mix of reefers hauling Florida
produce north, which would have included PFE, MDT, and FGE/BRE/WFE
(although that PFE date of 1928 is quite a bit earlier than the other two)
Bruce, the PFE correspondence archives (and probably SFRD too) support the continual problem with eastern shippers and railroads confiscating PFE and SFRD cars, as they were typically in better shape than FGE (and far better than MDT, ART, etc.) and therefore preferred. Some parts of the year, PFE did not much care (after all, they got paid mileage on all movements), but in the peak season, roughly July to October, they were quite intolerant of confiscation and worked extra hard to find and return all empties westward.
Regarding "left to right," remember that about 20% of PFE reefers westbound were loads in the ice age (being used mostly as insulated box cars, rarely as reefers).

Publishers of books on railroad history

buchwaldfam <duff@...>

Since beer was quite often shipped in insulated box cars, does this
imply that I can run PFE reefers loaded FROM the Schlitz brewery? I
have a picture of a Manufacturers Railway insulated box car on the
lead at Schlitz around 1950. That one really surprised me since
Manufacturers was the Anhauser Busch road.

Thanks,
Phil Buchwald

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@s...

buchwaldfam wrote:

Since beer was quite often shipped in insulated box cars, does this
imply that I can run PFE reefers loaded FROM the Schlitz brewery? I
have a picture of a Manufacturers Railway insulated box car on the
lead at Schlitz around 1950. That one really surprised me since
Manufacturers was the Anhauser Busch road.

Five of the 64 westbound loaded PFE reefers in the UP Conductor's Fraley Fall 1947 were loaded with beer. No idea who the brewer was.

There was one westbound SLRX beer load reported, but no MRS boxcars.

Tim Gilbert

Richard Hendrickson

On Jul 27, 2005, at 2:55 PM, buchwaldfam wrote:

Since beer was quite often shipped in insulated box cars, does this
imply that I can run PFE reefers loaded FROM the Schlitz brewery? I
have a picture of a Manufacturers Railway insulated box car on the
lead at Schlitz around 1950. That one really surprised me since
Manufacturers was the Anhauser Busch road.
Phil, I have a ca. 1950 photo of a Santa Fe steel reefer in Milwaukee being loaded with cartons of Schlitz beer in cans. PFE cars were doubtless used for this purpose as well.

Richard Hendrickson

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Since beer was quite often shipped in insulated box cars, does this
imply that I can run PFE reefers loaded FROM the Schlitz brewery?
Yes, though I doubt PFE and SFRD provided more than a fraction of the outgoing cars (and those only in certain seasons).

Anthony Thompson wrote:

Since beer was quite often shipped in insulated box cars, does this
imply that I can run PFE reefers loaded FROM the Schlitz brewery?
Yes, though I doubt PFE and SFRD provided more than a fraction of
the outgoing cars (and those only in certain seasons).
In the Fall 1947 UP Conductor Fraley's wheel report, there were twenty carloads of beer reported: - four of them were carried in boxcars; the other 16 in reefers with five of those reefers being PFE.

In the Fall 1946 SOU wheel report between Pot Yard and Monroe VA, there were ten carloads of beer reported: - all ten of them being boxcars.

Tim Gilbert

buchwaldfam <duff@...>

Thanks for the information. There was a large produce receiver a
few miles up the same branch that served Schlitz, Blatz, Pabst.
Do the wheel reports make a distinction as to the type of box car
they were (XM's or RBL's)? The Milwaukee would use standard box cars
in warmer seasons if there was a shortage of insulated cars.

Regards,
Phil Buchwald

buchwaldfam wrote:

Thanks for the information. There was a large produce receiver a
few miles up the same branch that served Schlitz, Blatz, Pabst.
Do the wheel reports make a distinction as to the type of box car
they were (XM's or RBL's)? The Milwaukee would use standard box cars
in warmer seasons if there was a shortage of insulated cars.
Of the 20 cars reported by UP Conductor Fraley in the Fall of 1947, four were "XM's"; fourteen were "RS's"; and one each "RB" and "RSM."

Tim Gilbert