Topics

Wabash #8000-8299 series boxcars #8000-8299

Garth Groff <ggg9y@...>

Chet,

I gather from what you say that the original paint scheme on the Wabash 8000 had the small flag herald. Is the car in Henderson's CLASSIC FREIGHT CARS V. 1 still in its original paint? I would have thought it was the other way around, which means my model with large heralds is wrong for 1957. :-(

Oh, poop!

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Chet French wrote:

Mark Vaughan's E-1 set includes the seven inch numbers and small flag

that was on the 8000-8299 series cars when new. One sheet appears to have enough lettering to do three Wabash and one NJI&I cars, with small flags on two of them. I do not have an updated E-2 set, but do have an older set, with no ID number, which has the four different size flags and nine inch numbers. If I were to use this set, I would still use the 18" WABASH from the E-1 set. YMMV. CDS has a set HO-
91, Wabash steel box car which has the 1961 large flag and lettering.
Chet French
Dixon, IL

Yahoo! Groups Links

Chet French <cfrench@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@w...> wrote:
Scott Pitzer wrote:
"It says here I replaced the ends on the Accurail body with resin
ones--
no doubt from "Canadian Railway Model Parts Guild." Branchline
should
have the equivalent design (R/3/4 with the rolling pin cross-
section on
the 3/4 ribs.)"

Branchline 100001
http://www.branchline-trains.com/blueprint/parts/detailparts.htm

"I used "mostly Champ lettering but large flag from Microscale
multi-
road set." There could be something much better from Mark Vaughan
or
another source."

Looks like Mark Vaughan E-1 or E-2, though I'm hoping Mark or Chet
will
chime in here...
http://www.desplaineshobbies.com/mevdecals.html
Ben,

Mark Vaughan's E-1 set includes the seven inch numbers and small flag
that was on the 8000-8299 series cars when new. One sheet appears to
have enough lettering to do three Wabash and one NJI&I cars, with
small flags on two of them. I do not have an updated E-2 set, but do
have an older set, with no ID number, which has the four different
size flags and nine inch numbers. If I were to use this set, I would
still use the 18" WABASH from the E-1 set. YMMV. CDS has a set HO-
91, Wabash steel box car which has the 1961 large flag and lettering.

Chet French
Dixon, IL

Chet French <cfrench@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "stefanelaine" <stefanelaine@y...>
wrote:
Posted this message to the Wabash list, but did not receive a
response: I'd like to letter a Wabash #8000-8299 series 10'6" 40' DD
boxar for the early - mid 1950s using CDs dry trnasfers. Does anyone
have a photo of one of these cars? Black roof? Ends? Any idea if
wood
or steel running board? Type of trucks?

Sorry that I am a little slow replying regarding these cars. Ed
Hawkins has done a good job describing the car. The cars were built
between January and June 1950, at the Wabash's Decatur shop. They
were the first and only 40' steel double door auto cars built or
purchased by the railroad. The cars when built had the small flag
and reporting marks to the left of the doors and the WABASH to the
right. The bottom of the 18" WABASH was 4'-7 1/4" from the bottom of
the sides. The large flag began being used on repainted cars in
1961. The car number was 7" high until June 1956, when they were
changed to 9". The color chart shows the body, roof, underframe and
trucks all painted Wabash #10- freight car red. The underframe and
ends of the cars also received a coat of Wabash #37 black cement
prior to receiving the final coat of Wabash freight car red.

The cars show having three different trucks types used. ASF A-3,
Barber S-2-C, and what the Wabash always referred to
as "Bettendorf". Cars had Miner hand brake housings and wheels and
what appears to be Apex running boards. Between 1950 and 1953, 289
of the cars received panel racks for Ford side panel loading and were
designated as XAP's. A few cars also were fitted for transmission

Chet French
Dixon, IL

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Scott Pitzer wrote:
"It says here I replaced the ends on the Accurail body with resin ones--
no doubt from "Canadian Railway Model Parts Guild." Branchline should
have the equivalent design (R/3/4 with the rolling pin cross-section on
the 3/4 ribs.)"

Branchline 100001
http://www.branchline-trains.com/blueprint/parts/detailparts.htm

"I used "mostly Champ lettering but large flag from Microscale multi-
road set." There could be something much better from Mark Vaughan or
another source."

Looks like Mark Vaughan E-1 or E-2, though I'm hoping Mark or Chet will
chime in here...
http://www.desplaineshobbies.com/mevdecals.html

Ben Hom

Ed Hawkins

On Wednesday, July 27, 2005, at 05:56 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Ed, can you give more info on this Wabash 8000-8299 series? I
never heard of this group. Who built, when, other particulars?
As it happens, that is one of only 3 or 4 issues of Mainline
Modeler I never got hold of.

Stefan, what kit did you use to model the car?
Tim,
The cars had staggered 11'-11" door openings, built 6-50 (car 8258).
The only photos I've seen are broadsides, but they appear to have the
early R+3/4 IDN ends and diagonal panel roofs. The cars appear
externally pretty much like any other Wabash postwar AAR box car with
riveted sides, except of course the addition of auxiliary doors. I'm
pretty sure they were built by the railroad, probably at Decatur,
however I don't have any early photos that verifies this. The old
McKean 40' double-door model would be the closest model except it had
the later version R+3/4 IDN ends and the side sills need to be modified.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Scott Pitzer

According to the reference card I made when I built my model, there is a photo in RAILMODEL JOURNAL for January 1990.

It says here I replaced the ends on the Accurail body with resin ones-- no doubt from "Canadian Railway Model Parts Guild." Branchline should have the equivalent design (R/3/4 with the rolling pin cross-section on the 3/4 ribs.)

I used "mostly Champ lettering but large flag from Microscale multi-road set." There could be something much better from Mark Vaughan or another source.

Scott Pitzer

Tim O'Connor

Ed, can you give more info on this Wabash 8000-8299 series? I
never heard of this group. Who built, when, other particulars?
As it happens, that is one of only 3 or 4 issues of Mainline
Modeler I never got hold of.

Stefan, what kit did you use to model the car?

Tim O'Connor

I'd like to letter a Wabash #8000-8299 series 10'6" 40' DD
boxar for the early - mid 1950s using CDs dry trnasfers. Does anyone
have a photo of one of these cars? Black roof? Ends? Any idea if wood
or steel running board? Type of trucks? Stefan Lerché
Stefan,
A photo appeared in the Nov/Dec 1980 issue of Mainline Modeler on page
17 (car no. 8153), taken circa 1963. I can't be of help to you
regarding official paint specs but the sides and ends were no doubt
Wabash #10 Red. Chances are good that the roof was coated with black
car cement as this was a common practice on Wabash box cars built
during the early 1950s. The side sill extends in a straight line
between the bolsters. The running board on car 8258 (Joe Collias photo
in 1962 of a repainted car 3-59) shows a U.S. Gypsum running board and
A.A.R. spring plankless trucks. Perhaps Chet French has more data about
these cars and will report. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Ed Hawkins

On Wednesday, July 27, 2005, at 09:41 AM, stefanelaine wrote:

osted this message to the Wabash list, but did not receive a
response: I'd like to letter a Wabash #8000-8299 series 10'6" 40' DD
boxar for the early - mid 1950s using CDs dry trnasfers. Does anyone
have a photo of one of these cars? Black roof? Ends? Any idea if wood
or steel running board? Type of trucks?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Stefan Lerché
Stefan,
A photo appeared in the Nov/Dec 1980 issue of Mainline Modeler on page
17 (car no. 8153), taken circa 1963. I can't be of help to you
regarding official paint specs but the sides and ends were no doubt
Wabash #10 Red. Chances are good that the roof was coated with black
car cement as this was a common practice on Wabash box cars built
during the early 1950s. The side sill extends in a straight line
between the bolsters. The running board on car 8258 (Joe Collias photo
in 1962 of a repainted car 3-59) shows a U.S. Gypsum running board and
A.A.R. spring plankless trucks. Perhaps Chet French has more data about
these cars and will report. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

oliver

Posted this message to the Wabash list, but did not receive a
response: I'd like to letter a Wabash #8000-8299 series 10'6" 40' DD
boxar for the early - mid 1950s using CDs dry trnasfers. Does anyone
have a photo of one of these cars? Black roof? Ends? Any idea if wood
or steel running board? Type of trucks?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Stefan Lerché
Duncan, BC