mixing of meat and produce reefers

ed_mines

Were meat reefers ever used for produce, particiularly in the '40s?

Ed

Richard Hendrickson

On Jul 28, 2005, at 8:48 AM, ed_mines wrote:

Were meat reefers ever used for produce, particiularly in the '40s?
I'm reluctant to say never, Ed, but if done at all, it would have been very rarely and only on an emergency basis. Meat reefers were specially equipped for meat service with meat rails, floor racks, brine retaining tanks, etc. and thus were not really suitable for produce shipments.

Roger Hinman <rhinman@...>

I posted an Excel file of reefer traffic through Newberry Jct, PA in
1941 last spring and you may want to check through that

I quickly looked at a similar list I am compiling for the summer of
1951 and found four instances where meat reefers were not carrying meat

5/18/51 BH2, DH3 NADX 8027 Candy

5/16/51 CP2 SRLX 6628 Eggs

7/3/51 CP2 ARLX 11660 Milk
7/5/51 CP2 ARLX 14465 Milk

Roger Hinman

On Jul 28, 2005, at 11:48 AM, ed_mines wrote:

Were meat reefers ever used for produce, particiularly in the '40s?

Ed

Yahoo! Groups Links