Stirrup steps for LNE hopper

Greg Bartek

Mark,

LC&N Panther Creek hoppers, 85 in total(LCNX #3001-3085),which had a
build date of 1909-1910, were transferred to the L&NE. For some
unknown reason, 12 cars were not transferred. The remaining hoppers
were renumbered #4101-4173 for teh L&NE. According to my info, these
were grouped with other L&NE hoppers in the #3001-4723 series. All
were gone from the roster by the end of 1950. How long the 4101-4173
cars lasted, I am not sure.

Regards,
Greg Bartek

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Heiden" <mark_heiden@h...> wrote:
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the information. I'm planning on using Tichy 3045
stirrups on my model. I think they might be a little long, but
they
have the right look.

Maybe you could help me out on one more LNE matter. Before the
Tamaqua Extension was finished in 1912, Lehigh Coal & Navigation
bought 50 twin-bay, ribside hoppers lettered for Panther Creek.
Did
these cars make into the LNE roster, and do you know the number
series and how long they were on the roster?

Thanks,
Mark Heiden

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "gsb157" <sgaab@p...> wrote:
Not often I see a post on my favorite RR. For reference, I have
the
Train Shed Cyclopedia No.5 that contains the data from the 1940
Car
Builders Cyclopedia.

The photo in the book is fairly clear with details. The car
listed,
13283, was part of the 100 car order built by Bethlehem Steel Co.
in
1939 covering numbers 13251-13350. The numbers 13001-13250 were
from
a 1936 order from the same company. The dimensions should be
identical though the capacity for the 1936 order is listed as
2100
cu. ft. while the 1939 100 car order lists capacity at 2062 as is
reported in the cyclopedia.

Concerning the stirrups, the photo shows that both sides of the
car
as-built look to have identical stirrups. Their shape is straight
and
rectangular, no sign of any angle and canted slightly outward as
you
describe. It is totally different from the type of stirrup on the
Atlas 2 bay offset hopper.

I have no information, photographic or otherwise, that would
verify
if and when any rebuilds changed these in the 40's. If I had to
give
an educated guess, being that the LNE was fairly frugal
concerning
their rolling stock, I could not see them changing the style of
the
stirrup early on except maybe in the case of collision damage.
I'd
change the Atlas model to reflect an as-delivered style.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Greg Bartek

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Heiden" <mark_heiden@h...>
wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to determine the proper stirrup steps for a Lehigh &
New
England twin bay, offset-side hopper. The car in question is
from
series 13001-13350, delivered in 1939. There is a grainy
builder's
photo from the 1940 Cyclopedia available on the pay side of the
NEB&W website at:

http://railroad.union.rpi.edu/rolling-stock/Hoppers/LNE-offset-
hm-
centered-logo-40-cyc.jpg

The vertical "legs" of stirrups appear to be straight and
canted
slightly outwards, with two horizontal steps. However, later
photos
of these cars from the 1960s show one "leg" offset towards the
center of the car, with two horizontal steps, like those that
come
with the Atlas hopper. Were these cars delivered with one
style
of
steps, and then acquired another through rebuilds and repairs?
What
would be correct for a car in the late 1940s?

Thanks,
Mark Heiden

Mark Heiden