From: Beckert, Shawn<mailto:shawn.beckert@disney.com>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com<mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 4:11 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Santa Fe Diagram Books - Do Any Exist?

Fellow Listers,

Did the Santa Fe ever produce a freightcar diagram book for
the 1950's, or any other time period, for that matter?

Obviously Mssr's Hendrickson, Jordan, et.al. got the material
for their books from an original source, yet I've never seen
such a publication at any swap meet that I've ever attended.

Do any originals still exist?

Shawn Beckert

Yahoo! Groups Links

Shawn Beckert

Paul Hillman wrote:

Yes the Santa Fe used to have a large-paged paperback book, like
12" X 16", of steam, diesel, frt. & pass. car drawings and photos,
that they'd give out for free, through their Public Relations
Department. I don't know what the cut-off date was for the dwgs., etc.
Paul,

Thanks for the info, but I'm looking for something a bit more "nuts and
bolts" that would probably have been put together by the Santa Fe's
Mechanical Department for official use. Since enough drawings obviously
existed for them to publish a handout aimed at the general public, it
stands to reason that they were already in existence for the use of the
operating and repair people. I'll keep looking...

Shawn Beckert

ljack70117@...

On Thursday, August 11, 2005, at 07:26 PM, Paul Hillman wrote:

Shawn,

Yes the Santa Fe used to have a large-paged paperback book, like 12" X 16", of steam, diesel, frt. & pass. car drawings and photos, that they'd give out for free, through their Public Relations Department. I don't know what the cut-off date was for the dwgs., etc.. I used to have 2 of them, but I think they've been lost in my long, long moving process. I hope I will find them again, somewhere.

Paul Hillman
That book ( I had one) was done by MR and they had some errors in in it. Even a coach with pullman sides and ACF roof or something like that. I remember some one talking about it.
thank you
Larry Jackman
ljack70117@adelphia.net
Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Larry Jackman said:
That book ( I had one) was done by MR and they had some errors in in
it. Even a coach with pullman sides and ACF roof or something like
that. I remember some one talking about it.
NO!?! An error in MR?? Omigosh, I feel faint . . .

Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

I sold an 800+ page Santa Fe diagram book last year on Ebay.
Stephen Priest was the high bidder... It covered every car and
variation from 1950 to the 1980's. So the diagrams are out there
you just have to find them.

Tim O'Connor

Shawn Beckert

Tim O'Connor reveals:

I sold an 800+ page Santa Fe diagram book last year on Ebay.
Stephen Priest was the high bidder... It covered every car and
variation from 1950 to the 1980's.
You SOLD it?!?!?!? You, a Freight Foamer, let go of an original
AT&SF Mechanical Department document???

That's it, we're pulling your Freightcar Mafia membership...

Shawn Beckert, what's the world coming to...

mopacfirst

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Beckert, Shawn" <shawn.beckert@d...>
wrote:
Tim O'Connor reveals:

I sold an 800+ page Santa Fe diagram book last year on Ebay.
Stephen Priest was the high bidder... It covered every car and
variation from 1950 to the 1980's.
You SOLD it?!?!?!? You, a Freight Foamer, let go of an original
AT&SF Mechanical Department document???

That's it, we're pulling your Freightcar Mafia membership...

Shawn Beckert, what's the world coming to...

But Stephen Priest actually PUBLISHES stuff......

Ron Merrick, a consumer of freight car data