ASF-A3 roller bearing trucks

Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...>

Scott Chatfield wrote:
"But if memory serves the Pennsy's H33 class (late copies of the ACF 1,958
covered hopper) rode on ASF roller bearing A-3s with open Timken bearings,
and those were built around, what, 1952?"

1953.

Ben Hom

D. Scott Chatfield

Andy C brings up a good point, namely that many of the early roller bearing trucks had covered bearings. But if memory serves the Pennsy's H33 class (late copies of the ACF 1,958 covered hopper) rode on ASF roller bearing A-3s with open Timken bearings, and those were built around, what, 1952?

Athearn and Stewart make roller bearing 70-ton A-3s. The Kato and Kadee 70-ton roller bearing trucks are Nationals (S-2s?).

Scott C

Tim O'Connor

Denny, I convert my Kato ASF A-3 solid bearing trucks with
the narrow 0.950 (0.960?) Reboxx wheelsets and it makes them
work extremely well. But I can't do this with the rotating
caps roller bearing trucks.

That too is my experience. The Kato trucks are very handsome, but
compared with the rolling ability that one can attain with the
Reboxx conversions, it is strictly "no contest".

That said, although I do not buy them, I still use the trucks that I
have on hand- simply because they are so good looking!

Denny

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

At 02:59 AM 8/12/05, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Neither of the Kato trucks performs very well when compared
to what is possible with other model trucks equipped with
correct-length Reboxx wheelsets.
That too is my experience. The Kato trucks are very handsome, but compared with the rolling ability that one can attain with the Reboxx conversions, it is strictly "no contest".

That said, although I do not buy them, I still use the trucks that I have on hand- simply because they are so good looking!

Denny

Garth Groff <ggg9y@...>

Bill,

Roundhouse has a closed cap roller bearing truck. It is a bit crude, but might be the only game in town.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Bill McCoy wrote:

Central Valley used to offer a covered end cap Timken roller bearing truck that seems to have dissappeared. With the introduction of the Wright Trak FGE mechanical reefer this truck will be needed to model the mid 50s as built car. Any suggestions as to an available truck to fill this need?

Bill McCoy

Bill McCoy <bugsy451@...>

Central Valley used to offer a covered end cap Timken roller bearing
truck that seems to have dissappeared. With the introduction of the
Wright Trak FGE mechanical reefer this truck will be needed to model
the mid 50s as built car. Any suggestions as to an available truck to
fill this need?

Bill McCoy
Jax

--- In STMFC@..., Andy Carlson <midcentury@s...> wrote:
Since this request for A-3 roller bearing trucks came
about by a request from Garth about the WP shorty 29'
gondola, you might want to limit your search for
covered journal roller bearing trucks, and with a 70
ton spring pack, as well. Remember, this was 1953, not
1967.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Garth Groff <ggg9y@...>

Andy,

The trucks on WP 6401-6500 had exposed rotating bearing caps, just like today.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Andy Carlson wrote:

Since this request for A-3 roller bearing trucks came
about by a request from Garth about the WP shorty 29'
gondola, you might want to limit your search for
covered journal roller bearing trucks, and with a 70
ton spring pack, as well. Remember, this was 1953, not
1967.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Andy Carlson

Since this request for A-3 roller bearing trucks came
about by a request from Garth about the WP shorty 29'
gondola, you might want to limit your search for
covered journal roller bearing trucks, and with a 70
ton spring pack, as well. Remember, this was 1953, not
1967.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Tim O'Connor

Neither of the Kato trucks performs very well when compared
to what is possible with other model trucks equipped with
correct-length Reboxx wheelsets. Kato trucks perform far better
when there is no LOAD on them, but they perform much worse when
put under a car. Mind you they are not terrible, but they are
not the best. Of course this has only been tested by doing
side by side comparisons, which amounts to nothing in the face
of contrary opinion! :-)

At 08:52 PM 8/11/2005, you wrote:
The Kato has rotating caps and so they don't roll all that well...
Say what? My experience with these Kato trucks (both types) is that they are the absolute best rolling trucks availible... bar NONE!

John Degnan <RailScaler@...>

The Kato has rotating caps and so they don't roll all that well...
Say what? My experience with these Kato trucks (both types) is that they are the absolute best rolling trucks availible... bar NONE! The only draw-back to them as far as I am concerned is that the side-frames and bolsters are a one-piece design. If you're really having a problem with them rolling, try sliding the "caps" out from the sideframe a bit on the axle... it could be that the "caps" are pressing against the sideframes and causing drag.

John Degnan
RailScaler@...
Announcing : Seaboard Air Line's B-7 Box Cars In S Scale!
http://www.trainweb.org/seaboard/SALRoundRoofBoxCarProject.htm