From: benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:08:41 -0000
Subject: [STMFC] Stupid eBay Tricks

Today's latest example of not thinking:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5992567106

A $33 bid on an available $30 kit that Al Westerfield gets in your
mailbox in less than a week. If the bidder is on this list, you might
want to reconsider - the saddest part about the escalation of resin kit
prices on the secondary market (especially Sunshine) is that the
manufacturer never sees a dime of these inflated prices.

Ben Hom

Yahoo! Groups Links

Thomas Baker

You ain't seen nothin' till you've seen what some of the old S-gauge kits, for that matter, some of the new ones bring on e-bay. One wonders exactly who bids on this stuff. I conclude that it must be a matter of great ego, expecially when one can obtain the same thing from Sunshine, Westerfield, or Gold Coast Models.

Tom

________________________________

A $33 bid on an available $30 kit that Al Westerfield gets in your
mailbox in less than a week. If the bidder is on this list, you might
want to reconsider - the saddest part about the escalation of resin kit
prices on the secondary market (especially Sunshine) is that the
manufacturer never sees a dime of these inflated prices.

Ben Hom

Yahoo! Groups Links

Paul Lyons

In a message dated 8/16/2005 9:12:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tomtherailnut@... writes:
Frankly, the LAST thing Martin wants to do is reissue a lot of his older
models. First, new moulds would be required in most cases, and second, the
secondary market would drive the first kits value down. This would hurt his
entire business. There is a lot of value in being desired and sought after -
just ask any pretty woman!
I find this the most puzzling statement I have ever read! All of the
Sunshine kits being propose by Clark to be re-released by Sunshine have long since
been discontinued and of course would require new masters and molds. That is the
exact point of the statement. From Sunshine's point of view, that makes it a
"new" kit and I doubt weather Martin cares one way or the other if it is an
old "new" kit or a brand new effort, as long as the demand is there to make it
a good seller. I agree, issuing a "new" kit of an earlier product would
completely destroy secondary maket value of the original kit, but since Sunshine no
longer carries these early kits in there product line, I have no idea how
this "would hurt his entire business" Even a pretty women can sometimes use a
facelift!
Paul Lyons
Laguna Niguel, CA

David Ball

Call me a cold hard capitalist, but if the bidder is prepared to bid the
price, they must be happy (at that point) to pay the price (and we haven't
seen the end price yet!).

It would only take a quick Goggle search to find Al's website, even if you
didn't know it exists

As an aside, not living in the US, I am prepared to pay an inflated price
for a Sunshine kit on eBay because:
1. You actually know your going to get it in a week.
2. Since (and please correct me if I'm wrong), you can't get Sunshine kits
by paying by credit card or Paypal, I would have to get an international
bank cheque/money order. Therefore I'm prepared to factor that cost into a
bid price
3. I don't have access to other secondary markets other than the likes of
this list. In fact for that matter I don't have access to getting them
direct in anyway other that mail order (ie, meets, etc)

David Ball
(from across the Pacific, and down a bit)

_____

A $33 bid on an available $30 kit that Al Westerfield gets in your
mailbox in less than a week. If the bidder is on this list, you might
want to reconsider - the saddest part about the escalation of resin kit
prices on the secondary market (especially Sunshine) is that the
manufacturer never sees a dime of these inflated prices.

Ben Hom

_____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

the web.

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

_____

Pete Brown &#92;(YahooGroups&#92;) <YahooLists@...>

Recently, someone paid almost $200 for a Bachmann WM consolidation. You can
get them new for around $75.

Pete

Pete Brown - Gambrills, MD (Near Annapolis)
Visit my personal site : http://www.irritatedVowel.com
(wallpaper, western maryland ry, .net, photography, model rr)

_____

From: "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@...>

- the saddest part about the escalation of resin kit
prices on the secondary market (especially Sunshine) is that the
manufacturer never sees a dime of these inflated prices.

If Martin would just reissue those rebuild boxcars in today's kit standards guys like me, who missed most of them the first time, wouldn't have to bid on them, Martin could make some money and those old kits would be worthless.

Bill Darnaby

Rob & Bev Manley

Pete,
Send me his address, I've got a Westrail 50T, 53'6" NP flatcar I'll sell him for $200.00.
Rob Manley
"Better modeling through personal embarassment"

A $33 bid on an available $30 kit that Al Westerfield gets in your
mailbox in less than a week. If the bidder is on this list, you might
want to reconsider - the saddest part about the escalation of resin kit
prices on the secondary market (especially Sunshine) is that the
manufacturer never sees a dime of these inflated prices.

Ben Hom

Tom Jones III <tomtherailnut@...>

The prices are not inflated. They are the current value - just as an antique
car ojten escalates in value, so do some of these great kits. The best part
is that the kits escalate in price - this keeps the manufacturer's market
keen on purchasing new! Wouldn't you prefer to buy something that you know
will keep its value? Certainly Athearn or MDC are worth less six months or
six years after sale, but Sunshine holds its value nicely. That is one
reason I prefer to purchase Sunshine kits - even if I die before I get them
all built (which I most assuredly will do!), my family is not stuck with a
bunch of $.50 hunks of plastic.

[...]

Jan Podganski, Jr. <webercanyon@...>

Why should anyone care what another person does? His reason's are his
own and since we don't have all the information, who are we to judge
him?
Let's get back freight cars, after all, that's why were here.

Tim O'Connor

Personally I bought too many Sunshine kits (and still do!)
from the very beginning because I wanted Martin to succeed
so he'd make even more kits. I really think the "time value"
is important -- many times I have waited 2 ... 3 ... even 4
months before an order is filled. For an extra ten or even
twenty bucks, if I didn't have a pile of unbuilt kits, I'd
happily pay that to be able to receive a kit in 1 week.

And a point about rising resale value -- it does reassure
buyers of new products that even if they're not sure that
they want a kit, they can be pretty sure they won't lose
any money. I'll bet that helps the sales figures!

Tim O'Connor

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

David Ball wrote:

Call me a cold hard capitalist, but if the bidder is prepared to bid the
price, they must be happy (at that point) to pay the price (and we haven't
seen the end price yet!).
It would only take a quick Goggle search to find Al's website . . .
Ah yes, the mind goggles. <g>

Publishers of books on railroad history

armprem

Tim,Any time you feel that you have too many unbuilt kits and wish to
dispose of a few, you can always give me a call. Armand Premo

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

tomtherailnut@c... writes:
All of the
Sunshine kits being propose by Clark to be re-released by Sunshine
have long since
been discontinued and of course would require new masters and molds.
Wait a minute, I wasn't involved in this thread. Anyway when I buy a
Sunshine kit I put it togther. What are they worth??
Clark Propst

Tim O'Connor

Clark Propst wrote

Anyway when I buy a Sunshine kit I put it togther.
What are they worth??
Whatever the market will bear, Clark. I have seen kits
go above $60 on Ebay... and built models go over $200.

If you want some real fun, looked for "weathered" in the
HO listings. It is not unusual to see unmodified, RTR
freight cars with great weathering go for $200 over list
price! For example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5992838123

With practice, most of us could earn a good living at this!
I have seen Athearn "blue box" models go over $200!

Tim O.

Tim O'Connor

Clark, you may have missed this one: A detailed Walthers spine car
with 5 nice trailers... for $810!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5989346251

Wait a minute, I wasn't involved in this thread. Anyway when I buy a
Sunshine kit I put it togther. What are they worth??
Clark Propst

Paul Lyons

Sorry Clark, I got you and Bill confused.

tomtherailnut@c... writes:
All of the
Sunshine kits being propose by Clark to be re-released by Sunshine
have long since
been discontinued and of course would require new masters and molds.
Wait a minute, I wasn't involved in this thread. Anyway when I buy a
Sunshine kit I put it togther. What are they worth??
Clark Propst

Yahoo! Groups Links

Tom Jones III <tomtherailnut@...>

Touche!

Tom

this "would hurt his entire business" Even a pretty women can sometimes
use a
facelift!

David Ball

You can ask my high school English teacher about my spelling!

Dave

_____

Call me a cold hard capitalist, but if the bidder is prepared to bid
the
price, they must be happy (at that point) to pay the price (and we
haven't
seen the end price yet!).
It would only take a quick Goggle search to find Al's website . . .
Ah yes, the mind goggles. <g>

Publishers of books on railroad history

_____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

the web.

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

_____

oliver

Yeah, even by his standards that must have been a windfall. The guy is
fantastic, but that's crazy!
Stefan