From: eabracher@...
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 6:56 PM
Subject: [STMFC] paint removal

Need help in removing paint from plastic shells.

I know it isn't steam freight cars but i have a Stewart diesel sheel that i
need to strip.

Any help on what to use?

eric

armprem

Whoa..Did you mean Scalecoat ll paint remover?Armand Premo

The Scalecoat paint remover is a very good product.
Marcelo
Need help in removing paint from plastic shells.

I know it isn't steam freight cars but i have a Stewart diesel sheel
that i
need to strip.

Any help on what to use?

eric

Service.

----

Yahoo! Groups Links

Aidrian Bridgeman-Sutton <smokeandsteam@...>

Oven cleaner works best for Stewart models - put the shell in a ziplock
bag and squirt the cleaner into the bag. Leave overnight and the shell
comes out clean and shiny after a wash under running water and perhaps a
quick scrub with a toothbrush

Aidrian

Need help in removing paint from plastic shells.

I know it isn't steam freight cars but i have a Stewart diesel sheel
that i
need to strip.

8/17/2005

Tim O'Connor

At 06:36 PM 8/17/2005, you wrote:

Whoa..Did you mean Scalecoat ll paint remover?Armand Premo
No, he didn't. It's not a lacquer solvent; it won't attack
the styrene. It's not effective against some water base paints
or the notorious Kato paint which seems to resist most every
kind of dissolver.

armprem

For plastic?Armand Premo

The Scalecoat paint remover is a very good product.
Marcelo
Need help in removing paint from plastic shells.

I know it isn't steam freight cars but i have a Stewart diesel sheel
that i
need to strip.

Any help on what to use?

eric

Service.

----

Yahoo! Groups Links

Rob & Bev Manley

Eric,
I have stripped my Stewart FTs for the 3rd time with brake fluid.
They were undecs originally and I've painted them with a Testore Model Master enamel mix first and lastly with Poly Scale Antique white.
The Antique White is real close to Genesis CB&Q Aluminum. At least to me.
The point is that it didn't fracture the Shell's plastic or the Evergreen Styrene plastic I used to fill the gaps in the dynamic hatch. I've had break fluid ruin some plastic and learned the hard way to NOT use it in an Ultrasonic unit. Some old AHM stuff turned into a horrible mess.
Always wear gloves, don't get it on your skin.
It won't blast that goop Walthers used on thier SP SW1 and some ot the newer painted engines or cars. I've had good luck with Branchline boxcars and Pullman cars. Some colors are harder to strip than others like the MEC yellow car, FC reds usually strip fine.
It will work good at first and deteriorate in strength if left open. I put mine in a tupperware type container.
Two things to remember. It's cheap and dangerous.
Remember, Model railroading is FUN
and dangerous.
Rob Manley

Need help in removing paint from plastic shells.

I know it isn't steam freight cars but i have a Stewart diesel sheel that i
need to strip.

Any help on what to use?

eric

Marcelo <mrcustom@...>

They have one type only , I'm not sure they changed the name. I've been using it for more than 15 years.
You have to take care with some old Atlas locomotives made by Kato , don't let them for more than 1 hour into the product.
Marcelo Lordeiro

Whoa..Did you mean Scalecoat ll paint remover?Armand Premo
> The Scalecoat paint remover is a very good product.
> Marcelo

Service.

----

> Yahoo! Groups Links
>

> --

Train travel in italy North american

Marcelo <mrcustom@...>

It's not a lacquer solvent but works on the lacquer based paints.
I 've been having good results even on the Kato stuff.
Keep the shell for half an hour deep into the remover then scrub with a tooth brush. You will remove all the paint.
Marcelo Lordeiro

>Whoa..Did you mean Scalecoat ll paint remover?Armand Premo

No, he didn't. It's not a lacquer solvent; it won't attack
the styrene. It's not effective against some water base paints
or the notorious Kato paint which seems to resist most every
kind of dissolver.

Marcelo <mrcustom@...>

Plastic and brass.
Marcelo Lordeiro

> The Scalecoat paint remover is a very good product.
> Marcelo

Service.

----

> Yahoo! Groups Links
>

> --

I have stripped my Stewart FTs for the 3rd time with brake fluid.
Two things to remember. It's cheap and dangerous. Remember, Model
railroading is FUN and dangerous. Rob Manley
Brake fluid is not dangerous, although like most things you don't
want it in your eyes, mouth or on your hands -- It will remove the
oils and moisture from your hands temporarily. It can be instantly
washed off with drygas or windshield washer fluid but it will make
your skin as dry as paper. And it ATTACKS rubber -- many styrenes
include a form of rubber in them (e.g. Kato, AHM) which is why
they become weak and brittle.

Tim O.

Marcelo Lordeiro <mrcustom@...>

As Tim said brake fluid is dangerous to some plastics.
I have used "Pinhosol", I'm not sure if in the US is the same name or Pinesol.
Works on Athearn stuff.
Marcelo Lordeiro

>> I have stripped my Stewart FTs for the 3rd time with brake fluid.
>> Two things to remember. It's cheap and dangerous. Remember, Model
>> railroading is FUN and dangerous. Rob Manley

Brake fluid is not dangerous, although like most things you don't
want it in your eyes, mouth or on your hands -- It will remove the
oils and moisture from your hands temporarily. It can be instantly
washed off with drygas or windshield washer fluid but it will make
your skin as dry as paper. And it ATTACKS rubber -- many styrenes
include a form of rubber in them (e.g. Kato, AHM) which is why
they become weak and brittle.

Tim O.

Train travel in italy North american

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Tim O'Connor wrote:
Brake fluid . . . ATTACKS rubber -- many styrenes
include a form of rubber in them (e.g. Kato, AHM) which is why
they become weak and brittle.
Not styrene, but ABS, has rubber particles in it (the "B" stands for butadiene).

Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

Tony

ABS == Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene
^^^^^^

Sheesh. You can take the professor outta
the classroom, but...

Tim O.

Not styrene, but ABS, has rubber particles in it (the "B"
stands for butadiene).

Earl Tuson

Brake fluid . . . ATTACKS rubber -- many styrenes
include a form of rubber in them (e.g. Kato, AHM) which is why
they become weak and brittle.
Not styrene, but ABS, has rubber particles in it (the "B"
stands for butadiene).
HIPS (High Impact PolyStyrene) is high impact because it is rubber modified. An example would be Evergreen styrene strips and sheets. ABS, as Tim already pointed out, is a blend.

Earl Tuson