Bob's photos

ed_mines

Why don't you guys suggest to Bob that he sell photos through the
mail?

I placed several orders with Bob through the mail but I could tell
that it was a real imposition to him - I never received some prints
that I ordered several times.

Some time back we had a list of freight cars that Bob sold to
various members of this group including Richard Hendrickson.

Bob has a different model than most of the other guys selling B&W
prints - he prints up several of the same print by a semiautomatic
process rather than one a a time as the prints are ordered. His big
expenses are traveling and time (much of it driving time).

It certainly would be impossible keeping prints of all 100,000
negatives in stock and I doubt they're cataloged either.

A good way to get started would be to hire a computer saavy high
schooler to catalog new batches being printed or prints in inventory
(they could show that list over the internet). They might then
expand to keep inventory of the photos on the aforementioned freight
car list.

I think Bob must weed out the lesser quality quality negatives. If
most customers eyeball prints why print up anything marginal?

If they already have the prints there's very little overhead selling
them through the mail.

Ed Mines

lnbill <bwelch@...>

One correction to Ed's statement. Bob does no printing himself,
automated or otherwise. He has people he uses to make hand prints for
him, at least in B&W, making usually about ten prints of each
negative. I know one of the people who prints for him and he lives in
Maryland. So if he is out of something, it may be awhile until he
will get a group of negatives reprinted.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "ed_mines" <ed_mines@y...> wrote:
[...]

golden1014

Gentlemen,

I talked to Bob about this at the RPM meet in St.
Louis this past weekend. I don't like speaking for
Bob, but since he doesn't have e-mail I'll pass along
a few things he told me about the business, FYI.

He said he was doing a lot of mail order business but
in the last few years a large number of people were
ordering photos and then returning them. He suspected
they were scanning them or using them for a modeling
project and returning the photos when the project was
completed. He also said it's very difficult and
time-consuming for him to re-stock photos since he has
an entire warehouse full of photos, and is getting
away from offering refunds, period. Frankly--in my
opinion--people in this niche business should really
know what they're buying anyway. He said he's only
providing photos by mail to people he knows, or people
he can trust.

Bob is a great asset for us modelers and historians,
and we need to take care of him. He's a great guy and
goes out of his way--literally, to dozens of
meets/shows a year--to provide us a great product.
BTW, he keeps his vast inventory in a bank and makes
frequent withdrawals to send to his printing teams.
Very interesting operation. He also recently bought
several large collections--40K+ photos, slides, and
negatives.

John

John Golden
O'Fallon, IL
http://www.pbase.com/golden1014

2nd Annual St. Louis Railroad Prototype Modeler's Meet
August 20th, 2005
Collinsville, IL
Contact: John Golden, Golden1014@yahoo.com

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

John Golden wrote:
He said he was doing a lot of mail order business but
in the last few years a large number of people were
ordering photos and then returning them. He suspected
they were scanning them or using them for a modeling
project and returning the photos when the project was
completed.
Several photo sellers have reported this. It's a shame that a few take advantage of dealers, and it cuts off mail ordering for everyone. But I suppose it just makes one more reason ya gotta go to Cocoa Beach and Naperville <g>.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

He suspected they were scanning them or using them for a modeling
project and returning the photos when the project was completed.
Several photo sellers have reported this. It's a shame that a few
take advantage of dealers, and it cuts off mail ordering for everyone.
But I suppose it just makes one more reason ya gotta go to Cocoa Beach
and Naperville <g>.
Tony Thompson
Springfield Massachusetts, Tony... in January. Bob has several hundred
books, and chairs to sit on. And there are other excellent photo dealers
there too.

Richard Hendrickson

On Aug 24, 2005, at 8:35 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Springfield Massachusetts, Tony... in January. Bob has several hundred
books, and chairs to sit on. And there are other excellent photo dealers
there too.
Springfield, Mass. in January? When Cocoa Beach, Fla. is an alternative? Give me, as we say, a break. The Springfield meet is all very well for those who already live in the area, but I spent three winters in New England once and I ain't goin' back.

Richard Hendrickson

Jeff English

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@o...>
wrote:
Springfield, Mass. in January? When Cocoa Beach, Fla. is an
alternative? Give me, as we say, a break. The Springfield meet is
all
very well for those who already live in the area, but I spent three
winters in New England once and I ain't goin' back.
As always, I cannot let climate-ist statements like this go
ununaswered. I, for one, will take a northern winter (and the other
three seasons with it) over the wimp-appeal of the sunbelt. Look for
me at Springfield, but not at Cocoa Beach.

Jeff English
Troy, New York

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Aug 24, 2005, at 11:47 PM, Richard Hendrickson wrote:

On Aug 24, 2005, at 8:35 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Springfield Massachusetts, Tony... in January. Bob has several hundred
books, and chairs to sit on. And there are other excellent photo
dealers
there too.
Springfield, Mass. in January? When Cocoa Beach, Fla. is an
alternative? Give me, as we say, a break. The Springfield meet is all
very well for those who already live in the area, but I spent three
winters in New England once and I ain't goin' back.
Richard:

I'll agree with your assessment of the weather, but it is the best train show in the country, bar none. Now, if you have everything you need, as you do or are close to, then Cocoa Beach is a far better alternative. I'll be at both.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Speedwitch Media
645 Tanner Marsh Road, Guilford, CT 06437
info@speedwitch.com
www.speedwitch.com
(650) 787-1912

armprem

Too bad Jeff,we shall miss you. I truly miss Springfield,but when one
looks at the disadvantages of spending the rest of the winter there,Cocoa
Beach wins in a heartbeatArmand Premo

Springfield, Mass. in January? When Cocoa Beach, Fla. is an
alternative? Give me, as we say, a break. The Springfield meet is
all
very well for those who already live in the area, but I spent three
winters in New England once and I ain't goin' back.
As always, I cannot let climate-ist statements like this go
ununaswered. I, for one, will take a northern winter (and the other
three seasons with it) over the wimp-appeal of the sunbelt. Look for
me at Springfield, but not at Cocoa Beach.

Jeff English
Troy, New York

Yahoo! Groups Links

Fred in Vt. <pennsy@...>

Rich,

You're forgiven, and you can come back north anytime. Heck, I live in southern Vermont, and snow season is the best time to sit in a warm shop & build away. Springfield must be doing something right, there is a waiting list of 60 vendors who want to attend.
Plus, it helps to have the major NE cities close by too.
If you get to really missing the place, I could always send a snowball in a cryo-pac !! <LOL>

Fred Freitas

On Aug 24, 2005, at 8:35 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

> Springfield Massachusetts, Tony... in January. Bob has several hundred
> books, and chairs to sit on. And there are other excellent photo
> dealers
> there too.

Springfield, Mass. in January? When Cocoa Beach, Fla. is an
alternative? Give me, as we say, a break. The Springfield meet is all
very well for those who already live in the area, but I spent three
winters in New England once and I ain't goin' back.

Richard Hendrickson

Fred in Vt. <pennsy@...>

List,

Why do I get the impresson these guyz live in a motor home? They don't sem to be in residence much. Just how big a layout can they fit into one of those tag along trailers anyway?
Enquiring minds, etc......
No doubt each show has it's merit, what really counts is the $$$ for gas or airfare. Too much for either, and your buying power is too diminished for the show!!

Fred Freitas
modeling PRR, ca.1953

"You know you're a real Vermonter when your
grandparents drive 60 in blizzards."

Tim O'Connor wrote:
Springfield Massachusetts, Tony... in January.
In January. You ARE kidding.

Publishers of books on railroad history

branchline@...

Jeez Tony, you West Coast types really are wimps... :>)

In fact, its not a real Springfield show if it doesn't snow at least one day... A few years back we had a blizzard the first morning of Springfield. We showed up early to set up the booth and were greeted by a long line of hearty New England model railroaders waiting two hours or more outside - in the blinding snow - to get in! Now them's real model railroaders! Think I even saw Tim in that line....

Now, having said all that - See you at the pool bar in Cocoa Beach!

Bill Schneider

Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...>

branchline@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Jeez Tony, you West Coast types really are wimps... :>)

In fact, its not a real Springfield show if it doesn't snow at least one
day... A few years back we had a blizzard the first morning of Springfield.
We showed up early to set up the booth and were greeted by a long line of
hearty New England model railroaders waiting two hours or more outside - in
the blinding snow - to get in! Now them's real model railroaders! Think I
even saw Tim in that line....
This Tim is a bit wiser - stay in the car with a mug of coffee until just before the doors open. Also, bring a broom to sweep the snow away when leaving.

Tim Gilbert

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Jeez Tony, you West Coast types really are wimps... :>)
Like Richard, I did my time in New England going to graduate school. I've never since missed those winters in any way, shape or form and certainly have no interest in doing it again. There's a number of reasons I choose to live in California and weather is one of them.

Now, having said all that - See you at the pool bar in Cocoa Beach!
Especially if the outdoor bar is working this year <g>.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Dave Owens

You chicken littles are depriving yourselves of the finest train show
in the country. A little snow, a little ice, no problem.

Dave Owens

ljack70117@...

On Thursday, August 25, 2005, at 01:29 PM, <branchline@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Jeez Tony, you West Coast types really are wimps... :>)

In fact, its not a real Springfield show if it doesn't snow at least one
day... A few years back we had a blizzard the first morning of Springfield.
We showed up early to set up the booth and were greeted by a long line of
hearty New England model railroaders waiting two hours or more outside - in
the blinding snow - to get in! Now them's real model railroaders! Think I
even saw Tim in that line....

Now, having said all that - See you at the pool bar in Cocoa Beach!

Bill Schneider
Been in south Florida for 5 years. Get a little wind but have seen no snow yet.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
ljack70117@adelphia.net
Shin: A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor wrote:
Springfield Massachusetts, Tony... in January.
In January. You ARE kidding.
Tony

If there were cab forwards on Donner this winter, I would
be there... Too much sunshine is bad for your brain! And
who wants to play with trains in the basement if the sun
is shining and it's warm outside? Gimme ice and snow, that's
the ticket.

Tim O.

Fred in Vt. <pennsy@...>

Dave,

Let's not tell them how many of us drive 4x4's to have room to haul all the stuff home in the snow.

Fred Freitas
at home in the snow in Vermont

You chicken littles are depriving yourselves of the finest train show
in the country. A little snow, a little ice, no problem.

Dave Owens

Train travel in italy North american

Schuyler Larrabee

OK, so it's a little cold in January in Springfield. Maybe.

My sister called me a few days ago from North Carolina, and mentioned that the temperature was going
to be over 100 for the fourth day in a row, and she was looking forward to it's cooling off into the
90s in a few days. And it was humid.

Another good friend lives in FL. Used to live near Philadelphia. Complains about how his sinuses
give him trouble in FL, because the AC makes things so dry in the house . . .and he has to stay in
the house because of the heat. Wishes he still lived in PA.

OK, so it's a little cold in January in Springfield.

I'll take it.

Besides, it's a great show!

SGL