Topics

The Springfield Show

Shawn Beckert

Okay,

More than a few people here have said the Springfield show is
"the best bar none". I have yet to hear the reason why. What's
the attraction - more tables, more freight car stuff...more snow?
Tell me what makes *this* show special.

Bob Webber, have you been to this one? It would take a lot to get
me to fly clear across the country just to freeze my behind off.

Shawn Beckert, nice and (really) toasty in Burbank...

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Beckert, Shawn wrote:
Bob Webber, have you been to this one? It would take a lot to get
me to fly clear across the country just to freeze my behind off.

Shawn Beckert, nice and (really) toasty in Burbank...
It's a shorter flight to Chicago, and though nearly as far to fly to Florida as Massachusetts, the January weather differs a tad. Bob's Photos has always been at both. Your call, Shawn <g>.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Aug 25, 2005, at 2:04 PM, Beckert, Shawn wrote:

Okay,

More than a few people here have said the Springfield show is
"the best bar none". I have yet to hear the reason why. What's
the attraction - more tables, more freight car stuff...more snow?
Tell me what makes *this* show special.
Shawn:

You are more apt to find good stuff here than anywhere else. Do you remember 30 years ago when you used to attend shows and there was always "good junk" to be found? Well, it's at this show more than anywhere else. It is also attended by a large number of good manufacturers and historical societies. You probably have a good idea what I like and I find this better than any other show, including the NTS at the NMRA.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Speedwitch Media
645 Tanner Marsh Road, Guilford, CT 06437
info@...
www.speedwitch.com
(650) 787-1912

drgwm64 <no17@...>

Somehow I missed this in the digest version....

I have been to it, 3 times. It depends on what you are looking for.
Bob L. has his full inventory at Springfield, he does not at Cocoa
Beach or Naperville. That said, if you call him before hand, and if he
remembers (a dicey possibility after his skull fracture, but he *is*
getting better), he will bring what you ask. However, it should be
also said that I ended up finding Rio Grande photos in binders having
nothing to do with Rio Grande.

I will also mention that weather can play tricks on you - I went to a
Sn3 Symposium in Pasadena in February and it was 10 degrees warmer when
I left O'Hare than it was for the next two days in Pasadena (it was 74
in Chicago).

But... it all boils down to what you want to look for. If you are
looking for photos, resin kits (although mostly eastern kits), a show
that rivals the shows at NMRA conventions with a whole lot more people
attending, then it is a good show to go to - at least once. Go with
friends and have a ball with the famous Sprinfield night life... On the
other hand, if you are looking for ATSF or SP freight car diagrams, or
other such things, I would wait until Naperville or CB for the photos
and kits and then go to the Du Page, Gaithersburg and St. Charles shows
for the paper.

The good thing for you is that from beautiful downtown Burbank, you can
get relatively cheap flights to Midway and to BWI and Dulles (FLYI to
Dulles).

--- In STMFC@..., "Beckert, Shawn" <shawn.beckert@d...>
wrote:

Bob Webber, have you been to this one? It would take a lot to get
me to fly clear across the country just to freeze my behind off.

Shawn Beckert, nice and (really) toasty in Burbank...

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

But... it all boils down to what you want to look for . . . On the
other hand, if you are looking for ATSF or SP freight car diagrams, or
other such things . . .
If you find any SP freight car diagrams anywhere, you will be the first. <VBG>

Publishers of books on railroad history

ljack70117@...

On Thursday, August 25, 2005, at 02:08 PM, Anthony Thompson wrote:

Beckert, Shawn wrote:
Bob Webber, have you been to this one? It would take a lot to get
me to fly clear across the country just to freeze my behind off.

Shawn Beckert, nice and (really) toasty in Burbank...
It's a shorter flight to Chicago, and though nearly as far to
fly to Florida as Massachusetts, the January weather differs a tad.
Bob's Photos has always been at both. Your call, Shawn <g>.

Publishers of books on railroad history
Having a cold wave here in Florida to day. Had to turn the A/C off. Wife's fingers were starting to turn blue from the cold. Little wind, a little rain and mucho cold.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
ljack70117@...
It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end to end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them.

Shawn Beckert

Tony Thompson wrote:

If you find any SP freight car diagrams anywhere, you will be
the first. <VBG>
It's true - unfortunately - that Southern Pacific never produced
a real "diagram book" per se, although from your latest volume I
gather that they at least made an attempt of sorts. However, they
DID make large technical (erection?) drawings of many, if not all
of their freight cars, and these have shown up at various west
coast swap meets in the past.

The small railroad museum next to the Amtrak station in San Diego
had a LARGE collection of paint/lettering diagrams for Southern
Pacific freight equipment, including tank cars and 70-ton covered
hoppers. Nowhere else have I seen 25"x36" (or larger) SP paint and
lettering guides of this sort. Most unfortunately they have had to
move in the last few years, and I understand that gaining access to
their material is not possible, at least for the time being. A very
sad state of affairs...

Shawn Beckert

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Beckert, Shawn wrote:
It's true - unfortunately - that Southern Pacific never produced
a real "diagram book" per se, although from your latest volume I
gather that they at least made an attempt of sorts.
Yes, there was a partial set of diagrams made in 1894-1898 and a couple of other very minor attempts. Never anything complete. As Shawn says, I'm reproducing the 1894 series in my volumes.

Nowhere else have I seen 25"x36" (or larger) SP paint and
lettering guides of this sort.
This is the original size of many of them in Steve Peery's collection of copies from the SP files, which I have tapped for my books, though a fair number of them are about 16 x 24". I think the originals are now at Stanford.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

More than a few people here have said the Springfield show is
"the best bar none". I have yet to hear the reason why. What's
the attraction

Resin vendors: F&C, Sylvan, even Al Westerfield came once...
and specialty resin producers like West Shore, etc

Brass importers: Overland, Coach Yard, River Raisin, Key, MTS,
Railworks, Rail Classics... and brass dealers large and small

Manufacturers: Athearn, Atlas, MDC (pathetic display last year
across from the Athearn mega-display. Hmmmm...), Intermountain,
Branchline, AMB, Tichy, Stewart, City Classics, many specialty
vendors of structures, scenery, bunches of S and O scale vendors
plus Chooch (including Ultra Scale!), all major DCC vendors

Photo & Paper dealers: Many, including Bob's entire collection
(you can easily spend the whole show at Bob's if only the money
would hold out)

Layouts: dozens, literally, including the Amherst Society which
is about 100 modules including a giant, highly detailed hump yard
and modern passenger terminal. And an unbelievable O scale double
track loop with 100+ car trains of mostly O scale brass -- it has
to be seen! How often do you see an O scale GN 2-6-8-0 or a sextet
of beautifully weathered O scale hi tech diesels pulling huge
strings of equally fine freight cars?

Clubs & Societies: many

And 20,000 paying visitors, typically. Even in snowstorms! You'll
meet and talk with dozens of people you know from this list, from
Naperville, from all over the country... It's a gas. Honestly. I
enjoy Cocoa Beach, but it's really a scaled down Naperville, while
Springfield is like nothing else except maybe the NMRA convention
but without the politics.

And the NIGHT LIFE! Well, Al Welch and John Riddell can tell you
all about that. Hoo-ah!

Tim O'Connor

armprem

Shawn.One should not try to compare a Prototype Modeler's Meet.The
Springfield Show is without question a great experience.You should plan to
attend two days.The crowds are so large that at times it is difficult to get
near a dealer's booth.Three or four deep at times.There is something for
everyone.All scales are present.Upwards to two thousand people attend the
two day event.The show is housed in two(at last count)buildings.
A Prototype Modeler's meet has a more narrow focus.The seminars are super
with presentations by some of the best modelers in the country.A real
learning experience.There is an opportunity to ask questions and exchange
ideas.You are bound to meet someone who shares something in common. The
emphasis is on prototype modeling with fewer vendors present.You will have
a choice to attend several presentations as well as seeing displays of
excellent modeling.
It is your choice.It all depends what you are looking for or expect
gain.Hope this helps.Armand Premo

More than a few people here have said the Springfield show is
"the best bar none". I have yet to hear the reason why. What's
the attraction - more tables, more freight car stuff...more snow?
Tell me what makes *this* show special.

Bob Webber, have you been to this one? It would take a lot to get
me to fly clear across the country just to freeze my behind off.

Shawn Beckert, nice and (really) toasty in Burbank...

Yahoo! Groups Links

Westerfield <westerfield@...>

Yes, Patricia and I attended once. The show was great. However, we got caught in a blizzard and the next day the temp went down to 10 below. All the cans of soda in the car burst. With a 4-day turnaround for us we're almost sure to get caught in bad weather so we've never gone again, even though we have a standing invitation. - Al

Fred in Vt. <pennsy@...>

Shawn,

One hint-------you can get unadvertised, and unimaginable discounts at this show. No one wants to haul it home again!! Z to G, and once a live steam dealer; so it appeals to a lot of modelers.
Last Feb I walked out with Red Caboose kits for $8.00 new, IM kits for $12.00. No complaints from me. In to DCC? Two crews install onsite while you wait---and reasonable too.
Old, rare, & obscure brass at decent prices show up every year; first come first happy!! Just to mention a few----

Fred Freitas

More than a few people here have said the Springfield show is
"the best bar none". I have yet to hear the reason why. What's
the attraction - more tables, more freight car stuff...more snow?
Tell me what makes *this* show special.

Bob Webber, have you been to this one? It would take a lot to get
me to fly clear across the country just to freeze my behind off.

Shawn Beckert, nice and (really) toasty in Burbank...

Train travel in italy North american

Fred in Vt. <pennsy@...>

Tim,

You didn't let them loose at the mexican cantina on Rt. 5 did you?

Fred Freitas

>> More than a few people here have said the Springfield show is
>> "the best bar none". I have yet to hear the reason why. What's
>> the attraction

Resin vendors: F&C, Sylvan, even Al Westerfield came once...
and specialty resin producers like West Shore, etc

Brass importers: Overland, Coach Yard, River Raisin, Key, MTS,
Railworks, Rail Classics... and brass dealers large and small

Manufacturers: Athearn, Atlas, MDC (pathetic display last year
across from the Athearn mega-display. Hmmmm...), Intermountain,
Branchline, AMB, Tichy, Stewart, City Classics, many specialty
vendors of structures, scenery, bunches of S and O scale vendors
plus Chooch (including Ultra Scale!), all major DCC vendors

Photo & Paper dealers: Many, including Bob's entire collection
(you can easily spend the whole show at Bob's if only the money
would hold out)

Layouts: dozens, literally, including the Amherst Society which
is about 100 modules including a giant, highly detailed hump yard
and modern passenger terminal. And an unbelievable O scale double
track loop with 100+ car trains of mostly O scale brass -- it has
to be seen! How often do you see an O scale GN 2-6-8-0 or a sextet
of beautifully weathered O scale hi tech diesels pulling huge
strings of equally fine freight cars?

Clubs & Societies: many

And 20,000 paying visitors, typically. Even in snowstorms! You'll
meet and talk with dozens of people you know from this list, from
Naperville, from all over the country... It's a gas. Honestly. I
enjoy Cocoa Beach, but it's really a scaled down Naperville, while
Springfield is like nothing else except maybe the NMRA convention
but without the politics.

And the NIGHT LIFE! Well, Al Welch and John Riddell can tell you
all about that. Hoo-ah!

Train travel in italy North american

Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...>

Armand,

Two corrections - attendance is over 10,000 per day; the show is held in
three buildings now. Besides being a mecca for out-of-town modelers, the
Show is also THE EVENT for the locals and their kids to attend that
weekend. For the serious, its best to arrive before the local mob
arrives - about 11 on Saturday and noon after church on Sunday. Also,
leave well before the Show closes each day before the traffic jams up
exiting through one gate.

Tim Gilbert

armand wrote:

[...]

Freight car
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Freight+car&w1=Train+travel&w2=Freight+car&w3=Canada+train+travel&w4=Train+travel+in+italy&w5=North+american&c=5&s=107&.sig=6EOh7hT6stDpWVhIVo3DSg>
Canada train travel
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Canada+train+travel&w1=Train+travel&w2=Freight+car&w3=Canada+train+travel&w4=Train+travel+in+italy&w5=North+american&c=5&s=107&.sig=n3C1Pv8RSaJFaT7JW4u8_A>

Train travel in italy
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Train+travel+in+italy&w1=Train+travel&w2=Freight+car&w3=Canada+train+travel&w4=Train+travel+in+italy&w5=North+american&c=5&s=107&.sig=XAiaJ8zeKYmEvLL4zQxTOQ>
North american
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=North+american&w1=Train+travel&w2=Freight+car&w3=Canada+train+travel&w4=Train+travel+in+italy&w5=North+american&c=5&s=107&.sig=hg2t3ACQguvSVbdQvlSCLg>

William Keene <wakeene@...>

Yes... 64-degrees F in Pasadena is a bit cold, but I think there are
many that would be looking for that temperature today as the local temp
is nearing 100. Clear, clean (by LA standards), and perfect top down
weather! There is a reason we chose to live in southern California...
lack of snow (in town... as the palm trees are often contrasted with
the white stuff on the near mountains (another relative term) during
the winter months. Yes, we have snow. We just are not forced to drive
in it if we wish to not do so.

-- Bill K.

wrote:

> Bob Webber, have you been to this one? It would take a lot to get
> me to fly clear across the country just to freeze my behind off.
>
> Shawn Beckert, nice and (really) toasty in Burbank...

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

▪  Visit your group "STMFC" on the web.

▪  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.

Armand Premo wrote

The seminars are super with presentations by some of the best
modelers in the country ...
I don't need to point this out to most of you, but not ALL of the
best modelers in the country are into the "RPM scene". There are many
fabulous models on display at Springfield (as there are at regional
shows and meets all over the country). One of my favorite displays
at Springfield is the Pfaudler tables, where superb, scratchbuilt
models of milk trains are on display. And way back in 1989 before
I even knew my A end from a B end, I was awestruck by a Prototype
Modelers' display led by Steve Solombrino, a great modeler who to
my knowledge has never attended a single RPM meet. RPM meets only
attract 1% or less of model railroaders -- you can be sure you are
missing out on a lot of great modeling if that's all you do.

Tim O'Connor

armprem

Tim,I always looked forward to Steve's display of milk cars at
Springfield.No question ,Steve is ahead of the curve.I didn't mean to imply
that all_ the good modelers attended RPM meets....,just some of the
best....Armand Premo

[...]

Bill McCoy <bugsy451@...>

I'm sold. It's a great show. When is it? Does it conflict with Cocoa
Beach?

Bill McCoy
Jax

--- In STMFC@..., "armand" <armprem@s...> wrote:
[...]

8/24/05

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Aug 27, 2005, at 7:08 AM, Bill McCoy wrote:

I'm sold. It's a great show. When is it? Does it conflict with Cocoa
Beach?
Here is the link to the page for the show on the Amherst Railway Society web site. They organize the show. It's Jan. 28-29 this year. http://www.amherstrail.org/show/show.htm

And if you want to sound like an out-of-towner from the get-go, call it "Am-hearst". It's pronounced "Amerst". Make believe the "h" isn't even there. For bonus points, Holyoke is pronounced "whole yoke", not "holy oke".

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Speedwitch Media
645 Tanner Marsh Road, Guilford, CT 06437
info@...
www.speedwitch.com
(650) 787-1912

Fred in Vt. <pennsy@...>

Bill,

There is an airport not far from springfield with bus service direct.
Fred F