Topics

Wabash hoppers

Tim O'Connor

A wreck photo from Decatur IL in 1950, showing a panel-side
Wabash hopper. But look: it appears that the interior of the
car is made smooth by wood sheathing! Any seen this before or
have an explanation?

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/wab/wab-decyd-ajg.jpg

Tim O'Connor

Tom Jones III <tomtherailnut@...>

The only time I have seen wood in a steel hopper was as a repair where the
sidesheets were corroded away and the contents would leak out. I can't tell
whether this is wood or sheet steel in this picture, but it certainly does
look like the interior is sheeted in some way. The formed panel hoppers were
noted for trapping load contents in the panels, as well as excessive
corrosion. Perhaps this one has been either repaired or upgraded to
eliminate that possible problem.

Tom

A wreck photo from Decatur IL in 1950, showing a panel-side
Wabash hopper. But look: it appears that the interior of the
car is made smooth by wood sheathing! Any seen this before or
have an explanation?

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/wab/wab-decyd-ajg.jpg

Dave Nelson <muskoka@...>

I recall reading something that the odd panels used on these cars did not
hold up as well as expected so perhaps Tom is right -- a repair job.

Dave Nelson

The only time I have seen wood in a steel hopper was as a repair where the
sidesheets were corroded away and the contents would leak out. I can't tell
whether this is wood or sheet steel in this picture, but it certainly does
look like the interior is sheeted in some way. The formed panel hoppers were
noted for trapping load contents in the panels, as well as excessive
corrosion. Perhaps this one has been either repaired or upgraded to
eliminate that possible problem.

Tom

Rob Adams

Tim;

The Wabash hopper that I see in that photo is one of their many War-emergency composite hoppers, rather than a panel-sided car. The composite cars had wood sheathing until they were rebuilt later in the 1950's with steel side sheathing. Of perhaps more interest though, is the dinged up Ann Arbor panel side hopper behind the Wabash car. The AA cars in that series numbered only 25 and were, unfortunately, seldom photographed. The photo confirms the use of Miner hand brakes on the AA cars. Thanks for sharing the link.

Regards, Rob Adams

Tim O'Connor wrote:

A wreck photo from Decatur IL in 1950, showing a panel-side
Wabash hopper. But look: it appears that the interior of the
car is made smooth by wood sheathing! Any seen this before or
have an explanation?

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/wab/wab-decyd-ajg.jpg

Train travel <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&;k=Train+travel&w1=Train+travel&w2=Freight+car&w3=Canada+train+travel&w4=Train+travel+in+italy&w5=North+american&c=5&s=107&.sig=ThjIzsvLGHyuil6dLaLY-g> Freight car <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&;k=Freight+car&w1=Train+travel&w2=Freight+car&w3=Canada+train+travel&w4=Train+travel+in+italy&w5=North+american&c=5&s=107&.sig=6EOh7hT6stDpWVhIVo3DSg> Canada train travel <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&;k=Canada+train+travel&w1=Train+travel&w2=Freight+car&w3=Canada+train+travel&w4=Train+travel+in+italy&w5=North+american&c=5&s=107&.sig=n3C1Pv8RSaJFaT7JW4u8_A>
Train travel in italy <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&;k=Train+travel+in+italy&w1=Train+travel&w2=Freight+car&w3=Canada+train+travel&w4=Train+travel+in+italy&w5=North+american&c=5&s=107&.sig=XAiaJ8zeKYmEvLL4zQxTOQ> North american <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&;k=North+american&w1=Train+travel&w2=Freight+car&w3=Canada+train+travel&w4=Train+travel+in+italy&w5=North+american&c=5&s=107&.sig=hg2t3ACQguvSVbdQvlSCLg>

Rob Adams
Wellman, IA
steamera@netins.net
Modeling Keokuk, IA operations and the CB&Q's K&W branch, circa 1938
http://www.KeokukandWesternRR.com

Fred in Vt. <pennsy@...>

Tim,

Might I try another question from this photo.
The car in the center, which I take to be a gondola
has some odd looking oblong cutouts / patches on the lower right side. Are these in fact patch works, or some type of side door outline?
Have seen many types of gonds with small side doors on eastern lines, and would like to model a few. This one in the photo intrigues me.
Anyone care to venture an answer?

Fred Freitas

A wreck photo from Decatur IL in 1950, showing a panel-side
Wabash hopper. But look: it appears that the interior of the
car is made smooth by wood sheathing! Any seen this before or
have an explanation?

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/wab/wab-decyd-ajg.jpg

Train travel in italy North american

Schuyler Larrabee

I don't know about an >answer<, but I'll venture a >guess<, Fred. It looks to me like the next car
out (past the credit listing) is the same kind of car, but it doesn't have that same detail. I
think the small openings at the bottom of the side are a repair of a rusted-out part of the side.

This is an interesting arrangement of cars. Not two lines coming together at a switch, but THREE
lines. I really wonder what transpired here.

SGL

A wreck photo from Decatur IL in 1950, showing a panel-side
Wabash hopper. But look: it appears that the interior of the
car is made smooth by wood sheathing! Any seen this before or
have an explanation?

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/wab/wab-decyd-ajg.jpg

Train travel in italy North american

Terms of Service.

----------------

Jack Mullen

Tim O'Connor asked:>
A wreck photo from Decatur IL in 1950, showing a panel-side
Wabash hopper. But look: it appears that the interior of the
car is made smooth by wood sheathing! Any seen this before or
have an explanation?
Simple explanation: it's not a panel side hopper, it is a war-
emergency car which does have wood sheathing. Note the diagonal braces
and compare to the next car, an Ann Arbor hopper which does have panel
sides.

Jack Mullen

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/wab/wab-decyd-ajg.jpg

Thanks Rob. I see it was an optical illusion that the car
had panels like the one in front of it.

The Wabash hopper that I see in that photo is one of their many
War-emergency composite hoppers, rather than a panel-sided car. The
composite cars had wood sheathing until they were rebuilt later in the
1950's with steel side sheathing. Of perhaps more interest though, is
the dinged up Ann Arbor panel side hopper behind the Wabash car. The AA
cars in that series numbered only 25 and were, unfortunately, seldom
photographed. The photo confirms the use of Miner hand brakes on the AA
cars. Thanks for sharing the link.

Regards, Rob Adams

A wreck photo from Decatur IL in 1950, showing a panel-side
Wabash hopper. But look: it appears that the interior of the
car is made smooth by wood sheathing! Any seen this before or
have an explanation?

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/wab/wab-decyd-ajg.jpg

Tim O'Connor

Eric

Yes it looks that way. I lightened it up a bit and you can see a lot more detail. Anyone who wants
to take a look.

Eric Petersson

Rob wrote:

"The Wabash hopper that I see in that photo is one of their many
War-emergency composite hoppers, rather than a panel-sided car. The
composite cars had wood sheathing until they were rebuilt later in the
1950's with steel side sheathing. Of perhaps more interest though, is
the dinged up Ann Arbor panel side hopper behind the Wabash car. The AA
cars in that series numbered only 25 and were, unfortunately, seldom
photographed. The photo confirms the use of Miner hand brakes on the AA
cars. Thanks for sharing the link."

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

Gatwood, Elden <Elden.Gatwood@...>

Fred;
It looks like a hopper with two-piece sides, like the N&W H-2A hoppers
that were done up that way. The car appears to have been shoveled
partially out, perhaps to clear it for the re-railing/other operations
to come. You can see the centersill through the remaining load on the
floor.

Nevertheless, your comment about the door is still valid. I do not know
of any eastern gons that had these in the latter half of the 20th
century. All the ones I know of had doors in the floor, and most of
these were eliminated before WWII, probably as the reasons for their use
(customers with limited unloading means) went by the wayside.

Elden Gatwood

A wreck photo from Decatur IL in 1950, showing a panel-side
Wabash hopper. But look: it appears that the interior of the
car is made smooth by wood sheathing! Any seen this before or
have an explanation?

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/wab/wab-decyd-ajg.jpg

Train travel in italy North american

Service.

Yahoo! Groups Links

Fred in Vt. <pennsy@...>

Schuyler,

No doubt the end of more than 1 RR career !!

Fred Freitas

I don't know about an >answer<, but I'll venture a >guess<, Fred. It looks to me like the next car
out (past the credit listing) is the same kind of car, but it doesn't have that same detail. I
think the small openings at the bottom of the side are a repair of a rusted-out part of the side.

This is an interesting arrangement of cars. Not two lines coming together at a switch, but THREE
lines. I really wonder what transpired here.

SGL

Fred in Vt. <pennsy@...>

Eldon,

Was thinking along the lines of the 1909 GXL, PRR type with side doors. Have seen as old pix with 1/2 size doors on the side. Was curious if this was one of those, or a repair, which will look great on a model.

Fred Fritas

A wreck photo from Decatur IL in 1950, showing a panel-side
Wabash hopper. But look: it appears that the interior of the
car is made smooth by wood sheathing! Any seen this before or
have an explanation?

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/wab/wab-decyd-ajg.jpg

Train travel in italy North american

Service.

------

Yahoo! Groups Links

Chet French <cfrench@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@c...> wrote:

A wreck photo from Decatur IL in 1950, showing a panel-side
Wabash hopper. But look: it appears that the interior of the
car is made smooth by wood sheathing! Any seen this before or
have an explanation?

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/wab/wab-decyd-ajg.jpg
Tim,

My computer was down for several days so I didn't get to be the first
one to tell you that the car was a WE hopper from the 39000-39399
series. Cars received steel sides in 1956. Photo was taken looking
west just east of the Wabash roundhouse and engine servicing area.
Tracks on the far left are in the B&O yard and the tracks that the
derailed cars are on might be the interchange tracks between the
Wabash and B&O.

Chet French
Dixon, IL

Charlie Vlk

The Wabash car isn't a panel-side hopper but a composite offset twin hopper.
Charlie Vlk

[...]

Glad to see you're paying attention Charlie! :-)

The Wabash car isn't a panel-side hopper but a composite offset twin hopper.
Charlie Vlk

Richard White

"Chet French" wrote
My computer was down for several days so I didn't get to be the first
one to tell you that the car was a WE hopper from the 39000-39399
series. Cars received steel sides in 1956. Photo was taken looking
west just east of the Wabash roundhouse and engine servicing area.
Tracks on the far left are in the B&O yard and the tracks that the
derailed cars are on might be the interchange tracks between the
Wabash and B&O.
Where did Wabash hoppers load coal and how far afield did the haul it?
Or, to rephrase the question, whereabouts might we have expected to see
Wabash hoppers regularly?
Thank you all
Richard White

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

Chet French <cfrench@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Richard White" <rhwhite@b...> wrote:
"Chet French" wrote
My computer was down for several days so I didn't get to be the
first
one to tell you that the car was a WE hopper from the 39000-39399
series. Cars received steel sides in 1956. Photo was taken
looking
west just east of the Wabash roundhouse and engine servicing area.
Tracks on the far left are in the B&O yard and the tracks that the
derailed cars are on might be the interchange tracks between the
Wabash and B&O.
Where did Wabash hoppers load coal and how far afield did the haul
it?
Or, to rephrase the question, whereabouts might we have expected to
see
Wabash hoppers regularly?
Richard,

By 1950, the Wabash served ten mines online in Illinois, Iowa,
and
Missouri. The biggest activity was at Mt Olive and Staunton, IL
where
two mines orginated 10,899 carloads that year. The Mark Twain mine
in
Huntsville, MO, just west of Moberly loaded 8613 cars in 1950, and
the
Pershing Mine in Tracy Iowa, 2853 car loads. Peabody #58 located in
Taylorville, Il loaded 1751 cars. This mine, I believe, was jointly
served by the Wabash and the C&IM. On line tonnage represented about
30% of the total Wabash coal tonnage in 1950.

Most of the coal from the Mt Olive and Staunton area went to power
plants, industrial users, and to the Ann Arbor Railroad for boat and
steam locomotive fuel. Much of it also went to coal chutes on the
Wabash for locomotives. The Ford Motor Company in the Detroit area
received coal from this area in the 1930's and 1940's. Much of the
coal from the Missouri mine went to power plants in the Kansas City
area
and also for use by the Wabash locomotives on the west end of the
railroad. Most of this information comes from an informative article
written by Mark Vaughn titled "Coal on The Wabash" which appeared in
the Winter 1993 issue of "The Banner", the publication of the Wabash
HS.

Wabash hopper cars were also used to protect sand and
gravel loading on-line and also functioned as ballast cars for the
railroad.

Chet French
Dixon, IL

buchwaldfam <duff@...>

OK, two strikes against me for this reply: ot conclusive as far
as final destination, and it was a gondola, not a hopper: however in
the last two issues, Milwaukee Road Historical Association's TMR
magazine ran a two part article covering MILW operations in Sioux
City, Iowa. One photo shows the results of a runaway MILW freight: a
grounded, fairly twisted, freshly painted Wabash war emergency
gondola full of coal.
Mainline Modeler ran some drawings of this car several years
ago. I would like one, but couldn't justify running it on Milwaukee
rails... that photo's my excuse!

Regards,
Phil Buchwald