Topics

AC&Y YELLOW BOXCAR PAINT SCEME

Montford Switzer <ZOE@...>

Does anyone know if this paint scheme was applied to forty foot boxcars
prior to 1960?

Mont Switzer

Tim O'Connor

Does anyone know if this paint scheme was applied to forty foot boxcars
prior to 1960?
Mont Switzer
Not to my knowledge, Mont. The only photo I have of a newly painted
yellow car is dated 1963. ACY also had a "box car red" version of the
billboard scheme but I don't know the exact dates for that either.

Montford Switzer <ZOE@...>

Tim,

Thanks for the help. All of my photos have reweigh dates that do not
reflect when the cars were actually painted.

I do recall that the boxcar red billboard scheme you mention as well as
a blue one with white lettering are well beyond our 1960 limit.

The ACY was an interesting road. They leased a lot of used equipment
which seemed to turn over about every 5 years. Since they did little if
any painting of freight cars themselves, the constant turnover of
rolling stock was what kept the paint schemes up to date.

Thanks again,
Mont Switzer

Does anyone know if this paint scheme was applied to forty foot boxcars
prior to 1960?
Mont Switzer
Not to my knowledge, Mont. The only photo I have of a newly painted
yellow car is dated 1963. ACY also had a "box car red" version of the
billboard scheme but I don't know the exact dates for that either.

Yahoo! Groups Links

Tim O'Connor

The 1963 PS-1 photo shows a USRE label on the car side. Whether
this was part of some sale/leaseback scheme I don't know, but I
think a lot of USRE cars were on lease.

Anyone know when USRE got into the business? I don't recall ever
seeing the logo on any car before 1960, but they were extremely
common soon after that.