Topics

Tank Car decals HELP

Gatwood, Elden <Elden.Gatwood@...>

Folks;

Can anyone tell me what the approximate eras are for the Islington
Station line of decals for tank cars? They have some
interesting-looking sets, but I have no idea as to the appropriate dates
they are good for.

Aside from the Champ decal line, and the nice Microscale decal sets, are
there any other decal sets available in HO that are appropriate for the
timeframe of this list? And, speaking of the Microscale sets, are these
all good for the pre-'60 timeframe, or are these later lettering
schemes?

Are there any tank car manufacturer logos for our era in any of these
sets?

Thanks!

Elden

Shawn Beckert

Elden Gatwood asked:

Can anyone tell me what the approximate eras are for the Islington
Station line of decals for tank cars? They have some
interesting-looking sets, but I have no idea as to the appropriate dates
they are good for.
All the sets I've seen are for post-1960's cars, and in fact there are many
Islington Station decals for which there isn't an accurate kit (tank car or
otherwise) to apply the decals to! It's too bad, because they really did
come out with some sharp sets.

Aside from the Champ decal line, and the nice Microscale decal sets, are
there any other decal sets available in HO that are appropriate for the
timeframe of this list? And, speaking of the Microscale sets, are these
all good for the pre-'60 timeframe, or are these later lettering
schemes?
With Microscale you almost have to go on a set-by-set basis. The time frame
for Microscale sets is all over the map. I would say go to their online list
and punch in whatever company you're looking for, then eyeball the set to see
if it looks like something you can use. That's what I've been doing; I really
try to avoid ordering decals from them sight-unseen. To easy to get burned, as
in the Cotton Belt Blue Streak fiasco.

Shawn Beckert

Miller,Andrew S. <asmiller@...>

Eldon,

Almost all of the ISP decals are contemporary. However, Bill Onorato,
the owner, art department, production mgr and head of shipping ;-) has
been doing this for over twenty years. So "contemporary" is relative.
Bill once told me he would be happy to do steam era cars for me but has
rarely seen good color photos of them. With contemporary cars he
frequently can obtain the assistance of the car's owner- usually in
exchange for a few finished decals.

regards,

Andy Miller

Can anyone tell me what the approximate eras are for the Islington
Station line of decals for tank cars? They have some
interesting-looking sets, but I have no idea as to the appropriate
dates
they are good for.

Aside from the Champ decal line, and the nice Microscale decal sets,
are
there any other decal sets available in HO that are appropriate for the
timeframe of this list? And, speaking of the Microscale sets, are
these
all good for the pre-'60 timeframe, or are these later lettering
schemes?

Are there any tank car manufacturer logos for our era in any of these
sets?

Thanks!

Elden

Yahoo! Groups Links

Fred in Vt. <pennsy@...>

Elden,

For the most part, Islington prints from the late 60's to date. At the last Springfield meet I read nearly all of them, and the dates center on 82 thru 92. Great if your doing RRing today.
My era is 1953, and I found one set that might work, with other bits & pieces, for 1 car.
They are an excellent quaity product going by what modelers here say. When they backdate to the 1940's the line will triple in sales. Till then, oh well.

Fred Freitas

Can anyone tell me what the approximate eras are for the Islington
Station line of decals for tank cars? They have some
interesting-looking sets, but I have no idea as to the appropriate dates
they are good for.

Aside from the Champ decal line, and the nice Microscale decal sets, are
there any other decal sets available in HO that are appropriate for the
timeframe of this list? And, speaking of the Microscale sets, are these
all good for the pre-'60 timeframe, or are these later lettering
schemes?

Are there any tank car manufacturer logos for our era in any of these
sets?

Thanks!

Elden

Travel insurance usa Travel medical insurance Csa travel insurance

ajfergusonca <ajferguson@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Gatwood, Elden" <Elden.Gatwood@h...>
wrote:
, are
there any other decal sets available in HO that are appropriate
for the
timeframe of this list?
Most of Black Cat's decals are pre 1965 (and mosly Canadian) Scales
other than HO are available as well:

NSOX351 North Star Oil 8000 gal. Tank Car(start with
Intermountan 8000)1930s -1971
BAOX #833 Tank car – bow tie Pre 1947
BAOX #358 Tank Car – Roundel 1947-1967
CGTX #1 703 war emergency tank car- 10,000 or 8000 Usgal
(kitbash Tichy)pre 1960s
GATX 20717 Tank car 1930s-1960s
IOX 3248 Imperial Oil tank car(Norwest Kit #120 1930s- 1955
CIL #7011 Tank car 1940s -1970s
MFLX #753 McColl Frontenac tank cars 1930s-1950s
CN #990857 Tank car(Norwest Kit #120) 1930s-1960s
CN #990925 Tank car(1943 war emergency)1940s-1960s
CPR#415408 8 & 10,000 gal. Tank cars(Norwest #120 or
Intermountain)pre 1967
Sinclair Billboard style silver on black

Allen Ferguson

joe binish <joebinish@...>

If any one has not used Black Cat's 'cals- Please do! They are nothing
short of the best I have ever used(this from a 1/72 aircraft modeler, as
well as a resin car builder with 30+ operating on 3 layouts)
The Sinclair set is really slick on the P2K kit.
Joe Binish

Gatwood, Elden <Elden.Gatwood@...>

Thanks for the clarification, Andy.

I may buy a couple sets, just to see if there is useful data there.
They may straddle eras, if I'm lucky.

Take care,

Elden

[...]

Allen;
Thanks very much for that info! Who are good purveyors of these decals?

Have you done either the Norwest kit or the Tichy kitbash? How were
they?

Thanks again,

Elden