Topics

Taylor trucks

Richard Townsend

I have come into possession of a pair of Taylor trucks. My understanding is that Taylors were used exclusively (or almost so) by the Reading. My question is this: what series of cars, if any, would have had Taylor trucks in 1958? I'm looking for a good modeling candidate, which in my case is a car that I can model with an available kit.

--
Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

Rich Yoder

What scale do you model in?

Rich

I have come into possession of a pair of Taylor trucks. My understanding is that Taylors were used exclusively (or almost so) by the Reading. My question is this: what series of cars, if any, would have had Taylor trucks in 1958? I'm looking for a good modeling candidate, which in my case is a car that I can model with an available kit.

--
Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

Yahoo! Groups Links

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Richard Townsend asked:
"I have come into possession of a pair of Taylor trucks. My
understanding is that Taylors were used exclusively (or almost so) by
the Reading. My question is this: what series of cars, if any, would
have had Taylor trucks in 1958?"

Page 68 of the Morning Sun Reading Color Guide shows RDG 102123 from
RDG 101000-102999, Class XMu, 1910 cars remaining in January 1959.
This car has Taylor trucks; photo taken at Shamokin, PA, October 14,
1962. Here's an earlier photo from Ted Culotta's website:
http://www.steamfreightcars.com/gallery/boxauto/rdg102751main.html

"I'm looking for a good modeling candidate, which in my case is a car
that I can model with an available kit."

Oy. From a modeling standpoint, Reading's pre-WWII boxcars are a pain
in the ass. With the exception of their USRA SS boxcars, almost all
classes are tantalizingly close to available kits, but have one or
more significant differences that make building an accurate model
difficult. At first glance, Class XMu looks like an X29 copy.
However, even though this car has flat ends, it has 8-panel sides, a
Hutchins roof, and an IH of 9 ft 3 in, 8 inches taller than the X29.
The height difference is what makes this kitbash difficult -
otherwise, you could use the ends from a Red Caboose kit, the sides
from the Westerfield USRA-design steel boxcar (from the earlier flat
kits), and a Hutchins roof cut from an Accurail SS boxcar. To get the
correct height, you'll need to splice sides and ends.

Red Caboose did offer the X29 as a Reading Class XMt boxcar, which was
a 8 ft 7 in IH car with flat ends; however, it has 10 panel sides vs
the 8 panel sides of the protoype, and I have not seen a photo of
these cars with Taylor trucks (my Reading resources are admittedly
thin). The bottom line - it depends on what compromises that you can
live with.

Ben Hom

Richard Hendrickson

On Sep 1, 2005, at 8:02 PM, benjaminfrank_hom wrote:

Richard Townsend asked:
"I have come into possession of a pair of Taylor trucks. My
understanding is that Taylors were used exclusively (or almost so) by
the Reading. My question is this: what series of cars, if any, would
have had Taylor trucks in 1958?"
"I'm looking for a good modeling candidate, which in my case is a car
that I can model with an available kit."

Oy. From a modeling standpoint, Reading's pre-WWII boxcars are a pain
in the ass.... etc. etc.
Ben got so absorbed in the problems of modeling the Reading's box cars that he overlooked a much easier solution. One series of Reading GML USRA-design 70 ton mill gondolas had Taylor trucks, series 23500-24499 built in 1926. Those cars can be modeled with Westerfield resin kits or, if you're willing to fix some minor shortcomings, Walthers styrene models, and many of them were still in revenue service in 1958. In fact, I have a Col. Chet McCoid photo of RDG 24198 still going strong and in excellent condition in December, 1957. Of course, the Reading gons had 70 ton, not 50 ton, Taylor trucks, but since the journal boxes on most model trucks are oversize anyway, I'll bet the trucks Richard Townsend has would represent the gondola trucks quite convincingly.

Richard Hendrickson

Richard Townsend

Sorry. HO. Ben Hom and Richard Hendrickson guessed right. I should have made that clear at the outset.

"Rich Yoder" <oscale48@comcast.net> wrote:

What scale do you model in?

Rich

I have come into possession of a pair of Taylor trucks. �My understanding
is that Taylors were used exclusively (or almost so) by the Reading. �My
question is this: what series of cars, if any, would have had Taylor trucks
in 1958? �I'm looking for a good modeling candidate, which in my case is a
car that I can model with an available kit.

--
Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.
As low as $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at
http://isp.netscape.com/register

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

Yahoo! Groups Links

--
Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

Richard Townsend

Thanks. The Walthers cars are even on sale right now. I wonder how accurate the p/l is on the Reading model (number aside).

"benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

Oy. �From a modeling standpoint, Reading's pre-WWII boxcars are a pain
in the ass. �With the exception of their USRA SS boxcars, almost all
classes are tantalizingly close to available kits, but have one or
more significant differences that make building an accurate model
difficult. �At first glance, Class XMu looks like an X29 copy. �
However, even though this car has flat ends, it has 8-panel sides, a
Hutchins roof, and an IH of 9 ft 3 in, 8 inches taller than the X29. �
The height difference is what makes this kitbash difficult -
otherwise, you could use the ends from a Red Caboose kit, the sides
from the Westerfield USRA-design steel boxcar (from the earlier flat
kits), and a Hutchins roof cut from an Accurail SS boxcar. �To get the
correct height, you'll need to splice sides and ends.
Ben,

Thanks for your comments. I guess it's not too promising. But for the sides, do you think the sides from the Tichy rebuilt USRA box car would work? Still have the issue of the ends, but that could be overcome some other way.

And thanks to Richard Hendrickson and Rich Yoder for their responses, too.

Rich Townsend