NC&StL and CN flat car (Tichy) trucks

Bruce Smith <smithbf@...>

Folks,

I've been working on a couple Tichy 40' flat car kits (AC&F, 1923 NC&StL
prototype) and I have decided to model one as an NC&StL car and one as a
CN car. My question is what trucks are appropriate for these cars circa
1944? There is a builders photo of NC&StL at the RPI (pay) site
http://railroad.union.rpi.edu/rolling-stock/Flats/Flat-cars-NC&StL-like-Tichy-28-cyc.jpg
that appears to show a cast sideframe truck with an interesting spring
package (4 visible with the center 2 protruding more). I would appreciate
any suggestions on the correct trucks to use on these models.

Thanks
Bruce

Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Tim O'Connor

My question is what trucks are appropriate for these cars
http://railroad.union.rpi.edu/rolling-stock/Flats/Flat-cars-NC&StL-like-Tichy-28-cyc.jpg

Dalman 2-level. Eastern Car Works.

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Bruce Smith asked:
...what trucks are appropriate for these cars:
http://railroad.union.rpi.edu/rolling-stock/Flats/Flat-cars-NC&StL-
like-Tichy-28-cyc.jpg

Tim O'Connor replied:
"Dalman 2-level. Eastern Car Works."

Specifically, Eastern Car Works #9061, currently showing in stock at
Walthers. Sunshine also offers a sprung version which should be
available at Naperville. (I'm not sure who made the ones that Martin
stocks.)

ECW also sells a 70 Ton Dalman Roller Bearing truck (#9065) that they
attribute to a "4 truck flat". Any other applications for this truck?

Ben Hom

James F. Brewer <jfbrewer@...>

I believe John Greene (Bethlehem Car Works) also offers these trucks in cast lead or similar alloy.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD

...what trucks are appropriate for these cars:
http://railroad.union.rpi.edu/rolling-stock/Flats/Flat-cars-NC&StL-
like-Tichy-28-cyc.jpg

Tim O'Connor replied:
"Dalman 2-level. Eastern Car Works."

Specifically, Eastern Car Works #9061, currently showing in stock at
Walthers. Sunshine also offers a sprung version which should be
available at Naperville. (I'm not sure who made the ones that Martin
stocks.)

ECW also sells a 70 Ton Dalman Roller Bearing truck (#9065) that they
attribute to a "4 truck flat". Any other applications for this truck?

Ben Hom

Yahoo! Groups Links

Richard Hendrickson

On Sep 12, 2005, at 6:00 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:

I've been working on a couple Tichy 40' flat car kits (AC&F, 1923 NC&StL
prototype) and I have decided to model one as an NC&StL car and one as a
CN car. My question is what trucks are appropriate for these cars circa
1944? There is a builders photo of NC&StL at the RPI (pay) site
http://railroad.union.rpi.edu/rolling-stock/Flats/Flat-cars-NC&StL- like-Tichy-28-cyc.jpg
that appears to show a cast sideframe truck with an interesting spring
package (4 visible with the center 2 protruding more). I would appreciate
any suggestions on the correct trucks to use on these models.
Bruce, I have both builder's and in-service photos of the 1923 NC&StL 70100-70299 series flat cars, and they were built with, and kept at least into the late 1950s, ARA cast steel trucks with spring planks (Accurail's mis-named "Bettendorf" trucks in HO). The truck you describe does sound like a Dalman, as Tim O'Connor indicated, but though Dalman trucks had been invented by 1923, they weren't used much until later in the decade.

As for the CN flat cars, the photos I have of cars in the 651460-652209, 652210-653268, and 653269-653768 series, all of which can be modeled with the Tichy kit, show them with essentially the same ARA trucks as the NC&StL cars.

Richard Hendrickson

Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...>

Jim Brewer wrote:
"I believe John Greene (Bethlehem Car Works) also offers these trucks in cast lead or similar alloy."

Part #1224 - this model has a different sideframe profile than the ECW or Sunshine trucks:
http://www.bethlehemcarworks.com/Products/Kit_Bits/index.html#Trucks

Ben Hom

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Sep 12, 2005, at 10:43 PM, benjaminfrank_hom wrote:

Specifically, Eastern Car Works #9061, currently showing in stock at
Walthers. Sunshine also offers a sprung version which should be
available at Naperville. (I'm not sure who made the ones that Martin
stocks.)
I believe that the ones Martin has are Dalman one level. If they are supposed to be two level, the person making them forgot to include the step rfrom the first springs to the second ones in the spring package.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Speedwitch Media
645 Tanner Marsh Road, Guilford, CT 06437
info@speedwitch.com
www.speedwitch.com
(650) 787-1912

Tim O'Connor

Richard Hendrickson wrote

http://railroad.union.rpi.edu/rolling-stock/Flats/Flat-cars-NC&StL-like-Tichy-28-cyc.jpg
Bruce, I have both builder's and in-service photos of the 1923 NC&StL
70100-70299 series flat cars, and they were built with, and kept at
least into the late 1950s, ARA cast steel trucks with spring planks
(Accurail's mis-named "Bettendorf" trucks in HO). The truck you
describe does sound like a Dalman, as Tim O'Connor indicated, but
though Dalman trucks had been invented by 1923, they weren't used much
until later in the decade.
I'd agree with you Richard, but the photo does show what looks like a
Dalman truck... My own notes show NC&StL 70100-70199 built 1923 riding
on U-section ARA trucks & KD brakes, while 70200-70299 nuilt 1926 had
Dalman 2-level trucks & KC brakes. I'm not sure where this info came
from at the moment, but it may be from your RMJ 6/1993 article!!

Tim O.

Bruce Smith <smithbf@...>

On Sep 13, 2005, at 7:32 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Richard Hendrickson wrote

[...]

NEAT! So if I did multiple NC&StL models, I could do both series and have both styles of truck... Of course, I'll need to modify the brakes the model with ARA trucks to KD... but it doesn't hurt that I have yet another unbuilt Tichy <VBG>. Now I just have to decide the loads for all of these flats (most likely M5 Stuarts, M7 Priests and/ or M18 Hellcats)... speaking of open loads ;^)

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

__
/ &#92;
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Richard Hendrickson

This morning, I remembered (duh!) that I have a copy of the NC&StL freight car diagram book, so I looked up the flat cars in question and found that 70100-70199 were built in 1923 with ARA cast steel trucks and 70200-70299 were built in 1926 with Dalman two level trucks, which confirms Tim O'Connor's recollection that there were two different series with different trucks. Sorry I didn't do this when the topic first came up.

Richard Hendrickson