Box car at "The Falls"

Clark Propst <cepropst@...>

I believe it was a couple years ago when I first saw a steel rebuilt box car at the MD&W facility at International Falls MN. No one on this list knew anything about it, so I said I would take pictures on our next trip through there. Well, to make a long story somewhat shorter I finally got a look at it again last Saturday. No photos, but it is one of the GN 'Glacier Green' with the standing "happy" goat emblem rebuilts from the middle 50s.
Clark Propst

Guy Wilber

In a message dated 9/15/05 2:08:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
cepropst@... writes:

<< No photos, but it is one of the GN 'Glacier Green' with the standing
"happy" goat emblem rebuilts from the middle 50s. >>

Chet,

The Great Northern began rebuilding their extensive wood sheathed fleet in
July of 1959; these rebuilds were painted red and numbered into the 34000-34999
series. Subsequent rebuild programs were painted red as well.

The first rebuilds painted Glacier Green adorned with the caricature of
"Rocky" were renumbered into the 27000-27799 beginning in December of 1960. I have
a photo of 27086 stenciled 1-1960 proving only a small portion of the "Rocky"
cars would have rolled on rails during the time frame discussed on this list.
There is speculation that 27000 may have been the only car so painted in
1960.

Dr. Staffan Ehnbom has supplied outstanding coverage of the GN fleet within
his many contributions to the GN Historical Society and related publications.

Kindest Regards,

Guy Wilber
Earthquake Faults, Nevada

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

Guy, Oct 95 MLM magazine has a nice article on how to build one of
these cars. The auther states the cars were rebuilt at St Cloud MN
in 60-61. So your photo is correct :)

Chet, you read this? Guy thinks I'm you! I've finally made the big
time!!
Clark Propst
Not from Meaniesoda

Chet French <cfrench@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "rockroll50401" <cepropst@n...> wrote:
Guy, Oct 95 MLM magazine has a nice article on how to build one of
these cars. The auther states the cars were rebuilt at St Cloud MN
in 60-61. So your photo is correct :)

Chet, you read this? Guy thinks I'm you! I've finally made the big
time!!
Clark Propst
Not from Meaniesoda

Well, I have been called Clark a few times, so what does that make me?

Chet French
Dixon, Illinoise