Topics

Trucks On SP Gondolas


Jonathan MARCUS
 

Can anyone tell me which trucks - Dalman or Bettendorf T-section - would be most
appropriate for the late 1940's, early 1950's time-frame? The prototype is the slope-sided
drop bottom gon as modelled by pacific Limited some years back.
Many thanks.
Jon


Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>
 

Jon (not signing his full name) wrote:
Can anyone tell me which trucks - Dalman or Bettendorf T-section - would be most
appropriate for the late 1940's, early 1950's time-frame? The prototype is the slope-sided
drop bottom gon as modelled by pacific Limited some years back.
That depends on which class you want to duplicate, Jon. The G-50-9, -10 and -11 classes all had T-section trucks from either ASF or Bettendorf, but the G-50-12 class of 1000 cars had half T-section (ASF) and half 2-level Dalman trucks from Bettendorf. Classes G-50-11 and -12 are distinguished by a row of rivets on the side sheets where they join to the sloped part. IIRC the Pacific Limited cars don't have that and are therefore G-50-9 or -10.
Those are the as-built trucks. In the 1950s, a number of cars received replacement AAR trucks, so that is a possibility too.

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history


Arthur Marr <ab2lm@...>
 

Tony,
The Pacific Limited G-50-12s' do have the rivets so are correct for that
class. They also have the Dalman trucks. is also Pat is noted for doing
very good research and producing prototype models, witness his many
versions of the 1932 ARA or his multiple versions of the NYC USRA rebuilds.
Too bad he is another victim of the times and we have probably seen the
last of his black boxes.

Art Marr
Reno, NV

are distinguished by a row of rivets on the side sheets where they join
to the sloped part. IIRC the Pacific Limited cars don't have that and
are therefore G-50-9 or -10.
Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history




Yahoo! Groups Links





Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>
 

Arthur Marr wrote:
The Pacific Limited G-50-12s' do have the rivets so are correct for that
class. They also have the Dalman trucks. is also Pat is noted for doing
very good research and producing prototype models, witness his many
versions of the 1932 ARA or his multiple versions of the NYC USRA rebuilds.
I have one of the PL cars, but it is packed in an inaccessible way right now, so I couldn't check it directly. Obviously with the Dalmans the car should be in the second half of the -12 number series. (There is much more info on these cars in Volume 1 of the "SP Freight Cars" books.) I agree that Pat's research is usually impeccable and his O scale models uniformly impressive.

Too bad he is another victim of the times and we have probably seen the
last of his black boxes.
From what I've heard, " the times" have little to do with it. But that's not a topic for this list.

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history


Jonathan MARCUS
 

Guys, many thanks for the prompt and authoritative assistance.
Pacific Limited sounds a great loss.
Regards
Jonathan Marcus
Apologies about not puting my full name.


proto48er
 

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Thompson <thompson@s...> wrote:
... Classes G-50-11 and -12
are distinguished by a row of rivets on the side sheets where they
join
to the sloped part. IIRC the Pacific Limited cars don't have that
and
are therefore G-50-9 or -10.
Those are the as-built trucks. In the 1950s, a number of
cars
received replacement AAR trucks, so that is a possibility too.
Just for the record, Pacific Limited imported BOTH types of SP
gondolas in "O" scale. PL#1650 (came with brass T-section Bettendorf
trucks) has no rivet row on the side sheets, and PL#2000 (came with
brass Dalman trucks) does.

A.T. Kott