Topics

cars that sell; plus tank car bashing, etc.

Gatwood, Elden <Elden.Gatwood@...>

Richard;
Thank you very much for looking that up for me. I do not have those
CBCs.

It certainly gives pause for thought about the bashing possibilities,
doesn't it?

BTW, I have a partially-completed bash of an Athearn 3-dome tank done
that is based on a STC 3-dome car pictured in an issue of MM. I hacked
out a portion of each end, re-did the tank bands, and am contemplating
what to do next, like replacing or just modifying the dome access
platform, and potentially re-doing the dome appliances. The basic car
looks a lot like a GATC product, but is not. Was STC absorbed into
GATC? The model looks like it might pass muster.

Although I cannot tell who owned the real car most recently, it sure
looks like GATX, based on the lettering style. Would anyone care to
speculate?

Next, as lousy as it is, the Athearn tank car frame may also be suitable
for bashing into something more closely resembling the GATC pre-war
frame. Has anyone done one of these that met their satisfaction?

Finally, there are those AHM tank cars that resemble the 105A300W of the
mid-50's that AC&F did. Has anyone upgraded one of these to a level
they are happy with?

Have a great day, all.

Elden Gatwood