Topics

Soo line boxcars

Brian J Carlson <brian@...>

How long did the Soo Line "dollar sign" (ok, probably not the right term,
but since I was a kid, I've called it the dollar sign scheme) scheme last
into the mid-late 1950's? I know the larger "SOO LINE" started to appear in
the mid-fifties wondering how quickly older cars were repainted.

Brian J Carlson P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

Ed Hawkins

On Friday, September 23, 2005, at 04:13 PM, Brian J Carlson wrote:

How long did the Soo Line "dollar sign" (ok, probably not the right
term,
but since I was a kid, I've called it the dollar sign scheme) scheme
last
into the mid-late 1950's? I know the larger "SOO LINE" started to
appear in
the mid-fifties wondering how quickly older cars were repainted.
Brian,
I'm pretty sure this subject has been discussed before on this list.
The billboard SOO LINE began to appear in the very early 1950s. An
early example is a George Sisk photo of box car 137190, built new
11-51. A later example of a car still having the "dollar sign" emblem
is a Paul Dunn photo of box car 136802 with a reweigh date of 1958.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Tim O'Connor

To add to what Ed wrote, the 1951 billboard scheme had SOO LINE
close to the door, while the 1953 version moved the SOO and LINE
further away from the door. I don't know the exact date when the
Soo switched to the later style.

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Sep 23, 2005, at 11:36 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

To add to what Ed wrote, the 1951 billboard scheme had SOO LINE
close to the door, while the 1953 version moved the SOO and LINE
further away from the door. I don't know the exact date when the
Soo switched to the later style.
Another interesting thing about the billboard "SOO LINE" is that it was painted the same height height on the car side regardless of height of the car. A very neat thing when a 1932 ARA box car was coupled to a 10'6" AAR box car.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Speedwitch Media
645 Tanner Marsh Road, Guilford, CT 06437
info@speedwitch.com
www.speedwitch.com
(650) 787-1912

Tom Houle <thoule@...>

Note, too, during the initial use of the dollar sign logo, there was no black background behind the Soo logo. The white Soo logo and frame went right onto the car. On freight cars and cabooses, the black background was added later, but I'm not sure when. Perhaps in the fifties?
Tom Houle

On Friday, September 23, 2005, at 04:13 PM, Brian J Carlson wrote:

> How long did the Soo Line "dollar sign" (ok, probably not the right
> term,
> but since I was a kid, I've called it the dollar sign scheme) scheme
> last
> into the mid-late 1950's? I know the larger "SOO LINE" started to
> appear in
> the mid-fifties wondering how quickly older cars were repainted.

Brian,
I'm pretty sure this subject has been discussed before on this list.
The billboard SOO LINE began to appear in the very early 1950s. An
early example is a George Sisk photo of box car 137190, built new
11-51. A later example of a car still having the "dollar sign" emblem
is a Paul Dunn photo of box car 136802 with a reweigh date of 1958.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Travel insurance usa Travel medical insurance Csa travel insurance

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

I posted the SOO $ question to the SOO group. This is tje first
response.
Clark Propst

Soo's "Billnoard" lettering scheme appeared in 1951. Soo repainted
cars
carrying the older "Dollar Sign" scheme as time permitted----I would
guesstimate
about 1/2 to 3/4 of the cars the Soo had were repainted into
Billboard lettering
by 1961.

I recall as late as 1973 (possibly later, mine memory is getting
faulty) you
could spot a 40' box or a 50' DD box still unrepainted and wearing
the Dollar
Sign herald, but they were the exceptions and unless you hung out
around Shops
Yard, Shoreham or Superior, your chances of seeing a car wearing
this scheme was
1 in 12,000 (or whatever the Soo owned in total number of freight
cars by 1973).

All the wooden, steel underframed cars (Dennis and Stu, note how I
put that!)
still in exsistance as Supply or Tool cars in MOW Service as late as
1986 still
carried the dollar sign herald.

Un-resheathed cabooses carried the dollar sign herald until
repainted or
broken up, some as late as the early 1970's.

Keith Meacham

rwitt_2000 <rmwitt@...>

Brian J Carlson wrote: How long did the Soo Line "dollar sign" (ok,
probably not the right term, but since I was a kid, I've called it the
dollar sign scheme) scheme last into the mid-late 1950's? I know the
larger "SOO LINE" started to appear in the mid-fifties wondering how
quickly older cars were repainted.

Ed Hawkins added ... [snip]A later example of a car still having the
"dollar sign" emblem is a Paul Dunn photo of box car 136802 with a
reweigh date of 1958.

There is a Jim Sands photo taken in 1966 of a Soo Line boxcar [#44052]
still painted with the "dollar sign" emblem.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=72614

Bob Witt