Barrett car

raildata@...

In the Morning Sun book "D&H Steam in Color" two of the Barrett tank/hoppers
for roofing granules can clearly seen in a train going north out of Carbondale
PA.

Chuck Yungkurth
Boulder CO

hoghead32 <buckfiveoh@...>

I just posted a picture of a Barrett tankcar taken in 1961. It surely
is an odd duck. This crop of a larger photo is the best I can do at
present. Would anyone out there have any information on this car. The
Md. and Pa RR at this time was hauling slate granules; could this be a
covered hopper?

It is the last photo in the Photo File. Thanks for any info!

Miller, Andrew S. <asmiller@...>

I've seen another photo somewhere of a Barret tank with two different
size domes. We used to refer to it as the dome and half tank car. I
kitbashed a crude model of it many, many years ago.

I believe that Barret was a major supplier of tar for the paving
asphalt industry. Their product name, on the side of the cars, was
"Barret Tarvia".

Champ made decals for this car in HO. I don't know if they are still
available, but their plan book provides details on what the decals
looked like.

regards,

Andy Miller

I just posted a picture of a Barrett tankcar taken in 1961. It surely
is an odd duck. This crop of a larger photo is the best I can do at
present. Would anyone out there have any information on this car. The
Md. and Pa RR at this time was hauling slate granules; could this be a
covered hopper?

It is the last photo in the Photo File. Thanks for any info!

Richard Townsend

It's what amounts to a covered hopper, converted from a tank car by adding slope sheets internally, bottom discharge gates, and hatches on top. Used for hauling roofing gravel. I have a copy of a Railway Age (I think) article about them at home. I'll try to get to it when I can.

--
Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

"hoghead32" <buckfiveoh@...> wrote:

I just posted a picture of a Barrett tankcar taken in 1961. It surely
is an odd duck. This crop of a larger photo is the best I can do at
present. Would anyone out there have any information on this car. The
Md. and Pa RR at this time was hauling slate granules; could this be a
covered hopper?

It is the last photo in the Photo File. Thanks for any info!

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

gary laakso

When W&R imported the 10,000 gallon ACF high walkway tankcar, Micorscale
did a set of silver decals for the Barrett car, MC-4213.

Thomas M. Olsen <tmolsen@...>

The Microscale set MC-4213 cannot be used to do the Barrett LTA Tank-Hopper car used for hauling roofing granules. The logo is similar to the Champ Tarvia decal set, but without the Tarvia in the circle with the Barrett name. The Barrett lettering and the ring of the circle is silver with the background in black. The car body lettering is silver. The Barrett circular logo also is on each end of the tank, but it is slightly smaller than that on the car side. The car in the color photos I have seen is a reddish-pink with a black underframe. Barrett is a division of Allied Chemical and Dye Corporation and in later years the cars were gray in color with Black lettering and a big Allied Chemical label on the tankand the Barrett name was reduced to just "Barrett Division.". There is a color photo of the car in gray in Pennsy Color Guide to Rolling Stock Book #3 by Morning Sun Books. There is the article by John Nehrich in the September 1986 MainLine Modeler.

About a year ago, I had Champ make custom sets from scratch for the Barrett LTA tank hopper car as there is no set available for this car. At that time, Champ was doing custom decal printing and would make the sets you needed, provided that you supplied the data, photos, etc. The minimum was three sets at $15 per set plus the cost of computer graphics time to design the sets. All custom decal printing and reprints were discontinued when Rich Meyer passed away. Champ still has the computer art work for the cars, but they are no longer printing decals. They are selling from stock and have enough stock to do so for at least the next three years.

Tom Olsen
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479

gary laakso wrote:

When W&R imported the 10,000 gallon ACF high walkway tankcar, Micorscale
did a set of silver decals for the Barrett car, MC-4213.

Yahoo! Groups Links