Topics

Springs? Who needs 'em?

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

With all this talk of "equalizing" springs, using real springs, and putting "scene blocks" behind see through springs, I have to laugh at one of my efforts. Blocks behind springs? Heck no, I just filled the things up with epoxy. Worked well. Can't see through them and the car doesn't derail. Does seem sorta odd though.

Mike Brock...KIS [ Note that I left off the last "S". Don't want to upset anyone. Of course I could have used the letter "B" [ Bozo is an accepted term on the STMFC...except, naturally, when applied to your servant ] but, then no one would have known what I meant.

Manfred Lorenz

I understand that the P87 shop will come up with a heftier spring to
be applied in Kadee trucks. It is a metal spring just with a rubbery
coating.

My observation as to the effect real springs have is that they do
actually not depress. To achieve this I always thought of using the
vastly weaker Kadee knuckle springs. What they do is give the whole
truck assembly more flex. A feature more needed if one uses P87
standards. I noticed while testing the droppability of Reboxx 088
wheels in Accurail trucks at the switch point that these also have a
live give and flexibility. I took my index finder for a ride over the
point and saw how the free hanging wheel dropped ever so slightly in
the gap. It was not well enough established to give a big bang but it
was a recognizeable drop of the sideframe.

My approach is to exchange the springs with thicker guitar wire
fabrications on the home shop. This gives the prototypical meat and
does not affect flexing to a degree that would be rated as non-
existant.

To sum it up: Even "rigid" trucks have some flexibility which was
thought (by me) to be an exclusive, and the onle sigfnificant,
feature of sprung trucks.

Manfred