From: Fred in Vt.
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2005 9:14 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Van Dorn ends

List,

Have the unusual Van Dorn patent car ends ever been made available in HO? The ends are the ones that resemble a bullseye target. Also, when were these last seen in service? Thanks to those who can help.

Fred Freitas

Travel insurance usa Travel medical insurance Csa travel insurance

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Al Westerfield wrote:
Fred - I've been working on a project to do a number of cars with Van Dorn ends. They were used on at least 4 different cars circa 1912 but only one road used them in any quantity - an IC 1-1/2 door auto car with, as I recall, 350 cars. All others were minor experiments: 1 B-50-4 for SP, 25 XL for PRR and 1 MILW. I'm hoping to have the XL by next May for the PRRT&HS annual meeting.
If you do the B-50-4 version, Al, I'll buy one.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Richard Hendrickson

On Oct 14, 2005, at 8:43 PM, Anthony Thompson wrote:

Al Westerfield wrote:
Fred - I've been working on a project to do a number of cars with Van
Dorn ends. They were used on at least 4 different cars circa 1912 but
only one road used them in any quantity - an IC 1-1/2 door auto car
with, as I recall, 350 cars. All others were minor experiments: 1
B-50-4 for SP, 25 XL for PRR and 1 MILW. I'm hoping to have the XL by
next May for the PRRT&HS annual meeting.
If you do the B-50-4 version, Al, I'll buy one.
Come on, Thompson, get real. The SP had ONE B-50-4 with a Van Dorn end which was almost certainly retired before or during World War II and you want to model it to run on your layout? Not, of course, that I want to deprive Al W. of a sale, but are you modeling the Southern Pacific Coast Line ca. 1953 or becoming a freight car model collector? The next thing we know, you'll be modeling N&W hopper cars.

Richard Hendrickson

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Richard Hendrickson wrote:
Come on, Thompson, get real. The SP had ONE B-50-4 with a Van Dorn end
which was almost certainly retired before or during World War II and
you want to model it to run on your layout? Not, of course, that I
want to deprive Al W. of a sale, but are you modeling the Southern
Pacific Coast Line ca. 1953 or becoming a freight car model collector?
The next thing we know, you'll be modeling N&W hopper cars.
Richard, Richard. Better cut back on the coffee <g>. Who said anything about running it on the layout? It's such a neat end, it will make a nice addition to my display case (a use you certainly understand for freight cars <bigger G>).

Publishers of books on railroad history

centga@...

The C of Ga had a series of cars with Van Dorn ends. I don't have my information with me at the moment but if anyone is interested I can dig it out. Todd Horton

Fred - I've been working on a project to do a number of cars with Van Dorn ends.
They were used on at least 4 different cars circa 1912 but only one road used
them in any quantity - an IC 1-1/2 door auto car with, as I recall, 350 cars.
All others were minor experiments: 1 B-50-4 for SP, 25 XL for PRR and 1 MILW.
I'm hoping to have the XL by next May for the PRRT&HS annual meeting. - Al
Westerfield
Have the unusual Van Dorn patent car ends ever been made available in
HO? The ends are the ones that resemble a bullseye target. Also, when were
these last seen in service? Thanks to those who can help.

Fred Freitas

International travel insurance
Travel insurance usa Travel medical insurance Csa travel insurance

Yahoo! Groups Links

Ed Mims

The Central of Georgia had 500 40-ton steel underframe box cars with
Van Dorn ends. They were in series 51001--51500, built by Standard
Steel Car in August 1912 at Hammond, Indiana. There is an article
with photos in the Central of Georgia Railway Historical Society's
October-December 2001 issue of THE RIGHT WAY.

Ed Mims
Jacksonville,FL

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, centga@a... wrote:

The C of Ga had a series of cars with Van Dorn ends. I don't have
my information with me at the moment but if anyone is interested I
can dig it out. Todd Horton

Have the unusual Van Dorn patent car ends ever been made
available in
HO? The ends are the ones that resemble a bullseye target. Also,
when were
these last seen in service? Thanks to those who can help.

Fred Freitas

insurance
International travel insurance
Travel insurance usa Travel medical insurance Csa travel
insurance

of Service.

-----------

Yahoo! Groups Links

Westerfield <westerfield@...>

Todd - Yes, I'd very much like to see it. - Al Westerfield

The C of Ga had a series of cars with Van Dorn ends. I don't have my information with me at the moment but if anyone is interested I can dig it out. Todd Horton

Westerfield <westerfield@...>

Can someone scan the article for me? Thanks. - Al Westerfield

The Central of Georgia had 500 40-ton steel underframe box cars with
Van Dorn ends. They were in series 51001--51500, built by Standard
Steel Car in August 1912 at Hammond, Indiana. There is an article
with photos in the Central of Georgia Railway Historical Society's
October-December 2001 issue of THE RIGHT WAY.

Ed Mims
Jacksonville,FL

Walter M. Clark

Al,

Will you make the end available separately? Will they fit your SP
B-50-4 kit? Was the car still in service at the end of 1941 (I know,
it's really too much to hope for)? And, probably an answer I could
get simply by waiting until Tony's next SP Freight Cars book comes out
but will ask now anyway, what number was the SP B-50-4?

Thanks,

Walter M. Clark
Time stopped in November 1941
Riverside, California

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Westerfield" <westerfield@c...> wrote:

Fred - I've been working on a project to do a number of cars with
Van Dorn ends. They were used on at least 4 different cars circa 1912
but only one road used them in any quantity - an IC 1-1/2 door auto
car with, as I recall, 350 cars. All others were minor experiments: 1
B-50-4 for SP, 25 XL for PRR and 1 MILW. I'm hoping to have the XL by
next May for the PRRT&HS annual meeting. - Al Westerfield
Have the unusual Van Dorn patent car ends ever been made
available in HO? The ends are the ones that resemble a bullseye
target. Also, when were these last seen in service? Thanks to those
who can help.

Fred Freitas

insurance International travel insurance
Travel insurance usa Travel medical insurance Csa travel
insurance

Service.

Walter M. Clark

Al (and everyone else),

Oops. As soon as I hit "Send" I realized that you don't have a kit
for the SP B-50-4 (I guess I was thinking about the B-50-6/9). Sorry
for the wasted bandwith.

Walt

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "wmcclark1980" <walterclark@e...> wrote:

[...]

Me, too, Tony and Al (even if it was scrapped before November 1941).

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@s...

Richard Hendrickson wrote:
Come on, Thompson, get real. The SP had ONE B-50-4 with a Van
Dorn end
which was almost certainly retired before or during World War II and
you want to model it to run on your layout? Not, of course, that I
want to deprive Al W. of a sale, but are you modeling the Southern
Pacific Coast Line ca. 1953 or becoming a freight car model collector?
The next thing we know, you'll be modeling N&W hopper cars.
Richard, Richard. Better cut back on the coffee <g>. Who said
anything about running it on the layout? It's such a neat end, it will
make a nice addition to my display case (a use you certainly understand
for freight cars <bigger G>).

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@s...
Publishers of books on railroad history
And, Richard, if all else fails I could letter it for my fictitious
lumber mill railroad (I knew I'd find a use for those Rail Graphics
custom decals sooner or later).

Walter M. Clark
Time stopped in November 1941
Riverside, California

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Will you make the end available separately? Will they fit your SP
B-50-4 kit? Was the car still in service at the end of 1941 (I know,
it's really too much to hope for)? And, probably an answer I could
get simply by waiting until Tony's next SP Freight Cars book comes out
but will ask now anyway, what number was the SP B-50-4?
The car was shown in Cyc photos and was no. 84977. Al's kit for the B -50-6 is for a car which was enlarged in volume (though not in length) over the B-50-1 through -4 designs. And BTW, my records show that car no. 84977 was B-50-2, not B-50-4, though the two classes were quite similar.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Westerfield <westerfield@...>

Walt - I intend to make the pattern so that, like the prototype, it will fit any size car of the period. And of course, since I have the patterns for the B-50-4 I would be stupid not to do that version. If you check out the 1912 Cyc you will see that the SP car has the standard 2 lumber doors in the A end and no safety appliances, meaning it was built prior to July 1911. Unless someone can come up with the car card for it, there is no way to tell whether it even got safety appliances much less lasted to 1941. - Al