Topics

inside view SAL autobox

Don Worthy

Hello group
I'm new to the group and have posted a photo in the photo section. It's an inside shot of a Seaboard Auto Boxcar. It shows one style of Auto Rack (with a car in place) installed.
I've wondered what brand of rack this is and for that matter what model of car it has on it. The photo was dated 1937.
If anyone could tell me something about these, I'd appreciate it.
Don Worthy (new guy)

---------------------------------

Paul & Theri Koehler <buygone@...>

Don:

I don't know what type of rack, but I think that the vehicle is a light duty
International Harvester pickup.

Paul C. Koehler

_____

I'm new to the group and have posted a photo in the photo section. It's an
inside shot of a Seaboard Auto Boxcar. It shows one style of Auto Rack (with
a car in place) installed.
I've wondered what brand of rack this is and for that matter what model of
car it has on it. The photo was dated 1937.
If anyone could tell me something about these, I'd appreciate it.
Don Worthy (new guy)

---------------------------------

_____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

the web.

_____

Don Worthy

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Paul & Theri Koehler" <buygone@e...>
wrote:

Don:

I don't know what type of rack, but I think that the vehicle is a
light duty
International Harvester pickup.

Paul C. Koehler

Thanks Paul. I don't know my old vehicles as well as I should.
Don Worthy

_____

I'm new to the group and have posted a photo in the photo section.
It's an
inside shot of a Seaboard Auto Boxcar. It shows one style of Auto
Rack (with
a car in place) installed.
I've wondered what brand of rack this is and for that matter what
model of
car it has on it. The photo was dated 1937.
If anyone could tell me something about these, I'd appreciate it.
Don Worthy (new guy)

_____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

* Visit your group "STMFC
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFC> " on
the web.

_____

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Don Worthy wrote:
I'm new to the group and have posted a photo in the photo section. It's an inside shot of a Seaboard Auto Boxcar. It shows one style of Auto Rack (with a car in place) installed.
I've wondered what brand of rack this is and for that matter what model of car it has on it. The photo was dated 1937.
Welcome to the list, Don. In 1937, it is certainly an Evans Products loader. I can't see enough to tell if it is an auto loader or a truck loader, which were different models (Types D, E, or F). I'd guess the pickup was "auto-like" in that day, but can't be sure.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Schuyler Larrabee

Don, I assume you mean that photo section of STMFC, not the files section, nor the STMPH area? I
get an error message when I try to go to the photo section of STMFC. What did you title it, anyway?

SGL

I'm new to the group and have posted a photo in the photo
section. It's an inside shot of a Seaboard Auto Boxcar. It
shows one style of Auto Rack (with a car in place) installed.
I've wondered what brand of rack this is and for that matter
what model of car it has on it. The photo was dated 1937.
If anyone could tell me something about these, I'd appreciate it.
Don Worthy (new guy)

---------------------------------

Don Worthy

The photo is Seaboard Auto Box inside view. Sorry about the mix up.
Don Worthy
Ivey, Ga.

Schuyler Larrabee <schuyler.larrabee@verizon.net> wrote:
Don, I assume you mean that photo section of STMFC, not the files section, nor the STMPH area? I
get an error message when I try to go to the photo section of STMFC. What did you title it, anyway?

SGL

I'm new to the group and have posted a photo in the photo
section. It's an inside shot of a Seaboard Auto Boxcar. It
shows one style of Auto Rack (with a car in place) installed.
I've wondered what brand of rack this is and for that matter
what model of car it has on it. The photo was dated 1937.
If anyone could tell me something about these, I'd appreciate it.
Don Worthy (new guy)

---------------------------------

---------------------------------

---------------------------------

Guy Wilber

In a message dated 10/15/05 7:51:35 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
don_worthy@yahoo.com writes:

<< I've wondered what brand of rack this is and for that matter what model of
car it has on it. The photo was dated 1937. >>

Don,

Other than the NYC's own auto rack design and a lone AAR design there was
only one "brand" of auto rack used by 1937, that being the EVANS Auto~Loader.
While several early permanently installed systems were tried none met the
durability and flexibility of the EVANS product. The majority of the NYC racks were
equipped with EVANS components and the AAR design was shelved as the majority
of roads supplying auto cars supported EVANS patented, spring loaded tie down
systems vs. the AAR design. EVANS Products shrewdly offered the AAR use of
their spring loaded tie down system with the stipulation that they (EVANS) be
allowed the exclusive right to manufacture the AAR design. The loan AAR design
ended its short career hauling Nash products out of Wisconsin.

The SAL 9001-9010 series was equipped with the EVANS Type "D" loader and the
9011-9060 series was equipped with EVANS Type "C" loader, neither of which
were equipped with wide wheel pans for truck loading.

The "D" rack differed from the "C" in that the wheel pans offered more
adjustment (in length) to accommodate differences in the vehicle's wheel base. The
Type "D" was also the first model of rack with telescoping support legs.

It appears that both series of SAL auto cars remained equipped with their
respective loaders (at least) through the mid 1950s...somewhat of a rarity at
least in the case of the Type "C" as most were replaced with later designs in the
post WWII years.

Welcome to the list and Kind Regards,

Guy Wilber
Earthquake Faults, Nevada

Paul C. Koehler <buygone@...>

After reading Guy's response that the racks were not for trucks, the
next close match is a 1937 Pontiac. Check the emblem in the center
of the bumper.

Paul C. Koehler

don_worthy@y... writes:

[...]

al_brown03

This raises a related question. If neither commercial model of auto
racks could accommodate trucks (am I understanding that correctly?),
then how were trucks shipped?

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

don_worthy@y... writes:

[...]

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Al Brown asked:

"This raises a related question. If neither commercial model of auto
racks could accommodate trucks (am I understanding that correctly?),
then how were trucks shipped?"

Simple - you ship them in a non-rack equipped auto boxcar (preferably
a 50 ft car with an end door) and accept the fact that you're only
going to fit one or two per car, or ship them on a flat car.

Ben Hom

Don Worthy

May I ask "what is it about the racks that would prohibit the pickup trucks from being carried?". Is it the weight or something? I would think that they were adjustable so as to carry various types and wheel base length autos. I'd like to learn more about such equipment.
Don Worthy

don_worthy@y... writes:

[...]

golden1014

Don,

That view is the interior of one of Seaboard's
home-built A-1 class auto cars, built in 1937.
Seaboard's A and A-1 class cars were virtually the
same--built up from G-6 gons at Jacksonville.

I don't know what kind of loader that is, but that
very photo is in my "Seaboard Steam Era Box Cars"
presentation for the upcoming Naperville meet, and I
hope to get an answer then and will be happy to pass
it along.

John Golden
O'Fallon, IL

Message: 5

I'm new to the group and have posted a photo in the
photo
section. It's an inside shot of a Seaboard Auto
Boxcar. It
shows one style of Auto Rack (with a car in place)
installed.
I've wondered what brand of rack this is and for
that matter
what model of car it has on it. The photo was dated
1937.
If anyone could tell me something about these, I'd
appreciate it.
Don Worthy (new guy)

John Golden
O'Fallon, IL
http://www.pbase.com/golden1014

Guy Wilber

In a message dated 10/16/05 10:24:35 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
don_worthy@yahoo.com writes:

<< May I ask "what is it about the racks that would prohibit the pickup
trucks from being carried?". Is it the weight or something? I would think that they
were adjustable so as to carry various types and wheel base length autos. >>

Don,

Pickups were hauled on EVANS racks as they were all designed to accommodate
both autos and small trucks.

All of the EVANS racks beginning with the Type "C" through the Type "G" were
equipped with sliding wheel pans that adjusted for the wheel base of vehicles.
The majority of these models were built with the standard wheel pans which
were 12 3/8" wide (on early designs) and 13 1/4" wide (starting with the type
"D"). Truck rack designs were equipped with 18 3/8" wide pans which allowed
small trucks built with dual wheels to be loaded (without the removal of the
outside dual) as was done in many instances.

Regards,

Guy Wilber
Earthquake Faults, Nevada

Don Worthy

Thank you John. I wish there had been a car number in the view. Could you tell me what the numbers were for these cars? My Seaboard info is limited. What few hobby dollars I've had has gone for Central of Georgia photos and such. I'm trying to branch out.
Also, could you point me to a photo that would show me what the outside of this type car looks like? Off list, perhaps. I'm at worthy57@alltel.net
Thanks again, John
Don Worthy

John Golden <golden1014@yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]

Worldwide travel insurance Travel trailer insurance International travel insurance Travel insurance usa Travel medical insurance Csa travel insurance