Topics

IOX 2144 & MDC 6k gallon OT tank car

Rob Kirkham <rdkirkham@...>

I've found a photograph at the Glenbow Museum online photo archive at: <http://ww2.glenbow.org/search/archivesPhotosSearch.aspx> that shows IOX 2144 among others, filling with gasoline in Calgary, Alberta in 1943. Use the search term "NA-4281-26" to locate it.

According to Ian Cranstone's Canadian Freight Cars web site, this car was one of a group of 202 cars in series 2052-2253, built June 1915 by CC&F. Through their lives, the cars in this series were variously lettered IOX/CSGX/TCLX.

Based on helpful information provided by Richard Hendrickson on the Type X design, the car appears to be a near match for the Type X cars represented by the MDC Old Timer tank (which requires a new frame). I think the dome on this car may be a little larger than the 6000 gallon UTLX cars I've seen, but the angle of view leaves me uncertain. If it is larger, I'm not sure whether to conclude that implies it is a larger 8000 or 10000 gallon car, or something else (different manufacturer might account for it?)

I'd be interested in any other photo references for this car series.

Rob Kirkham

Richard Hendrickson

On Oct 22, 2005, at 7:48 PM, Rob Kirkham wrote:

[...]

Definitely a UTL Class X tank car, Ron. UTL apparently had a close relationship with Imperial Oil, whose 2,200 car tank car fleet they purchased in 1953, and may have licensed Imperial to have cars built by CC&F to the UTL Class X design. Also, it was definitely a 6K gal. car; the dome doesn't look to me as if it was oversize and the tank wasn't long enough for an 8K gal. Class X.

Richard Hendrickson

Steve and Barb Hile

On Oct 22, 2005, at 7:48 PM, Rob Kirkham wrote:

> I've found a photograph at the Glenbow Museum online photo archive at:
> <http://ww2.glenbow.org/search/archivesPhotosSearch.aspx> that shows
> IOX
> 2144 among others, filling with gasoline in Calgary, Alberta in 1943.
> Use
> the search term "NA-4281-26" to locate it.
>
> According to Ian Cranstone's Canadian Freight Cars web site, this car
> was
> one of a group of 202 cars in series 2052-2253, built June 1915 by
> CC&F.
> Through their lives, the cars in this series were variously lettered
> IOX/CSGX/TCLX.
>
> Based on helpful information provided by Richard Hendrickson on the
> Type X
> design, the car appears to be a near match for the Type X cars
> represented
> by the MDC Old Timer tank (which requires a new frame). I think the
> dome on
> this car may be a little larger than the 6000 gallon UTLX cars I've
> seen,
> but the angle of view leaves me uncertain. If it is larger, I'm not
> sure
> whether to conclude that implies it is a larger 8000 or 10000 gallon
> car, or
> something else (different manufacturer might account for it?)

And Richard Hendrickson replied

Definitely a UTL Class X tank car, Ron. UTL apparently had a close
relationship with Imperial Oil, whose 2,200 car tank car fleet they
purchased in 1953, and may have licensed Imperial to have cars built by
CC&F to the UTL Class X design. Also, it was definitely a 6K gal. car;
the dome doesn't look to me as if it was oversize and the tank wasn't
long enough for an 8K gal. Class X.

Richard Hendrickson

Not only 2144, but also the car to the far right is also a UTLX class X design car. And 2543 appears to be an X-3 design, built after 1917. There were plans and a photo in the 1922 CBC, repeated in TSC number 12 that show IOX 3150, a 10,000 gallon car. I am specualting that COBX 2543 is an 8000 gallon car that could be modeled with Sunshine's X-3 kit for the long, skinny 8000 gallon car (I forget what he calls it

I hope this is also helpful.

Regards,
Steve Hile

Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...>

Richard Hendrickson wrote:

Definitely a UTL Class X tank car, Ron. UTL apparently had a close
relationship with Imperial Oil, whose 2,200 car tank car fleet they
purchased in 1953, and may have licensed Imperial to have cars built by
CC&F to the UTL Class X design.
Imperial Oil was 70% owned by Standard Oil of New Jersey (trade name
ESSO). UTL was the lessor for all "Baby Standard" fleets after the break
up of the Trust in 1911. According to Carr's ROCKEFELLER'S SECRET
WEAPON, UTL insisted upon being the exclusive lessor for companies it
served. As some of the "Baby Standard's" bought operations outside the
Standards Oil framework after the break up of the Trust, the Baby
Standards did own their own tank cars. But the business seems to have
been limited to areas in which the purchased organizations operated -
e.g. Socony Vacuum (later Mobil) purchased the Magnolia Petroleum Co. in
1928, and the MPCX were still in effect in the 1950's; Socony also
purchased a number of small Mid West operators in the 1930's, and their
tank cars operated independently of UTL finally forming the core of tank
cars using the SVX and SVM reporting marks.

IOX was probably kept apart from UTL in an effort to separate Canadian
from American operations until the 1950's.

Tim Gilbert

Also, it was definitely a 6K gal. car;
the dome doesn't look to me as if it was oversize and the tank wasn't
long enough for an 8K gal. Class X.

Richard Hendrickson

Andrew Baird

I have a few shots of IOX cars, but they are the narrow gauge versions in Newfoundland, Canada. One is a single dome, two shots of double dome cars.

Andrew