URTX reefers (was: reefer pix)

buchwaldfam <duff@...>

Great photos!

There is one photo at the link below which shows a prototype which is
very similar to the Walthers horizontal belt steel reefers.

http://www.geocities.com/oldlahistory/urtx37151.jpg

Now, I purchased an Intermountain R-40-23 kit, lettered for URTX
and numbered 37193. I impulse bought it, assuming that it was
correctly lettered; my understanding was that Intermountain only did
prototype paint schemes. Did URTX have both the Walthers AND the
Intermountain style cars in the 37XXX series? Since they are both
steel, swing door, iced reefers, there wouldn't be a distinction in
the ORER. I would take IM's word for it that the scheme is
prototypical for this style of reefer, except that I had to sand the
B&O "overnight" lettering off of an IM PS-1 that I also bought on
impulse.

Thanks in advance,
Phil Buchwald

--- In STMFC@..., "Clark Propst" <cepropst@n...> wrote:

This site has some very nice stuff for Freight Car fans.

http://www.geocities.com/oldlahistory/reefer.html

If this doesn't get you pumped up for Naperville, nothing will. I
can't wait.

Regards,

Tom Wencl

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Phil Buchwald writes:

Now, I purchased an Intermountain R-40-23 kit, lettered for URTX
and numbered 37193. I impulse bought it, assuming that it was
correctly lettered; my understanding was that Intermountain only did
prototype paint schemes.
Well....I hate to be the first one to tell you this...but...uh...Intermountain is not ruled by prototypically correct paint schemes. In fact, the R-40-23 is a very good model of...well...an R-40-23...which was built for PFE in rather large numbers and is an important car in the PFE fleet. NP had a much smaller number of clones of the R-40-23. Other than that...

Mike Brock

Gregg Mahlkov <mahlkov@...>

Mike and list,

When InterMountain first entered the N scale market, I called them about obtaining parts and in a fairly wide ranging discussion, I-M freely admitted that many cars were "approximations", that is, if the car length and door width were the same, the scheme might well be offered. The first GN boxcar was cited as an example.

So, InterMountain makes no public committment to absolute accuracy.

Gregg Mahlkov

Now, I purchased an Intermountain R-40-23 kit, lettered for URTX
and numbered 37193. I impulse bought it, assuming that it was
correctly lettered; my understanding was that Intermountain only did
prototype paint schemes.
Well....I hate to be the first one to tell you
this...but...uh...Intermountain is not ruled by prototypically correct paint
schemes. In fact, the R-40-23 is a very good model of...well...an
R-40-23...which was built for PFE in rather large numbers and is an
important car in the PFE fleet. NP had a much smaller number of clones of
the R-40-23. Other than that...

Mike Brock

Yahoo! Groups Links

buchwaldfam <duff@...>

How about the riveted steel reefers in the last few shots in
RPCyc's latest issue? They look like some form of R-40-??.

As far as Intermountain's prototype paint jobs: Yup. Found
that out the hard way. (Plus, jumping over to the string about paint
stripping: their lettering is REALLY tough to remove. What finally
worked on the PS-1 was to use Scalecoat's stripper on a Q-tip and dab
it on the letters, then rub like mad with the rolled paper stick which
has the cotton removed. Also helps to scratch at it with a fingernail.
Then, after that, I stripped the rest of the paint with more Scalecoat
stripper. And, still had to sand over some of the letter "ghosts" with
1000 grit w&d). But back to the point: I had resolved myself to the
fact that the lettering was incorrect and have a set of Microscale NP
decals in the closet. Was just hoping it was prototypical: the paint
job is much better than the two Walthers reefers that are also
numbered in that block.
Best regards,
Phil Buchwald