Ice Operations

Jim Betz

Tony (or anyone else),

Where can I find descriptions of the various jobs worked at the
ice houses and ice docks? If it is in the PFE book just say so.
Any comparisons of the size of the crews required for ice ops
-vs- what was required after mech reefers were adopted?
TIA ... Jim

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Jim Betz wrote:
Where can I find descriptions of the various jobs worked at the
ice houses and ice docks? If it is in the PFE book just say so.
Typically one splitter, one passer, and one guy on the car top for each pair of car ends. About four to six such crews working in tandem. This is in the book, I think.

Any comparisons of the size of the crews required for ice ops
-vs- what was required after mech reefers were adopted?
Number of guys on the ice deck for mech reefers probably zero <g>. What do you mean by "ops" here? Obviously there had to be personnel checking diesel fuel, temperature levels, etc. at terminals, but far fewer than ice decks.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Jim Betz

I should have stated my interest more clearly - I'm referring to
what went on at and around the ice docks - not the movement of cars
and other things "purely RR" but rather what the ice dock crews did
and when.
It's interesting to me that no one worked inside the reefer
during loading. It seems curious to me that they would have
allowed 'whatever happened' to the blocks of ice when they were
dumped in to be the end result. I could understand that more
easily if the blocks were smaller but as large as they were it
is amazing that they didn't care if they ended up 'on end', sideways,
catty-wompous, etc. I always figured that the ice bunkers on the
ends of the cars were filled to 'capacity' a lot of the time ... to
reduce the number of times they would have to be re-loaded in the
course of a trip from say Salinas to San Jose to Martinez to Sacramento
to Reno to Salt Lake, to Denver, to Chicago, to New York, to Boston.
That's a lot of days - even with highly expedited salad express
schedules.
How many times was a reefer re-iced in a trip from Salinas to Boston?
Was there a pre-cooling, loading, let the car come to target temp and
then final top off before transit or what?

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Jim Betz asked:
It's interesting to me that no one worked inside the reefer
during loading. It seems curious to me that they would have
allowed 'whatever happened' to the blocks of ice when they were
dumped in to be the end result. I could understand that more
easily if the blocks were smaller but as large as they were it
is amazing that they didn't care if they ended up 'on end', sideways,
catty-wompous, etc.
There would be no way to work inside, as the bunker was walled off from the car interior. And I think you misunderstand what was done with the ice blocks. The PFE standard was a 300-pound block, and the job of the splitter on the deck was to quarter it, and then the passer moved the 75-pound (more or less) chunks to the car man, who chopped them down to the needed size: chunk (cantaloupe size) or crushed (fist size) as the ice went into the bunker. What went into the bunker was most certainly NOT the 300-pounder or even the 75-pounder. One often sees this wrongly modeled. (all this info is in the PFE book)

I always figured that the ice bunkers on the
ends of the cars were filled to 'capacity' a lot of the time ... to
reduce the number of times they would have to be re-loaded in the
course of a trip from say Salinas to San Jose to Martinez to Sacramento
to Reno to Salt Lake, to Denver, to Chicago, to New York, to Boston.
How many times was a reefer re-iced in a trip from Salinas to Boston?
Was there a pre-cooling, loading, let the car come to target temp and
then final top off before transit or what?
Yes, bunkers were normally filled to the top at each re-icing, but the shipper could specify adding a specific amount if desired.
Obviously frequency of re-icing depended on temperature, but every 24 hours is a good average. In cool weather, it could be much more. And the shipper could specify intervals if desired.
Whether a car was pre-iced was up to the shipper. It is LOADS which are pre-cooled, not cars. The PFE recommendation was for the shipper to pre-cool, as it got the load cool right from the loading time, thus reducing damage claims, and made shipment conditions more consistent. If a shipper ordered a pre-iced car, they usually just loaded it as fast as practical and closed the doors. (A big waste in many cases, as the cold air in the car rapidly drained out with the doors open for loading.) Such a car was ordinarily re-iced before starting transit, but the shipper could specify any arrangement whatever. A brief summary of refrigeration tariffs is also in the PFE book.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Eric Hansmann <ehansmann@...>

Jim Betz wrote:

[...]

I just picked up the new Morning Sun book "Refrigerator Cars Color Guide" by
list member Gene Green. I note eight pages of color photos documenting
reefer icing at a few locations. Several photos depict icing operations on a
large dock in Columbus, Ohio, circa 1962.

While I have not consumed the entire book yet, I have found it a pretty
solid read and have learned much more about reefer operations than I had
previously understood. Thanks Gene!

Eric Hansmann
Morgantown, W. Va.