Freight Car Distribution

bierglaeser <bierglaeser@...>

The following book is listed on eBay with auction ending Oct 27 at 14:35 PDT. Freight Car Distribution And Car Handling In The U.S.A. Item number: 4584218001.

Association American Railroads, Car Service Division, 1956. Hb, blue cloth on boards, good condition, former owner's name at the top of the front free endpaper. 338 pages, 9 1/4" tall.

Is anyone familiar with the contents of this book? Is it useful to modelers interested in operation? Would this book help determine which freight cars ought to be seen on my model RR?

Gene Green

Randy Williamson

At 09:07 PM 10/23/2005, you wrote:
Is anyone familiar with the contents of this book? Is it useful to
modelers interested in operation? Would this book help determine
which freight cars ought to be seen on my model RR?

I have a copy of this book. Very informative on freight car
handling. It can be a little dry reading.

Randy

Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...>

bierglaeser wrote:

The following book is listed on eBay with auction ending Oct 27 at 14:35 PDT. Freight Car Distribution And Car Handling In The U.S.A. Item number: 4584218001.
Association American Railroads, Car Service Division, 1956. Hb, blue cloth on boards, good condition, former owner's name at the top of the front free endpaper. 338 pages, 9 1/4" tall.

Is anyone familiar with the contents of this book? Is it useful to modelers interested in operation? Would this book help determine which freight cars ought to be seen on my model RR?
Gene,

I have the book. While presenting a history, the book's primary purpose was the advocacy of a somewhat rigid application of the freight car service rules. Coughlin did not appreciate the helter skelter system of reloading and routing of foreign car empties which became common practice during and after WW II. Like Droege's 1925 FREIGHT TERMINALS & TRAINS book, there is a seemingly endless series of forms. But in the book, there are some nuggets hidden within the text.

Some of Coughlin's proposals were adopted after 1956 when the AAR formed a "police force" to monitor the adherence to the Car Service Rules. How effective this "police force" was is a different question.

Tim Gilbert

Larry Kline

Gene Green wrote:
The following book is available on eBay: Freight Car Distribution And Car Handling In The United States by E. W. Coughlin, Manager, Railroad Relations, Car Service Division Association American Railroads, Car Service Division, 1956.
Is anyone familiar with the contents of this book? Is it useful to modelers interested in operation? Would this book help determine which freight cars ought to be seen on my model RR?

Gene,
I have this book and find it very interesting. It explains the rationale for the car service rules in great detail. There are chapters on the annual grain rush, coal car distribution, privately owned tanks and reefers, and the post WW II freight car shortage. The author and his employees traveled around the country advocating for the use of the car service rules, so they apparently were aware that the rules weren't always followed.

This book will give you some ideas for operating your model RR and a little help with which freight car types ought to be seen. It won't help much at all with which railroads should be represented.

Larry Kline
Pittsburgh, PA