Naperville Question

Dave Nelson <muskoka@...>

I'm attending the Naperville meet for the first time and as circumstances
have it I need to depart on Saturday evening. Are lots of other folks
leaving then too or is the mass departure normally on Sunday afternoon?
A.K.A. I need a ride to the airport and need to know if it'll be easy to
snag a lift or do I have to make other arraignments? 8-)

Dave Nelson

Richard Hendrickson

On Oct 23, 2005, at 9:37 PM, Dave Nelson wrote:

I'm attending the Naperville meet for the first time and as circumstances
have it I need to depart on Saturday evening. Are lots of other folks
leaving then too or is the mass departure normally on Sunday afternoon?
A.K.A. I need a ride to the airport and need to know if it'll be easy to
snag a lift or do I have to make other arraignments? 8-)
Many of us stay through Sunday morning

Richard Hendrickson

Richard Hendrickson

Apologies to the list for my unfinished answer to Dave Nelson's post. i meant to send it to him off-list but hit the wrong key....

Richard Hendrickson

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

Dave,
You might check to see if the hotel has a shuttle service.

We have had some great bull sessions on Sat night in rooms the vendors
had vacated. Last year several of us from all across the country and
Canada shared stories. A highlight of the trip.

Clark Propst

--- In STMFC@..., "Dave Nelson" <muskoka@c...> wrote:

I'm attending the Naperville meet for the first time and as
circumstances
have it I need to depart on Saturday evening. Are lots of other
folks
leaving then too or is the mass departure normally on Sunday
afternoon?
A.K.A. I need a ride to the airport and need to know if it'll be
easy to
snag a lift or do I have to make other arraignments? 8-)

Dave Nelson

bierglaeser <bierglaeser@...>

I investigated flying into O'Hare or Midway for Naperville. The
Holiday Inn does not have a shuttle to either O'Hare or Midway.
Hiring a limousine, which one must book in advance, was cheaper than
a taxi but still around fifty bucks as I now recall. I found
limousine services online.
Gene Green

--- In STMFC@..., "rockroll50401" <cepropst@n...> wrote:

Dave,
You might check to see if the hotel has a shuttle service.
<snip>

Clark Propst

--- In STMFC@..., "Dave Nelson" <muskoka@c...> wrote:

I'm attending the Naperville meet for the first time and as
circumstances
have it I need to depart on Saturday evening. Are lots of other
folks
leaving then too or is the mass departure normally on Sunday
afternoon?
A.K.A. I need a ride to the airport and need to know if it'll be
easy to
snag a lift or do I have to make other arraignments? 8-)

Dave Nelson

Tim O'Connor

I found "American Taxi" online that offers a $35 rate from
O'Hare to Naperville -- 1-800-244-1177 -- time estimated
at 40 minutes.

I investigated flying into O'Hare or Midway for Naperville. The
Holiday Inn does not have a shuttle to either O'Hare or Midway.
Hiring a limousine, which one must book in advance, was cheaper than
a taxi but still around fifty bucks as I now recall. I found
limousine services online.
Gene Green

Larry Kline

I am traveling from Midway to Naperville by public transportation. CTA
from Midway to the loop. A short walk to the METRA station. METRA from
the loop to Naperville. And a long walk, or Holiday Inn pickup, from
the Naperville RR station to the Holiday Inn. The total cost is $5 or
$6. The travel time is several hours (of railfanning). CTA and Metra
info are online.

Larry Kline
Pittsburgh, PA

I investigated flying into O'Hare or Midway for Naperville. The
> Holiday Inn does not have a shuttle to either O'Hare or Midway.
> Hiring a limousine, which one must book in advance, was cheaper than
> a taxi but still around fifty bucks as I now recall. I found
> limousine services online.
> Gene Green

Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...>

For those driving from the East, it would be advisable to make a pit stop at the last rest stop on the Indiana Toll Road - according to Rand McNally, construction is still going on I-80/I-94 south of Chicago.

Also, tolls on the Illinois Taxway have increased from forty cents to eighty cents per Toll (a total of $2.40 for the three tolls) according to the Taxway's Web Site unless you have I-Pass which is, apparently, good only in Illinois.

Hoping that the Web Site is incorrect, Tim Gilbert

joe binish <joebinish@...>

At the risk of irritating the boss,
My family and I (me driving, wife, 4 kids under 10) spent 3 hours counting
cracks along 80/94 this August. Don't try to get from Gary to Winfield(n of
Naperville) on a Friday @ 3! All those people went to Iowa! Tolls are up,
a few on the north side were $1.
Joe Binish

Tim O'Connor

Hey Mike, this post sounds awfully political to me... and if you
don't step in here I will weigh in on the side of the tax man!

Tim "taxes are WAY too low" O'Connor

For those driving from the East, it would be advisable to make a pit
stop at the last rest stop on the Indiana Toll Road - according to Rand
McNally, construction is still going on I-80/I-94 south of Chicago.

Also, tolls on the Illinois Taxway have increased from forty cents to
eighty cents per Toll (a total of $2.40 for the three tolls) according
to the Taxway's Web Site unless you have I-Pass which is, apparently,
good only in Illinois.

Hoping that the Web Site is incorrect, Tim Gilbert

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

O'Connor says:

Hey Mike, this post sounds awfully political to me... and if you
don't step in here I will weigh in on the side of the tax man!

Tim "taxes are WAY too low" O'Connor
I have my attention riveted on the water level over the road in front of my house and the distance between it and the train room so I'm not too concerned with your tax problem <g>. I COULD become more involved, however, and, of course, my mood isn't real good right now. I'm reminded of the time a few yrs ago when I found myself complaining to my boss just after he had been reamed by someone else. Not a good practice...as I discovered at the time.

Mike Brock...What's a drought?

Gregg Mahlkov <mahlkov@...>

Glad to know you still have power, Mike! And your sense of humor.

Gregg Mahlkov

Hey Mike, this post sounds awfully political to me... and if you
don't step in here I will weigh in on the side of the tax man!

Tim "taxes are WAY too low" O'Connor
I have my attention riveted on the water level over the road in front of my
house and the distance between it and the train room so I'm not too
concerned with your tax problem <g>. I COULD become more involved, however,
and, of course, my mood isn't real good right now. I'm reminded of the time
a few yrs ago when I found myself complaining to my boss just after he had
been reamed by someone else. Not a good practice...as I discovered at the
time.

Mike Brock...What's a drought?

Yahoo! Groups Links

Brian Paul Ehni <behni@...>

A drought can be expressed as a dearth of sunshine.
--
Thanks!

Brian Ehni

From: Mike Brock <brockm@...>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:04:05 -0400
To: <STMFC@...>

O'Connor says:

Hey Mike, this post sounds awfully political to me... and if you
don't step in here I will weigh in on the side of the tax man!

Tim "taxes are WAY too low" O'Connor
I have my attention riveted on the water level over the road in front of my
house and the distance between it and the train room so I'm not too
concerned with your tax problem <g>. I COULD become more involved, however,
and, of course, my mood isn't real good right now. I'm reminded of the time
a few yrs ago when I found myself complaining to my boss just after he had
been reamed by someone else. Not a good practice...as I discovered at the
time.

Mike Brock...What's a drought?

Tim O'Connor

what's a dearth?

A drought can be expressed as a dearth of sunshine.

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Tim O'C wrote:
what's a dearth?
I think it's a kind of a drought.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Tom Houle <thoule@...>

Dearth means a lack of as in, "There's a dearth of early registrations for the Naperville meet".
Tom Houle