Plywood reefers II

Dennis Storzek <dstorzek@...>

--- In STMFC@..., Anthony Thompson <thompson@s...> wrote:

Dennis Storzek wrote:
Care to offer a citation to info on the Soo Line plywood covered
boxcars? ...
There was a photo in Railway Age, I think in the late 1930s. I've
recently been browsing the RA volumes looking for additional freight
car stuff, but wasn't specifically interested in the Soo cars. If you
want me to look back for a citation, I'll do so. The photo was one of
the "Fowler" cars.
Obviously not successful, because it didn't seem to be repeated. Yes, I'd like the citation, and possibly a copy of the article, or at least the photo and caption, at your convenience.

This plywood has
strips of rough sawn veneer on the face ply, which hold paint well,
separated by grooves to make it look like boards....
Dennis, are you aware of the horizontally grooved plywood
that PFE tried out? Photos in the book.
What book? I'm not finding it in "The Great Yellow Fleet".

Dennis Storzek

Tim O'Connor

No, no, Dennis, the -OTHER- book! :-)

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Dennis Storzek wrote:
Obviously not successful, because it didn't seem to be repeated. Yes, I'd
like the citation, and possibly a copy of the article, or at least the
photo and caption, at your convenience.
If I can get it done when on campus tomorrow, will bring to Naperville. Those interested, other than Dennis, can view the copies also.

I wrote:
Dennis, are you aware of the horizontally grooved plywood
that PFE tried out? Photos in the book.
Dennis replied:
What book? I'm not finding it in "The Great Yellow Fleet".
Hee, hee! Good one. There's a lot of reefer facts missing from it. But I meant that other book on reefers . . . try page 134.

Publishers of books on railroad history