UTLX tank cars.

Arnold van Heyst

It's me again.

I have severall UTLX tank cars, for instance the 10,000 gallon type 21
revited tank car by Proto 2000.
Was there also a model of 8,000 gallon?
Did they even existed at all?
When they didn't make a UTLX 8,000 gallon type, how can i make one?

Regards,
Arnold
Netherlands.

Larry Grubb <larry450sl@...>

Arnold,
Proto 2000 8,000 gallon Type 21 UTLX tank cars were produced in 6 road numbers as kits and 6 road numbers as ready to run. Single kits were items 21756 & 21759. 4 pack kit was 21758. 6 RTR cars were item 21896. Kits were released January 1998, RTR June 1998.
Larry Grubb

Arnold <mrdata1968@yahoo.com> wrote:
It's me again.

I have severall UTLX tank cars, for instance the 10,000 gallon type 21
revited tank car by Proto 2000.
Was there also a model of 8,000 gallon?
Did they even existed at all?
When they didn't make a UTLX 8,000 gallon type, how can i make one?

Regards,
Arnold
Netherlands.

Travel trailer insurance International travel insurance Costa rica travel Travel insurance quote Travel insurance policy

---------------------------------

---------------------------------

Bruce Smith

On Sun, November 6, 2005 12:34 pm, Arnold wrote:
It's me again.

I have severall UTLX tank cars, for instance the 10,000 gallon type 21
revited tank car by Proto 2000.
Was there also a model of 8,000 gallon?
Did they even existed at all?
When they didn't make a UTLX 8,000 gallon type, how can i make one?
Arnold,

In general, Union Tank Car (UTLX) built many of its own tank cars, the
X-3. These are available in resin from Sunshine Models in 6,000 gal, two
different 8,000 gal, and a 10,000 gal as well as the just release X-5
insulated pressure (propane) car. UTL built its own cars as well as
contracting with companies like AC&F. While the Type 21 was an AC&F
design, AC&F built cars for UTL to the X-3 design. However, UTL acquired
cars in mergers and buyouts and thus ended up with a number of type 21s.
It is extradinarily difficult from the ORER to tell what class a car is so
you need to work from photos. Life-like has worked with noted tank car
historians and generally I trust their numbering... so if Life-Like offers
an 8k gal type 21 lettered UTLX, it most likely had photo documentation.
If you can't find the model, you can buy any 8k type 21, strip it, paint
it black and use the Champ UTLX decals to letter it. Watch out for
Intermountain's type 27 UTLX cars. At least some of them are completely
fictional, and the one I bought had white lettering instead of the
appropriate yellow lettering.

Regards
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Arnold van Heyst

Well Mr. Smith.......that's very informative you have here.
Are there any stores in the U.S. who sells the decorated UTLX 8,000
by Proto 2000?
I've googled, but nothing to find.
Also, i don't have any experience in building the "X-3" 6,000 gallon
type from Sunshine Models.
Is there someone willing to sell a perfectly build model to me?

Arnold.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Smith" <smithbf@a...> wrote:

[...]

Tim O'Connor

Bruce Smith wrote

If you can't find the model, you can buy any 8k type 21, strip it,
paint it black and use the Champ UTLX decals to letter it.

Urf! If you can find them, Steve Hile made some excellent UTLX decals.
Or perhaps you can persuade Martin to sell you some of his, or maybe
we can prevail on Ted Culotta to do some UTLX decals. The Champ set is
60's era -- minor lettering is absent or "size corrected" to make it
more legible from 3 feet away.

Charles Dean

Ted Culotta has UTLX decals in the "pipeline"... they'll be available soon.

Charles Dean
Speedwitch Models
2213 Frankfort Road
Shelbyville, Kentucky 40065-9470
502.649.7012

www.speedwitch.com

If you can't find the model, you can buy any 8k type 21, strip it,
paint it black and use the Champ UTLX decals to letter it.

Urf! If you can find them, Steve Hile made some excellent UTLX decals.
Or perhaps you can persuade Martin to sell you some of his, or maybe
we can prevail on Ted Culotta to do some UTLX decals. The Champ set is
60's era -- minor lettering is absent or "size corrected" to make it
more legible from 3 feet away.

Yahoo! Groups Links

Bruce Smith

On Sun, November 6, 2005 2:46 pm, Arnold wrote:
Well Mr. Smith.......that's very informative you have here.
Are there any stores in the U.S. who sells the decorated UTLX 8,000
by Proto 2000?
I've googled, but nothing to find.
Also, i don't have any experience in building the "X-3" 6,000 gallon
type from Sunshine Models.
Is there someone willing to sell a perfectly build model to me?

Arnold.
Arnold,

For the P2K kit, try eBay. I think that there are several ongoing auctions
right now. BTW, I try not to pay more than $8.00 per car <G>. As for the
X-3 models, I hear that they are one of the more challenging of Martin's
offerings. I have a bunch waiting for me to build them, and I picked up
even more at Naperville with the new X-5! You may end up paying quite a
bit to someone to get them to build one "perfectly" <VBG>

Regards
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Jim and Lisa Hayes <jimandlisa97225@...>

I hear that they are one of the more challenging of Martin's
offerings.
The Sunshine X-3s are not as easy as a boxcar or gondola but are not
impossible to build. I have several on the shelf that I think are harder.
I've built 2 of the X-3s and have 2 more in my queue plus the X-5 I picked
up at Naperville.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon