placing rivets

Jim Betz

Ted,
Wouldn't it make more sense to have some "rivet spacing templates"
with different spacings of the line of holes on them. And have them
created on a CNC machine. And you lay them over the car side and
put the small drill thru. This should be a piece of cake for any one
with a CNC mill to create because the programming is very simple.
I have a client who "owes me some favors" who has all of the
equipment to do this ... what I don't know is "how big you want the
template to be". What I'm talking about is the physical size of
the template itself in terms of width, lenght, and thickness. You
want these out of brass or some other material? (Yes, I'm saying
I might have more than just one done. (We've met and I live in
San Jose.)

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Nov 9, 2005, at 1:36 PM, Jim Betz wrote:

Ted,
Wouldn't it make more sense to have some "rivet spacing templates"
with different spacings of the line of holes on them. And have them
created on a CNC machine. And you lay them over the car side and
put the small drill thru. This should be a piece of cake for any one
with a CNC mill to create because the programming is very simple.
I have a client who "owes me some favors" who has all of the
equipment to do this ... what I don't know is "how big you want the
template to be". What I'm talking about is the physical size of
the template itself in terms of width, lenght, and thickness. You
want these out of brass or some other material? (Yes, I'm saying
I might have more than just one done. (We've met and I live in
San Jose.)
Hello Jim:

The issue with a template for what I am thinking of is that the layout and spacing of rivets varies from prototype to prototype. Also, you then impart the dreaded hand drilling element which results in repetitive stress disorders and more broken drill bits. Also, I am looking at this for very specific applications as I am firmly on the stereolithography bandwagon.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Speedwitch Media
645 Tanner Marsh Road, Guilford, CT 06437
info@...
www.speedwitch.com
(650) 787-1912