C&NW color guide for Morning Sun

Tom Wencl <tdwencl@...>

--- Tim O'connor wrote:
[snip]
And keep in mind that some cars have been covered very well in
other places -- like C&NW billboard box cars by Jeff Koehler, for
example. (At one point he was talking about doing a multi-volume
C&NW book series.)
Tim,

Are you referring to Mr. Koeller's article in Mainline Modeler a few
issues back this year or to a book? If I'm not mistaken, I thought
I read that he was working on a book about C&NW slogan boxcars about
a decade ago, but have not heard anymore about it. I believe it was
even advertised in the CNWHS quarterly magazine as a call for photos
back then. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom Wencl
Streamwood, IL

Bob Webber <no17@...>

Or because he has been hoarding the photos for the past 20 years for the book he has written and is about to be published "any day now, I just have to finish a few things on it".

At 05:58 PM 11/9/2005, you wrote:
Tom,
Of course, the reason the author didn't
contact him was because the author didn't know he existed.

A sometimes frustrated Gene Green
Bob Webber

bierglaeser <bierglaeser@...>

Tom,
I can tell you that there is more material out there to be
discovered, color and black and white.

And I can tell you how to find it!

Publish a book on any railroad topic. Almost immediately after
publication the author will be contacted by someone who will want to
know why he wasn't consulted because he has ... whatever, something
the author couldn't find. Of course, the reason the author didn't
contact him was because the author didn't know he existed.

A sometimes frustrated Gene Green

--- In STMFC@..., "Thomas Baker" <bakert@a...> wrote:

In regard to color guides, well, a C&NW color guide would be
invaluable. I have long wondered whether those who do such research
have really uncovered all that is out there. I suppose that's an
unanswerable question. Whether some early railfan photographer
experimented with in the late Forties or early Fifties with color
film, I can't say. I am convinced, however, that more in black and
white is out there. It seems that Bob has a wealth of negatives.
John Gruber purchased the Martarano collection, so I have heard, and
Mr. Martarano once told me that he had many more negatives than he
ever printed up. I noticed on one occasion that he had a repertoire
of refrigerator car photos. All black and white of course, but at
least they provide a guide.

Tom

Bob Webber <no17@...>

Not *all* b/w. There is, as an example, a Fruit Growers Express reefer, 57502 from that collection from that source, taken in Rock Island on 9/12/66 (obviously out of this era).

And, yes, I have purchased quite a number of Mr. Martarano's photos from Mr. Gruber.

At 03:37 PM 11/9/2005, you wrote:
In regard to color guides, well, a C&NW color guide would be invaluable. I have long wondered whether those who do such research have really uncovered all that is out there. I suppose that's an unanswerable question. Whether some early railfan photographer experimented with in the late Forties or early Fifties with color film, I can't say. I am convinced, however, that more in black and white is out there. It seems that Bob has a wealth of negatives. John Gruber purchased the Martarano collection, so I have heard, and Mr. Martarano once told me that he had many more negatives than he ever printed up. I noticed on one occasion that he had a repertoire of refrigerator car photos. All black and white of course, but at least they provide a guide.

Tom
Bob Webber

Thomas Baker

In regard to color guides, well, a C&NW color guide would be invaluable. I have long wondered whether those who do such research have really uncovered all that is out there. I suppose that's an unanswerable question. Whether some early railfan photographer experimented with in the late Forties or early Fifties with color film, I can't say. I am convinced, however, that more in black and white is out there. It seems that Bob has a wealth of negatives. John Gruber purchased the Martarano collection, so I have heard, and Mr. Martarano once told me that he had many more negatives than he ever printed up. I noticed on one occasion that he had a repertoire of refrigerator car photos. All black and white of course, but at least they provide a guide.

Tom

________________________________

Tim O'Connor

Gene, I was just looking at my Color Guide collection the other day
and thinking "Why the heck hasn't anyone done a C&NW book?" :-)

Most of the books contain a wealth of photos from the 1960's and
1970's, and not a few from the 1950's. I have a couple hundred
color slides of freight cars from the 1950's I got from Dan Smith so
I know they exist. Richard is mostly concerned with the pre-1950
era so in his case, color shots are hard to find.

I think the books are an invaluable record and in 20 years it won't
be possible to produce them with the same quality because a lot
of experience and knowledge will have been lost forever.

Anyway, I will reply: old faded cars are fine. Most important to me
is the quality and clarity of the photo. And I'm happy with shots of
cars in MofW service if that was their fate and no other shots are
available. Best of all is an original photo and a repaint photo, to
chronicle the changes the car went through. And yes, plenty of
people model the era after 1960 (at least occasionally), including
many people on this list.

With regard to second-hand cars, especially CGW and M&StL -- I
would check back in those volumes first, and if the same car appears
in those books, then a C&NW repaint would just go into a lower
priority pile... then it would be used only if needed to illustrate a
point, or because it was an exceptionally good photo, or if it were
a very common car in later years.

And keep in mind that some cars have been covered very well in
other places -- like C&NW billboard box cars by Jeff Koehler, for
example. (At one point he was talking about doing a multi-volume
C&NW book series.) So a dozen color photos of those cars might
be less important to a reader than other stuff.

Clear as mud?

Tim O'Connor

Let's take a poll. Well, it would probably be more accurate to
say, "I'd like some feedback."

I am working on the C&NW color guide for Morning Sun. I envision a
two-volume set with 250 to 350 images in each. Richard Hendrickson
recently, and correctly, observed that the color guides aren't of
much use to this group because the use of color slides wasn't
sufficiently widespread before 1960.

bierglaeser <bierglaeser@...>

Let's take a poll. Well, it would probably be more accurate to
say, "I'd like some feedback."

I am working on the C&NW color guide for Morning Sun. I envision a
two-volume set with 250 to 350 images in each. Richard Hendrickson
recently, and correctly, observed that the color guides aren't of
much use to this group because the use of color slides wasn't
sufficiently widespread before 1960.

While I have some material from the 1950s, I expect most of the
material to be from slides exposed in the 1970s and 1980s. The
object is to find those slides taken later than we would wish but
that show cars in their condition and paint as they must have been in
the 1950s or, dare we hope, even earlier.

Here's where I would like some feedback.
If you could only see one slide would you prefer an old faded car
with original paint or a fresh repaint?

Would you want an image of an older car in MOW service if no other
image of that car series was available?

How do you feel about cars from acquired roads painted in the parent
road's colors?

Do any of you model such cars?

I expect most modelers would be interested, to some extent or
another, in the freight cars of the C&NW but not the cabooses,
passenger equipment or maintenance-of-way equipment. If I packed all
the freight car material in one volume and all the rest in the other
would that increase your interest in purchasing the freight car
volume even though you don't model the C&NW directly?

Thank you for any comments you care to make. I suppose it would be
best if you contacted me directly at bierglaeser at yahoo dot com.

Gene Green
Out in the West Texas Town of El Paso