More from LAPL

Bob Webber <no17@...>

A view from the air of a row of buildings in the middle of which is
the Taylor Milling Co. In the lower left half of the picture are seen
tracks and railroad cars. On the right hand side in the row of
buildings is another industry building marked "Standard Frame MFG Co."
http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics27/00048444.jpg

Description The livestock railroad loading dock at L.A. Union
Stockyards at 4500 Downey Road in Vernon on December 1, 1937.
http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics30/00049745.jpg

Exterior view of a portion of the Sperry Flour Co. located in the Los
Angeles central manufacturing district of Vernon. Two railroad cars
are parked in front. Picture taken 7/1/32.
http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics27/00048442.jpg

Exterior view of Sperry Flour Company. Two railroad cars are parked
in front of the building. Note the tall bins labelled: Drifted Snow;
La Pina; Wheat Hearts; Surelay and Suremilk.
http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics27/00048039.jpg

Stranded by a labor strike, a freight train occupies the Southern
Pacific Railroad mainline in Taylor Yard on San Fernando Road on
Monday, February 5, 1951. 90% of SP's 400 available switchmen refused
to report in during the crippling nationwide strike. However, Santa
Fe and Union Pacific Railroads reported switching operations were
nearly normal despite the wage-hour dispute.
http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics26/00047617.jpg

Flagman S. M. Austria passes the word that the Southern Pacific
Railroad strike is on, and hundreds of freight cars come to a halt on
May 24, 1946.
http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics26/00047602.jpg

Description The Southern Pacific's Cornfield Yard is jammed on May
24, 1946, by a labor strike. Across the yard is the freight house on
Spring Street.
http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics26/00047589.jpg

Union Pacific Engine 4230 travels between parked cars at Wilmington Harbor.
http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics42/00040555.jpg

One man brings a barrel of liquor as two men roll the barrel on a
railroad car. The liquor barrels are stacked into the railroad car
and later transported.
http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics42/00040602.jpg

Exterior view of Holly Sugar Plant in Huntington Beach. Railroad cars
are parked outside of the plant.
http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics36/00037514.jpg

Bob Webber

Scott Pitzer

I can't say that I ever tried to learn the lantern and hand signals I've seen in books, but I'm sure I don't remember "The Strike Is On!" being one of them!
Scott Pitzer

Flagman S. M. Austria passes the word that the Southern Pacific
Railroad strike is on, and hundreds of freight cars come to a halt on
May 24, 1946.
http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics26/00047602.jpg

Gregg Mahlkov <mahlkov@...>

Scott,

Not all the hand signals were in books, There were many peculiar to railroads and specific localities. The one the Erie guys used in Lima, Ohio, to indicate "The cut is clear of Hoover St. and Ball Rd." might get one arrested if done on the street. Remember this from my Erie Western-Chicago & Indiana days.

Gregg Mahlkov