i know it's not Sherman Hill, but....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6573970362

tim o.

Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...>

timboconnor@... wrote:

i know it's not Sherman Hill, but....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6573970362 <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6573970362>
Tim,

A VGN hopper could be in Omaha for the same reason that an N&W hopper could be seen on Sherman Hill. It was due to the demand for coal mined in southern West Virginia in Omaha and to the West.

Hoppers owned by the VGN and N&W as well as C&O and L&N had to be returned directly to their owners after being unloaded by fiat of the AAR's Car Service Bureau's Order C-411. Any other road loading a VGN, N&W, C&O or L&N hopper would be in violation of this order.

Tim Gilbert

Tim Gilbert

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

Sidney Wheeler photographed one in Stewartville MN (CGW branch in SE
Minnesota)The car was going to be loaded with iron ore then routed to
Granite City IL.
Clark Propst

Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...>

rockroll50401 wrote:

Sidney Wheeler photographed one in Stewartville MN (CGW branch in SE
Minnesota)The car was going to be loaded with iron ore then routed to
Granite City IL.
When Clark? There were certain years in which Order C-411 was rescinded only to be re-ordered. Still, the most likely reason that the VGN hopper got to Minnesota was that it had been loaded with southern WV Coal for a customer in Minnesota. That the terminating RR (CGW?) reloaded the hopper with iron ore could have been a violation of C-411 if it was in force when Wheeler took his photo.

Tim Gilbert

Clark Propst <cepropst@...>

I said:
Sidney Wheeler photographed one in Stewartville MN (CGW branch in SE
Minnesota)The car was going to be loaded with iron ore then routed to
Granite City IL.
Tim asked:
When Clark? There were certain years in which Order C-411 was rescinded
only to be re-ordered. Still, the most likely reason that the VGN hopper
got to Minnesota was that it had been loaded with southern WV Coal for a
customer in Minnesota.

Tim, the photo was taken 9-9-61 That's why I didn't mention it. Besides the VGN car Sid took snapshots of TP&W, T&NO, SP,Sou, RI, P&S, Milw, L&M, KCS, IC, EJ&E, FtDDM&S, DT&I, C&I, and C&IM. All at Stewartville for iron ore loading. (you should have bought the photo CD when I offered it) I won't speculate on how the CGW got a hold of these cars, but they were commandeered to ship ore. There are CGW train lists from the mid 60s with blocks of NYC and IC hoppers in ore service. I have M&StL records for the late 50s with B&O, NYC and Wab hopper cars hauling ore from SE MN. Of coarse, the entire CGW 3 bay hopper fleet was in this service also.
Clark Propst