Door handles

Jim and Lisa Hayes <jimandlisa97225@...>

I was looking at a Sunshine boxcar door tonight and wondering --
Why is everyone, or almost everyone, satisfied with the molded handle on box
car doors? I've never noticed one trimmed off and replaced with wire. For
some time I've modeled small handles on reefer hatches. Why not door
handles? I'm going to give it a try.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon

Andy Carlson

Yes, Jim, this has been an area of wonderment to me,
also. Actually, using wire may not be that much of an
improvement to the molded on part because the real
handle is a stamped piece of metal (sort of like what
we found on the galvanized steel trashcans of yore),
and is totally NOT round in cross section.I have never
gone beyond just puzzlezing about it. What might
others suggest?
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

wrote:

I was looking at a Sunshine boxcar door tonight and
wondering --
Why is everyone, or almost everyone, satisfied with
the molded handle on box
car doors? I've never noticed one trimmed off and
replaced with wire. For
some time I've modeled small handles on reefer
hatches. Why not door
handles? I'm going to give it a try.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon

Mark Vinski

I've been replacing those with wire for about 40 years. I was very
disappointed to see that even Kadee molds them in place. Filing the
outer surface of the wire flat represents the prototype shape
better.
Mark Vinski -

--- Jim and Lisa Hayes <jimandlisa97225@v...>
wrote:

I was looking at a Sunshine boxcar door tonight and
wondering --
Why is everyone, or almost everyone, satisfied with
the molded handle on box
car doors? I've never noticed one trimmed off and
replaced with wire. For
some time I've modeled small handles on reefer
hatches. Why not door
handles? I'm going to give it a try.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon

--------------------~-->
Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make
Yahoo! your home page
http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/9MtolB/TM

James F. Brewer <jfbrewer@...>

The door handle/latching mechanism is a separate, etched metal part, in the Pocahontas Models N&W boxcar kits (as are many other details)

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD
Pocahontas Models LLC
www.pocahontasmodels.com

I was looking at a Sunshine boxcar door tonight and wondering --
Why is everyone, or almost everyone, satisfied with the molded handle on box
car doors? I've never noticed one trimmed off and replaced with wire. For
some time I've modeled small handles on reefer hatches. Why not door
handles? I'm going to give it a try.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon

Yahoo! Groups Links

Tim O'Connor

Jim

The Detail Associates door & tack boards details set includes
a very nice door handle.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/229-6213