refrigerator car heaters/reefers

ed_mines

I saw a 1943 Bob Collins picture of a reefer train with heaters. Did
both ends of the cars have heaters? There was snow on the roofs of the
cars.

Who installed the heaters, the railroad or the shipper?

I'm surprised at how tall the stacks are, a couple feet above the tops
of the cars.

Was much west coast grown produce shipped during the winter months?

Ed

Tony Thompson

ed_mines wrote:
I saw a 1943 Bob Collins picture of a reefer train with heaters. Did
both ends of the cars have heaters? There was snow on the roofs of the
cars.
The removable heaters went one to a bunker, in each end.

Who installed the heaters, the railroad or the shipper?
In some cases the railroad, but in many cases the car company (SFRD, PFE, FGE).

I'm surprised at how tall the stacks are, a couple feet above the tops
of the cars.
Stacks? What stacks? Tall stacks sound like vents, not heaters.

Was much west coast grown produce shipped during the winter months?
Yes. You've heard of oranges, I'm sure.

Publishers of books on railroad history

ljack70117@...

On Dec 10, 2005, at 2:44 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:

ed_mines wrote:
I saw a 1943 Bob Collins picture of a reefer train with heaters. Did
both ends of the cars have heaters? There was snow on the roofs of the
cars.
The removable heaters went one to a bunker, in each end.

Who installed the heaters, the railroad or the shipper?
In some cases the railroad, but in many cases the car company
(SFRD, PFE, FGE).

I'm surprised at how tall the stacks are, a couple feet above the tops
of the cars.
Stacks? What stacks? Tall stacks sound like vents, not
heaters.

Was much west coast grown produce shipped during the winter months?
Yes. You've heard of oranges, I'm sure.

Publishers of books on railroad history
Do not the heaters belong to the company furnishing the car to the shipper? PFE would be one. When I was a clerk on the Un Pac at Salina Ks, when I had to remove one it was turned over to the PFE Rep.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
ljack70117@...

Tony Thompson

Larry Jackman wrote:
Do not the heaters belong to the company furnishing the car to the
shipper? PFE would be one. When I was a clerk on the Un Pac at Salina
Ks, when I had to remove one it was turned over to the PFE Rep.
Yep, Larry has it exactly right, for cases where the car owner had such equipment. How it worked for URTX or GARX or other straight leasing companies, I don't know.

On Dec 10, 2005, at 3:52 PM, ljack70117@... wrote:

Do not the heaters belong to the company furnishing the car to the
shipper? PFE would be one. When I was a clerk on the Un Pac at Salina
Ks, when I had to remove one it was turned over to the PFE Rep.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
ljack70117@...
A couple more things I would like to say about heaters in cars.
I do not remember seeing more than one heater in a car. When we interchanged the car to another RR we had to check the heater number for our interchange records. So you had to go down into the bunker to read it. The rules were there were to be two people do it. One on top of the car with a rope tied under the other mans arms and when he went down in to the bunker he could be pulled out if he was over come with the CO in the car. Rules are to be broken. Right? I would sit on the edge of the bunker opening and take several deep breaths. The last one I held and went down in the car. I had a pencil and pad of paper and my lantern in my hand and would write the number down and get back out of the car and would not breath until I was well out of the bunker. Once in a while a bum ( I am not PC) would get down in the empty bunker not knowing there was a heater in the car and he would be found when they were unloading the car. These heaters would not keep the car much over 35/36 degrees in full winter. I was told they found one in Salina but I did not see it or know of it first hand.

I will see some of you at Coca Beach in Jan. I do not know if I can make it on the 6th but I will be there the 7th if the good Lord is willing and the creeks don't rise. My wife is on dialysis and I have to get her to the center and then home on Friday the 6th. So I will probably see you early the 7th. Until then.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
ljack70117@...

Tony Thompson

Larry Jackman wrote:
I will see some of you at Coca Beach in Jan. I do not know if I can
make it on the 6th but I will be there the 7th if the good Lord is
willing and the creeks don't rise. . . I will
probably see you early the 7th. Until then.
Looking forward to it, Larry.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Thomas M. Olsen <tmolsen@...>

Tony,

PFE heaters were marked with their name on the heater jacket. I have a
buddy who has a PFE heater in his basement and it is clearly marked as
such. The one that he has is about three feet high and about 1.5 feet
in diameter. Not exactly something that would walk off on it's own!

Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
(302) 738-4292
tmolsen@...

Tony Thompson wrote:

Larry Jackman wrote:

Do not the heaters belong to the company furnishing the car to the
shipper? PFE would be one. When I was a clerk on the Un Pac at Salina
Ks, when I had to remove one it was turned over to the PFE Rep.

Yep, Larry has it exactly right, for cases where the car
owner had such equipment. How it worked for URTX or GARX or other
straight leasing companies, I don't know.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Yahoo! Groups Links

Don Worthy

This is a part of railroading that I've never known anything about. Is it possible to have a photo or a drawing of a heater posted. I'd love to see one.
This, also, makes me wonder if the Boston & Maine used these heaters. I believe that I'd heard that potatoes had to be heated during shipping.
Don W

Tony Thompson wrote:

Larry Jackman wrote:

Do not the heaters belong to the company furnishing the car to the
shipper? PFE would be one. When I was a clerk on the Un Pac at Salina
Ks, when I had to remove one it was turned over to the PFE Rep.

Yep, Larry has it exactly right, for cases where the car
owner had such equipment. How it worked for URTX or GARX or other
straight leasing companies, I don't know.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Yahoo! Groups Links

Train travel Freight car Canada train travel Train travel in italy North american

http://mail.yahoo.com

Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...>

Don Worthy wrote:

This is a part of railroading that I've never known anything about. Is it possible to have a photo or a drawing of a heater posted. I'd love to see one.
This, also, makes me wonder if the Boston & Maine used these heaters. I believe that I'd heard that potatoes had to be heated during shipping.
They may have been used on the B&M, but most of that road's potato traffic originated on the Bangor & Aroostook (BAR).

Tim Gilbert

Tony Thompson

Tom Olsen wrote:
PFE heaters were marked with their name on the heater jacket. I have a
buddy who has a PFE heater in his basement and it is clearly marked as
such. The one that he has is about three feet high and about 1.5 feet
in diameter. Not exactly something that would walk off on it's own!
This would be a charcoal heater; see pages 347 and 412 in the PFE book, 2nd edition for photos. The alcohol heaters which replaced them were much smaller. Naturally PFE marked them, but I bet there was a steady "leakage" rate.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Roger Hinman <rhinman@...>

MDT owned a large quantity of heaters and since they serviced the BAR, it is quite likely their heaters were used

Roger Hinman

On Dec 11, 2005, at 9:28 AM, Tim Gilbert wrote:

Don Worthy wrote:

This is a part of railroading that I've never known anything about. Is
it possible to have a photo or a drawing of a heater posted. I'd love
to see one.
This, also, makes me wonder if the Boston & Maine used these
heaters. I believe that I'd heard that potatoes had to be heated
during shipping.
They may have been used on the B&M, but most of that road's potato
traffic originated on the Bangor & Aroostook (BAR).

Tim Gilbert

~-->
http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/9MtolB/TM