UTLX Tank Cars

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 14, 2005, at 7:20 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:

....The RC car is a good model of an unusual prototype built for the gummint in 1952. As
such, most of the schemes it was sold in were totally bogus.
Largely true, however UTL bought 500 welded 10K ICC-103Ws from AC&F in 1951 (UTLX 490000-49499) that were built to the same AC&F design modeled by RC. Anyone who models 1951 or later (neither Bruce nor I do) can use a couple of these models lettered UTLX. RC has issued UTLX models, but whether the car numbers are correct I don't know.

...The Atlas
insulated car, also an early 1950s car is far more accurate for a wider
variety of schemes. Other cars out there include the Trix 6,000 gal
ICC105, the Athearn triple dome, and "chemical" tank (an insulated ICC105
with a grossly too large "dome").
The less said about the Trix models the better; they're a disaster. Also, as has been pointed out repeatedly on this list, the Athearn three compartment model is grossly oversize and unretreivably inaccurate, and though the Athearn "chemical" tank can be salvaged with a new valve casing and quite a bit of redetailing, it ain't easy.

NONE of these cars should be used as the backbone of a steam era tank car
fleet. The Atlas and Trix cars represent pressurized cars and as such
were much less common than unpressurized cars and the RC car is an
oddball.
True, except see above re: the RC welded car.

Richard Hendrickson

Tim O'Connor

Richard Hendrickson wrote

Largely true, however UTL bought 500 welded 10K ICC-103Ws from AC&F in
1951 (UTLX 49000-49499) that were built to the same AC&F design
modeled by RC. Anyone who models 1951 or later (neither Bruce nor I
do) can use a couple of these models lettered UTLX.
The Red Caboose cars are lettered for 1949, e.g. UTLX #85301. So they
have to be renumbered and get corrected new dates. Red Caboose also
gave some of their government cars numbers belonging to GATC tanks.

I think the tank body is correct for SHPX and others if you replace
the underframe with an ACF Type 27 from Intermountain. See Railmodel
Journal, July 1997.

Tim O.

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 15, 2005, at 6:16 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Richard Hendrickson wrote

Largely true, however UTL bought 500 welded 10K ICC-103Ws from AC&F in
1951 (UTLX 49000-49499) that were built to the same AC&F design
modeled by RC. Anyone who models 1951 or later (neither Bruce nor I
do) can use a couple of these models lettered UTLX.
The Red Caboose cars are lettered for 1949, e.g. UTLX #85301. So they
have to be renumbered and get corrected new dates. Red Caboose also
gave some of their government cars numbers belonging to GATC tanks.
Tim, that's probably because there is a published builder's photo of UTLX 84999, which was built late in 1948, and RC "extrapolated" 85000 series numbers on that basis. However, 84999 was a one-off sample car, and the 49000-49499 series, which were essentially identical, didn't come along until three years later.

Richard Hendrickson

Patrick Wider <pwider@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@o...> wrote:

[...]

Richard, isn't the AC&F SL-SF ICC 103-W 10K gallon tank car correct for the RC model? See
the photo of SL-SF 191020 I just posted to the files section. Note the Diesel Fuel Loading
Only lettering and the yellow dome.

Pat Wider

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 15, 2005, at 9:43 AM, Patrick Wider wrote:

Richard, isn't the AC&F SL-SF ICC 103-W 10K gallon tank car correct for the RC model? See
the photo of SL-SF 191020 I just posted to the files section. Note the Diesel Fuel Loading
Only lettering and the yellow dome.
Yes, it is, and IIRC a couple of other RRs also bought these cars for diesel fuel service.

Richard Hendrickson

Steve and Barb Hile

Here is some additional and corrected information.

UTLX 84999 was, indeed, a one of a kind car. It had a welded tank set on the very common standard UTLX X-3 riveted underframe. So, it could, theoretically be modeled by placing the Red Caboose tank on a Sunshine X-3 underframe. It was built in 1948.

UTLX 49000-49499 were 12000 gallon tanks that look similar to the Red Caboose car, but the tanks are 20% larger. I don't have dimensions, but would wager a guess that the increase was more in diameter than in lenght. They were built as ACF lot 3555A in 1951.

UTLX 39000-39499 were the 10000 gallon tanks the most closely match the Red Caboose car. These 500 cars were ACF lot 3555 in 1951. The underframes were NOT standard design UTLX, but rather more stock ACF.

I hope this helps.

Steve Hile

On Dec 15, 2005, at 6:16 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

> Richard Hendrickson wrote
>
>>> Largely true, however UTL bought 500 welded 10K ICC-103Ws from AC&F
>>> in
>>> 1951 (UTLX 49000-49499) that were built to the same AC&F design
>>> modeled by RC. Anyone who models 1951 or later (neither Bruce nor I
>>> do) can use a couple of these models lettered UTLX.
>
> The Red Caboose cars are lettered for 1949, e.g. UTLX #85301. So they
> have to be renumbered and get corrected new dates. Red Caboose also
> gave some of their government cars numbers belonging to GATC tanks.

Tim, that's probably because there is a published builder's photo of
UTLX 84999, which was built late in 1948, and RC "extrapolated" 85000
series numbers on that basis. However, 84999 was a one-off sample car,
and the 49000-49499 series, which were essentially identical, didn't
come along until three years later.

Richard Hendrickson

Train travel in italy North american

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 15, 2005, at 7:32 PM, Steve and Barb Hile wrote:

Here is some additional and corrected information.

UTLX 84999 was, indeed, a one of a kind car. It had a welded tank set on the very common standard UTLX X-3 riveted underframe. So, it could, theoretically be modeled by placing the Red Caboose tank on a Sunshine X-3 underframe. It was built in 1948.

UTLX 49000-49499 were 12000 gallon tanks that look similar to the Red Caboose car, but the tanks are 20% larger. I don't have dimensions, but would wager a guess that the increase was more in diameter than in lenght. They were built as ACF lot 3555A in 1951.

UTLX 39000-39499 were the 10000 gallon tanks the most closely match the Red Caboose car. These 500 cars were ACF lot 3555 in 1951. The underframes were NOT standard design UTLX, but rather more stock ACF.
Thanks, Steve. I hadn't realized that the 49000 series cars were 12K gals.; the only photo I have is a 3/4 view in which the larger tank isn't readily apparent.

Richard Hendrickson

Patrick Wider <pwider@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Steve and Barb Hile" <shile@m...> wrote:

UTLX 39000-39499 were the 10000 gallon tanks the most closely match the Red
Caboose car. These 500 cars were ACF lot 3555 in 1951. The underframes were NOT
standard design UTLX, but rather more stock ACF.

I hope this helps.

Steve Hile
FYI: I've uploaded a photo of UTLX 39150 to the Files section for reference.

Pat Wider

Scott Pitzer

Red Caboose has a new run of welded tank cars in UTLX... but it
looks like they're just additional numbers in the apparently bogus
series they used before. (And again, 1949 NEW dates.)
Scott Pitzer